Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lingard

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator10, Mar 29, 2021.

1. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe. Jones actually ran for 7 yards per carry last year. I think we will definitely see improvement in that area of the offense (with obviously a step back in the passing department).

The bigger question I think is whether Lingard can return to his previous form. If so, he will be very dangerous.

2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I don't think anyone ever really fully returns to previous form after a significant lower body injury... maybe close enough to be good enough, but, seldom as good, or as confident to make cuts and quick starts/stops, as they were.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Pierce is #1A at this point. Reading what I have about Davis and Wright moving to slot makes me think that Lingard is #1B coming out of spring. I expect Bowman to in the thick of things by summer. Hoping he'll gain some weight by then.

It's going to look a lot different with a DT threat QB and Mullen running his offense. We'll get a better idea of what style of RB will be most successful in this system.

• Like Like x 1
  4. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    We have had our share, perhaps more than our share, of disappointing RBs either through injury or just guys who couldn't step up to college ball. We've had some great ones but also a lot of mediocrities. Let's hope Lingard becomes one of the great ones.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm hoping two or three of our current RBs become great ones. There's some serious talent there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember when this kid came out of a high school in Pensacola who was too small and too slow to play college football. The recruiting gurus all said he was the most over-rated player to come out of high school. But Florida signed him for some strange reason. Apparently Florida was desperate, so they let him play as a freshman. And they continued to play him as a sophomore and a junior. I don't think he amounted to much as a football player, did he? Emmitt something or other. If he had been three inches taller, 20 pounds heavier, and 0.3 seconds faster in the 40, he could have had an NFL career. I wonder what happened to him?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember when a Florida running back had an ACL injury in the 1980's. He was an emotional wreck after that. Could barely get back on the football field. His confidence was shot. It was tragic. Whenever they gave him the ball, you just wanted to look away, but you couldn't. Before the ACL, you started thinking he might make it as a backup with a pro team some day. His name was Emmitt something or other. Anybody know what happened to him?

8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    One in a million, in more ways than one.

9. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    Vision

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Emmitt had an ACL? Loaded backfield w Pierce, Davis and Bowman tough to get carries

11. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yup. Emmitt had almost superhuman vision. He could see where all the defenders who were a threat to tackle him were, and what angles they were taking. He could set them up to think that he would go in one direction, and change to another direction while recalculating where all of the other defenders would be. If he was going to get hit, he could sidestep enough of the tackle to fall forward or avoid injury. It was like the game was going in slow-motion for him as far as processing all the information and reacting to it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    ES was one of the most heavily recruited backs ever and could've gone anywhere he wanted despite what that one recruiting moron said. Recruiting "experts" were even dumber back then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Emmitts vision was so good he saw best to be a Gator.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And balance

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Escambia played a team from Cali for a national championship put on by USA Today I think it was. Cali team has supposedly the best rb in nation and Escambia was big underdogs. Emmit and Escambia embarrassed them.

16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Often wonder how good UF would have been if he stayed for his senior year.
    SOS would have used him well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    Would have been interesting, however, I thought Errict Rhett was awful good under SOS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    There have lots of really great RBs who either ran behind a bad OL or played in a bad system and never made it. But I agree that for a lot of guys, it's their own heads that keep them from making it.

19. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    If he can't make top 3 in RB rotation, switch him to Safety.

20. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Yup, he disappeared his SR year, as I recall, never amounted to anything for us again.

• Agree Agree x 1