Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lets try this. Name 2 things that the other side does that you wish your side would adopt.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jul 5, 2022.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Lets try to have a thread with a little bit of unity.

All of us should be able to find two things that they like from the other aide and wish their side would focus more on.

I'll start with two.

1. Universal health care reform.
    2. More safety nets for children who need welfare programs for basic needs.

Anyone else willing to give it a go?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  2. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Since I live in Florida I’d like to see the sugar farmers sent packing but know it’s not going to happen. Restore the “river of grass” to its original state. I’d pay more in taxes for it to happen.

The pubs suck at healthcare. I’ve changed my stance in the last few years and would like some form of universal health care.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Ok, here ya go.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ha, WTH??

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I will give it a go:
    1. More inclusive of minorities in the party;
    2. Support for immigration reform.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought the same thing

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Tilly wrote "yo find two thongs." I was merely complying.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    1. Control media narratives
    2. Post on TooHot

:p

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    You need to reread the OP, what 2 things does the other side do that you LIKE.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. tilly

Finally the clumsy thumbs paid off!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. anstro76

anstro76 Fluent In Nonsense Moderator

Feb 14, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Learn to label policies better. Stop using acerbic Titles. Like, defund the police. Try...Policy to allocate funds for de-escalation training. Or something like that. We seem to use scary chantible terms to rally behind, which never works in our favor. I've discussed this with many of my fellow lefties, and so far, we all agree.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tilly

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. tjenkins78

tjenkins78 Junior

Jul 2, 2022
    welp...my bad

14. tilly

Lol. Ok. I thought it was simple. So if you ...
    Lean blue, name two RED policies that you like.
    Lean Red, name two BLUE policies that you like.

Is that clearer or are we all still distracted by thongs?:D

• Like Like x 2
  15. anstro76

anstro76 Fluent In Nonsense Moderator

Feb 14, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I posted a example of something the right does well, not necessarily a policy, but a start.

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have a very difficult time with this query in terms of concrete policy proposals. I can't currently think of anything being proposed by the other side with which I agree.

Traditionally, especially during the '80s, my views on being pro US Military, generally a global force of good, to steal the Navy slogan (although not in the Americas) put me more in line with ideas from the Right.

Also civic education and patriotism. I hate especially what's being done now by DeSantis because I think he's perverting something beautiful. I think the United States of e pluribus unum, forming a more perfect union, the founder of the UN and the Declaration of Human Rights, is a beautiful thing. I worked hard to inculcate that into my daughter. But now it feels like nothing but a perversion, trying to promote the United States as greatness derived from whiteness and homogeneity instead of being the most powerful nation in the world because it was a beacon for the freedom-loving greatest minds from all over the world, a polyglot joined by an ideal, to channel Lee Kwan Yew. But I love the idea of civics education based upon the United States as the city on the hill, promoting democracy and human rights.

Finally, healthy respect for syncretic religious belief as a great source of guiding moral wisdom. Again though, that's something that in its current manifestation I view as a profanation, the Godhead as oppressor rather than liberator.

Probably unsatisfactory, but best I can right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Women should have access to abortion in all states somewhere in the neighborhood of 23 weeks. And have rape escape clause.
    I’d be agreeable to big increase in funding for mental health screening and rehab.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I like the thread.

1. Liberals are def overboard on social litmus tests/cancel culture. A lot of whining butthurt that destroys their actual righteous fights. Not every slight is an abomination, it is how free society operates.

2. Liberals take beat-downs for granted. When Trump said “What have you got to lose?” to Black voters, he hit a nerve. I’m lily white, but I’m a product of the coal fields. Hell on Earth. R’s have pillaged us, but what have D’s ever done? At least R’s tell you straight up. Why vote for proven nothing?

• Like Like x 3
  19. tjenkins78

tjenkins78 Junior

Jul 2, 2022
    1. Domestic oil production - someone needs to build more refineries though
    2. Always spending money on DEFENSE. Very important. I do not support isolationism however.

• Like Like x 3
  20. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I am honestly not sure there if there is any particular legislation I would adopt from the current GOP, but I think this is a good thread idea and will give a few thoughts towards unity.

I am wary of things like Universal Basic Income and the huge amounts of money we have been spending. I do think many people will choose not to work if they don’t have to - probably me included lol. If robots can do our work in the future, I’m all for it. I’m just not sure how our deficit and debt levels are ultimately sustainable.

While I am agnostic and critical of many religious arguments, I think spirituality is an important discussion and that Democrats need to do a better job talking about family and faith and focusing a little less on identity politics (although those issues are very important to me, too). I think we are facing a bit of a spiritual crisis in America and not sure Democrats are addressing it or know how to talk about it, particularly given how religiously diverse the party is.

I think I’m fairly moderate on issues like guns, abortion, and immigration and would like to see some compromises on those issues.

• Like Like x 2