Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Let's hear your Top 5 Netflix/Streaming Series

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's been mentioned but not nearly enough. I thought it was a great series. The guy who played Pablo was very good. I recommend that everyone watch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. alphaomegator

alphaomegator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    1 Hell on Wheels
    2 DOWNTON Abbey
    3 The Killing
    4 Bosch
    5 Intelligence

I certainly like others. I could easily compile a top 10-15 from Netflix and Amazon Prime Streaming Series.
    I also like:Bloodline, Ozark,Wallender,Broadchurch, and Hinterlands to name a few.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. delandgator

delandgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Harlots on Hulu is really good

4. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Funny that the Arrested Development storyline about the wall with Mexico is already 5 years but seems more timely than ever in 2018. I thought season 4 was a disaster, but the recut version put up earlier this year is much better, chronological-based rather than character-based episodes.

Really liked Jessica Jessica Season 2 with one big exception, her hot friend on the radio. Bizzare.

Two episodes into Luke Cage and it seems slow and derivative with the same baddies from the night club.

5. Agreed on A.D. Season 4....I went back and watched the remix version before I watched Season 5 and it seemed to flow way better.....I hear Luke Cage really picks up the 2nd half of the season with a couple new villains so stay on it!

Thanks for the 411 on the shows...

6. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Cheers. I will.

Just found this thread a few days ago. Will be back regularly. Always looking for good shows. So many choices.

I usually rely on IMDB ratings, which I've found are pretty good indicators of mainstream quality.

So here are some of my favorites:

Bosch (Amazon) - LA cop show based on Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels. Connelly is a UF grad, btw. Bosch is the fictional detective you would choose to investigate your own fictional murder.

Rake (Netflix)- Aussie dramedy about a lovable lawyer who can't stay out of trouble with drugs, women, legal ethics, and the mob, starring the wryly charismatic Richard Roxburgh. This is not the lousy American version with hapless Greg Kinnear.

Babylon Berlin (Netflix) - We like the occasional foreign show. Babylon Berlin is the most expensive non-English series ever made, set in pre-you-know-who Berlin in 1929. Corrupt cops, Russian commies, early nazis, freewheeling morality, sex, political intrigue, risque night clubs, etc. It is dubbed, but the English dubbing is awful. We watched it in German with subtitles. Not for everyone, but if you like pre-WW2 Europe stuff, this is for you.

Mindhunter (Netflix) - Early days of FBI behavioral science program, set in 1970s. Some terrific performances.

Black Mirror (Netflix) - Tech meets Twilight Zone. Watch S1E1 for a new definition of political pork (that's a triple entendre!). Each episode stands alone, so the IMDB scores for each episode can let you cherry pick. Among other episodes, Hang the DJ and San Junipero stood out for me, but a very strong series.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I liked that show. I was sad to see when it was cancelled. I will check it out.

8. I have heard very good things about Bosch and Black Mirror...I just started watching Safe with Michael C Hall....so far very good and I’m only on 3rd episode

9. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I thought it was good. If you like that, try The Five. It's by the same guy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    We just finished season 4 of Bosch on Amazon Prime. That was one of the best TV shows I have ever seen, with great acting, story lines and scripts. I highly recommend this show to anyone who likes crime dramas.

Season 5 should hit Aprilish of 2019.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the tip, started watching it last night and watched the first 3 shows already. Pretty good so far.

12. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    We found it was best to binge a whole season so as not to forget what was going on in the story arc. We did two shows a night and took breaks between each season. Glad you like it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

I am absolutely in love with Charlotte on that show. She is so gorgeous.

[​IMG]

My top 5

1. Babylon Berlin
    2. Handmaids Tales
    3. Outlander
    4. Harlots
    5. Poldark

14. delandgator

delandgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    me too but she looked even better on Downton Abbey

15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t think it had been mentioned on the thread, but I just finished GODLESS, and it was very good.
    Jeff Daniels was excellent.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Watched Episode 1 of Money Heist. Very interesting story. Seems like it is dubbed because of language, but if you can get past that I think you will like it.

17. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Started with Luther & now we can't enough of the British detective shows. The acting & story lines are so superior to most American shows of the same genre.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I like the British/Aussie crime shows (closed captioning is your friend :)).

Enjoyed Line of Duty, DCI Banks, Jack Ireland, The Fall among others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Don't have netflix and don't watch that much tv, but...

1. Bosch
    b. Billions
    3. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    4. OITNB

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I am enjoying the Starz series Black Sails is available on Hulu.

• Like Like x 1