Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lingard working hard....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator_n_sc, May 7, 2021.

1. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Senior

Apr 12, 2007
    We won’t play like a playoff team until we recruit like a playoff team. And we won’t recruit like a playoff team until we make the playoffs.

Only five teams have made the playoffs(more than once). Gonna be hard to break into that group. Once they expand the PO we’ll be right there. We’ve had the Best teams we’ve had in a long time.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  2. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    Only five teams have made the playoffs. Gonna be hard to break into that group. Once they expand the PO we’ll be right there. We’ve had the Best teams we’ve had in a long time.[/QUOTE]

You might want to add up the teams that have made the playoffs again. Hell there’s been three from the SEC alone.

3. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was referring to 4 recruiting cycles, not games. And Mullen hasn’t “failed”. Lots of fan bases would love to have a top 10 (or so) recruiting class every year. He’s just not recruited at Florida at the level we hoped he would, especially on the O line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

How is he supposed to recruit like a championship team when we were irrelevant the 9 consecutive years before he became our HBC? We’ve done more the last 3 years than we have in the last decade - and we’re recruiting better as we improve as a team. It’s a process, just like breaking into that top 5 people are talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    It can be a process, but it doesn't have to be imo. Recruiting is figuring out the kid and giving him what he wants. Really great recruiters get kids to want what they are giving. For example, Norvell has 2 5*s committed and 2 4* QBs? Who knows if they are ranked correctly, or if he even keeps them to signing day. But it doesn't have to be a process. Fans like to use the clemson example, but Dabo was pulling in 5*s pretty early, think he had 4 in his first 3 or 4 years.

6. gator10

gator10 All American

Nov 23, 2015
    I wonder if we end up outside the top 10 this year will more on this board admit there is an issue? I sure hope we don’t but given where we are positioned it is very much a possibility.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Of the 2, I rather have a top OL also, but I'm greedy and want both.

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Guess I don’t have a purposeful answer for someone who wants it all now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. KSAGator

KSAGator GC Legend

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    Part of what these posters are saying is that the rankings don’t matter—so I assume that a poor class ranking will not do too much to move the needle. (By the way - I think there is a fair chance we are well outside the top-15.). I agree with them as far as it goes—it is performance on the field that counts—but have different expectations about what our on field performance will be.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fair point. But here is my concern: Spurrier hit a home run with his second recruiting class. So did Urban. Both those classes contained key players who later helped the Gators win national championships. Saban hit a home run with his second recruiting class, and kept it going. Kirby Smart signed a monster second recruiting class, and kept it going. I’m not sure about Dabo’s second class, but his subsequent classes kept getting better and better, especially compared to the rest of the ACC.

We unfortunately didn’t see that big jump in Mullen’s second class, and his 3rd and 4th classes were also solid but not spectacular. Mullen’s recruiting, so far, has consistently finished behind our major SEC competition. As I said before, he has compensated somewhat by being the king of the transfer portal. But we still don’t know if that will be enough to compensate for good (but not great) high school recruiting. The jury is still out in that.

I bleed Orange and Blue, and want the Gators to win national championships as much as any Gator fan. I have been fortunate enough to attend all 4 of Florida’s football national championship games, including the Fiasco Bowl. I would love to attend at least one more. But I have my doubts about that possibility, unless Mullen starts to recruit at a higher level. I would love for CDM to prove me wrong.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Can’t argue with what you’re saying. I guess the only perspective I can put on it is that neither Bama nor Clemson nor Georgia were top teams when SOS landed and had to recruit against them. Same goes for Urbs. Bama was sucking wind back in 2005 and 2006. Clemson still hadn’t established themselves (other than their Pell championship back in the 80s). We freaking owned Georgia during those years. So maybe the recruiting game in the southeastern states wasn’t as challenging for SOS and Urban as it is today.

I can only hope that the team will steadily get better and recruiting will follow suit. Our team has a lot of stiff competition for say, offensive linemen. We need to keep winning, establish more consistency, and stop losing ugly games. I also think the Covid season really screwed us, and Bama and Clemson were deeper in talent and experience and in better shape to handle the adversity, like for instance no practices. We were amazingly good at throwing the ball thanks to two generational players named Kyle, but not particularly good at anything else. I look forward to more normalcy this season.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Would you consider recruiting a priority for Mullen? I wouldn't. I am sure he realizes it's importance, but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe he's all in on it. Maybe it was easier for urban, but he definitely prioritized it. I think SOS gets a bad rap as a recruiter, but he was a closer and always brought in talented classes.
    With Mullen, we seem to think recruiting will pick up with new facilities, or more wins. But it's gotta be his priority.
    Bama and Clemson were deeper in talent because they recruited better. But I'm not so sure about experience. We were experienced as they come last season.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I cannot speak for Dan Mullen and how he prioritizes his responsibilities - and I’m thinking you don’t know any more about that than I do

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    This is where I gotta shake my head. I'm not speaking for Mullen, but I can look at his history and understand where his priorities lie. There's a reason why hevesy, Gonzales, knox and some others have almost always been with him. He values many of their skillsets, which are many. But no one associates them with recruiting. No one has ever said Mullen makes recruiting a priority. We hear things like Mullen does his own evals. That's his priority.
    And that's not to say his way is wrong. But until he reaches the top his way - there will always be questions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You think that Bama kid likes that challenger he posted last week?

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm sure. Wonder what he was driving in Knoxville?

And if bama is just doing cheap leases on cars, haven't other schools figured out how to do the same? Let's be honest, scooters are dangerous!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We’ve got to catch up with the times or accept the results.

18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    That's just straight up embarrassing. Smh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Without insider info, it's impossible to discuss his priorities. I do recall when he was hired that there was concern over how his personality would affect recruiting. It could be that recruiting is his priority, but he just rubs top recruits the wrong way and they sign elsewhere.

I also remember Tebow's book talking about Mullen telling a Tebow brother that it didn't matter who we signed at QB that we would win (that kind of reeks that we could win with a pet dog at QB).

• Creative Creative x 1
  20. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I disagree, I think we can discuss things after looking at his actions.