Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lets talk........ F Franks

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Jul 8, 2019.

1. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I watched and re-watched the Perine interview at Hoover this week, especially the part with comments on Franks. I was trying to spot subtle cues about whether his words were team-speak or genuine.

They seemed deeply genuine. He thinks Franks has made a huge jump.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    MiniTrue approves.

3. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Agree. While I don't see incandescent numbers (hope I'm wrong and he lights it up), I also think he's NOT going to be a "game manager". I'm hoping he's going to make 2 or 3 or 4 plays a game that will be decisive.

4. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    I was down on Franks most of his career. The light has obviously come on and he isn't anywhere near the same QB he was at the beginning of last season. I think Franks has a dominating year and depending on how he does against Georgia he will be a contender for the Heisman.

5. gator_lyn

gator_lyn Sophomore

Oct 28, 2017
    FF was balling and came through the last two big games. Keep playing with that chip

6. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Don't think he went to the fastball once in the Spring Game, which for him and his receivers is a great thing. He continues doing that he should raise his completion percentage 8-10%

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I was going to start my own FF thread, but I’ll just piggy back on this one.

I am actually REALLY looking forward to watching him play this year. I have been very critical of him pretty much ever since he became the starting QB. It wasn’t so much his play in the first year, I realized he was in a horrible situation.

It was his childish behavior on social media, that then seeped into his play when he started to have some success last year. The silly little celebrations after an 8 yard run. The theatrics every time he made a good play. And, of course.... the shushing of his own fans.

I have to admit, this offseason he’s said all of the right things. He’s even taken accountability for being immature. I sometimes forget how pressure cooked it is being the QB is in the fishbowl of a major football program. And it’s probably expecting a bit much to think 19/20 year old who’s experienced nothing but success all his life to react maturely to his first taste of adversity.

His play had already turned the corner late last year. I’m hopeful that his attitude has as well. I have a feeling we’re in for a very special season from this offense. And especially Filipe Franks.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
  9. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unpopular opinion:

I went ahead and watched the condensed versions of our games from last year.

Our receivers were really good last year. Watching them run routes and get open was fantastic. Easily the best group of guys out there since Urban. Even our running backs, i.e. Perine, were very good at finding spots and getting open.

A lot of criticism was thrown at Franks for missing the wide open guy last year. I was one of those people. They show the replay and there is a guy without anyone covering him 20 yards down field. That is sort of fair and unfair at the same time. For starters, he's generally always throwing at an open receiver so the other guy who is open is sort of immaterial. It also sort of means that even though he's found an open receiver, for whatever reason, the passes just aren't connecting where and when they should. Even on completions, he always seems to be a step late. This is not threading the needle through a defender's hands or putting it on the correct side of the receiver sort of stuff, this is throwing the ball at our guy's thighs or throwing it over his head when he's open. Whatever his numbers were from last year, if you graded his accuracy, I think it's about a 4 or 5 out of 10. To be a good college QB, I think it needs to be about a 7/10 or higher.

There is the difficulty in learning the system, which I totally understand, but he's 4 year out of high school at this point (redshirt junior). He should have already adjusted to the speed of the game last year. Can you realistically expect anyone to improve their accuracy THAT much in the span of a year?

A new OL also likely means that he will have to make decisions much quicker to avoid the defense from disrupting his rhythm and/or sacking him. He does not do particularly well at making something happen from broken plays. He was running more towards the end of last year, so that's good, but it's also likely that other teams will have picked up on that. It wouldn't surprise me if they put a spy on him (ala Tebow) and forced him to beat them with his arm.

I need to see him play with more accuracy before I project his yards, touchdowns or round in the NFL draft. I hope he's gotten better, but my gut tells me while he's gotten better, he just hasn't turned the corner yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hey power - I hear you, but the young man is a Jr, he has the job and I think we saw real growth last year.

FYI FF numbers as a Soph were better than Danny W's.

At this stage in his career he is not only competing for UF but competing for a shot at the NFL.

I'm in the camp expecting very good things, it's time, he has proper coaching now...…..time to get it done!

11. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think if we had last year's OL that might happen.

12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    From this post it seems that you don't think he will ever turn the corner.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Adjusting to the speed of the game has nothing to do with being out of high school 3 ( you called it 4) years if you had little coaching in high school and poor coaching in college. The guy improved in his first year with a competent coach and despite putting up more yards and points threw fewer picks.

I'm not saying he is perfect but yeah...your opinion should be pretty unpopular

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Expecting every Gators QB to be Tebow or Spurrier is stupid and immature.

24/6 after what McTaintbreath did to him makes Franks a champion in my book. Destroying noles and wolverines got us right where we need to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Power, thanks for the detailed analysis. I’ll admit that I don’t know enough about the x and o to look into these things myself. You can guarantee the nfl scouts are seeing this. I really feel like FF is trying to get to the nfl after this year. He sure doesn’t lack for confidence. Even if his ability doesn’t currently justify it. I still stand by what I said about his attitude though. I’m really hoping he’s going to make it easier to get excited about him by showing more maturity.

16. gatorpower

Apr 3, 2007
    No, he has two years. It's possible. Doug Johnson started showing good accuracy in his last year that he didn't have the year before.

17. gatorpower

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not a huge fan of McElwain, but he was a competent QB coach. Both Greg McElroy and Garrett Grayson were both pretty accurate QBs.

Passing an accuracy is understanding how fast the players are going and leading them a bit with your pass. You can be very accurate and have zero understanding of defenses. Mullen is not some kind of horse-whisperer for an appendage. He's not going to drape off a guy's arm and Ratatouille a QB. Accuracy comes with repetition and practice at throwing passes.

And the offense that both Urban and Mullen runs don't stretch the field 50 yards on every play. Most of the receivers tend to hang around between 5 and 20 yards from scrimmage and these are 10-yard passes he's missing on. What special advice can any coach give a guy for that?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Where the real gains will be made for FF is pre-snap. Between the spring game and everything Mullen has said, FF understands the concepts now rather than simply knowing a play that is called.

Even if the OL requires him to get rid of it quicker or he continues to have average accuracy, he'll have more opportunities to execute option 1 or 1a because the offense is designed to expose those options pre-snap and he is in a position to recognize them (unlike much of last season).

The only thing that will prevent FF from having a significant improvement will be if he decides to show off the gun and try to take what he wants rather than what the defense gives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    McElroy sat behind BAMAs offensive line and was slightly more than a game manager. Grayson played in the mountain West. We ran a predictable offense in the toughest defensive conference in the country and struggled to throw for 200 yards. Say what you want about Mullen but he has a pretty significant track record with less than highly recruited qbs

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatorpower

Apr 3, 2007
    That's fair, but I am not talking about making decisions under pressure. I am talking about accuracy. Franks can be getting zero pressure and his accuracy has always been sort of off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1