Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lindy's and Athlon college football magazines.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by florida72, Jun 6, 2020.

1. florida72

florida72 Junior

Dec 31, 2019
    Have y'all seen these magazines on shelves yet?

2. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    I was thinking about these magazines the other day and that it should be about time for them to come out.

I was also wondering if they matter at all this year. With all of the COVID stuff causing quarantine, no spring practice or games, no organized workouts and no real recruiting, everything is one big crap shoot at this point.

3. gatorcloud

gatorcloud GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Trask cover boy on preseason magazines

This article and a thread are posted in the Den by @ Idgator. I picked up Althlon's National and SEC mags and also Sporting News mag from Publix on Wednesday.

Athlon - Gators #6
    Sporting News - Gators #7
    Both mags have Gators ranked above the Dawgs & winning the East.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Meh. Even without covid they're mostly trash anyway. Haven't bought one of these mags in probably over 15 years. Damn waste of money imo.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorcloud

Apr 3, 2007
    If you haven't bought one in 15 years how do you know they are a waste of money?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    He probably does like I do and just reads them at the bookstore instead of buying them.
    The only one I've bought in the last few years is Steele's magazine, which is usually far more in depth than anything else out there.
    There's just so much more information you can get for free on the web these days rather than spending $8-$10 bucks per mag. Frankly, I'm surprised so many are still being published.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. gatorcloud

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the life hack. I think a percentage of their selling power has to do with nostalgia and collecting similar to a comic book. Not sure you can find their depth charts online nor ranking 130 teams from their perspective.

My father is 80 and I'm 44. Annually we look forward to the mags to bring us closer to the Fall.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Yep.... excellent point. I just found some from the mid-90s in storage. Athlons, Lindy, etc. Interesting to look through.

My Dad and I used to comb through these together each year, and the arrival of the first copies on the shelf signified that the long drought was coming to a close and we'd soon have football to watch again! Now that he's been gone for 3.5 years...I just don't find the same excitement there.

To each their own, though....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gatorcloud

Apr 3, 2007
    Yea, I agree with you. Also I don't take my cell in the restroom with me so the mags are good toilet reading.

• Like Like x 1
  10. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Agreed. It’s normally a bookmark for my year , much like the masters and school starting back. Let’s me know where we are in the calendar.
    #covidsucks

• Like Like x 3
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Me too, almost a senior citizen and I get that special feeling every year around Mid May. This year they did come out a little later but both are actually pretty good. Like the poster above and JWitt they mark the year for me and are a tradition for me, sons, and I can even remember buddy and I combing drugstores in 80’s trying to get Mags first day out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Well said and very similar to my feelings. I agree on the collecting part. Also helps me dissect other team’s schedule, roster, etc. Yeah, I can look a lot up on the computer but so much easier having the magazine to flip to a page third or fourth time to make sure of something or look up a detail. That visual component is so important for me and just very different than a computer. Not that the computer doesn’t give you the visual it’s just much easier with a magazine in your hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Been reading he preseason football mags since 1965.It's just a way to begin the season and to form an opinion by comparing ratings. It's just fun.

14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Because they were then, and they are now, from examination on the shelf.

They're just the same thing every year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

My big problem with those mags is that the player and roster information is so dated. It’s even a bigger issue now with the transfer portal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Relax Gray, they are an appetizer for our College Football appetite. It's almost mandatory to buy a couple each year, a rite of summer passage. Accurate - Hardly, but the cheerleader pics are always amazing!

17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    They usually annoy me but the glossy pics are nice. They never really give you what you want, but they give you something. If they don't tell me Gators will win all games by 20+ points and win a natty they're a letdown.

During the Spurrier era I bought them regularly. Back then we were the new guys in the big race to the top so it was very exciting. Our relevance was awesome. But this year, no practices, no spring games to refer to...just empty stadiums and a hope things will resume in the fall with some normalcy. One can hope.

I did watch Trasks highlights from last year on YouTube. He really looked even better than I remembered. I highly recommend watching.

Here's to a great season and a reduction and elimination of the Covid nightmare.

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe... they underestimate our 2020 team as a whole too... I love it.

I know this to be national....

19. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Price is now $10.99 for Lindys and Athlon. Seems to have shot up from $7.99 a few years ago. And I agree that the price is now higher than the value I get. I used to by 2-3 of these every summer. Now I just read stuff for free.

20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    The cheerleader pics spike, don't forget the cheerleaders! LOL

• Funny Funny x 1