Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Least Racist Countries 2021

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, May 3, 2021.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    There's no inherent biological aspect to racism. People are racist because it is behavior encouraged by ideas, culture and institutions created by people, which reproduce themselves.

2. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Now you're getting the picture. What can be said about the demographic is that is where a significant population of racists live. So if you want to live among racists go to that particular country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I agree with you and thus my concern that we have millions of citizens, that due to their upbringing, may be defined as "racist".

4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Lots of studies show human and other mammals gravitate to members of their kind they are most like.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    This is just silly. Countries have mechanisms of control which tend to keep people in place for various reasons, generally the same reasons that racism persists - economic and social control, etc. Racism in America helped maintain a large & compliant agricultural workforce vital to the economy! It wasnt just people not being nice to each other.

Let's not even mention all these supposedly "tolerant" countries erecting barriers to entry (both physical and legal).

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Most of them wouldn't define themselves as such, because at least officially all our institutions say racism is bad. This is basically why the results of this survey are meaningless. In the abstract many people would be fine with someone "different" moving near to them, in the concrete, a new low income housing development being built a mile from your house and you start thinking about your property values ... well we'll see how tolerant people are, even nominally liberal people. They would probably even rationalize it by saying they are personally ok with it, its just all the other racist people that would drive the property values down, not them per se. Its the other people, not them being racist.

7. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Also, lets not forget "foreign policy" and our attitude towards opponents:

Vietnamese - Gooks, mama sans etc (same for any oriental opponent)
    Middle Easterners - Hadji's seem to be the latest slang insult given that sand n____ is no longer popular.

Guess since Germans were white they got a pass - "Jerry"

8. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    A nation protecting it's borders does not imply racism. Borders are a political and cultural construct. If you know of a single nation that does not control its' borders and has no controls in place for immigration please enlighten me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    It can imply many things, including racism.

10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is funny that people are trying to carve out their POVs based on a pretty straight forward poll.
    The US is in a unique position on polls like these for a number of reasons. First is that we were forced to confront out past on race, unlike many places. So the conversation here is more honest on one level, but less honest on another, because people know it is bad to say so here. And because of our history, we have a unique problem to overcome compared to many places. Add to that that we are far less homogenous than many of the counties we would naturally be compared to so problems are more likely to surface by people are also more likely to have dealt with different ethnic groups, and it’s hard to take too much from these.
    But my honest belief is that while racism is certainly still an issue here as it is everywhere to varying degrees, the solid majority of all Americans try to be fair in their daily lives. The question is whether/how we are honest about what problems remain, how expansive that problem truly is, and what the government’s role is in both creating problems and fixing them.
    Jmo.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I agree wholeheartedly. But the reasons are not all nefarious.

Look at immigrants: China Town, Italian Sections, Black Sections, Asian Sections - No DOUBT people of similar heritage congregate, I wonder how much of that is motivated by FEAR or the need for PROTECTION?

12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Interestingly, this was the country that didn't really have controls for immigration prior to racism winning out in the form of the Chinese Exclusion Act and, eventually, the National Origins Act. Both of those were entirely tied to racism in this country.

The history of anti-immigration movements in this country, from the Know-Nothings to the modern concerns based in replacement theory being extolled by the Tucker Carlsons of the world, are always pretty directly linked to racism.

13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I think the U.S. is more inclusive racially than we give it credit for. That said, we have significant work to do.
    We cant look at some poll and say..."see, we're all set".

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I did not post this thread to say, see we’re all set. I don’t believe anyone had made that implication either.
    The thread is a bit of evidence to show the left that maybe we’re not such a bad country as they like to point out.
    I don’t think we’ll ever be perfect as humans do enjoy congregating with similar kind.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Not at all as we have determined that racism is an individual characteristic. As of today I do not know of a single nation that is racist and has immigration policies based on racism. The report indicated where racists live not nations that promote racism or only allow racists into their nation. If you have any knowledge of such a nation that is racist and promotes racism within their borders please enlighten me.

16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    So a country that policed its border with the main intent of keeping another kind of people out, that would not imply racism in any case? Sure, buddy. Why is our southern border militarized, with a wall and detention camps and the northern border not? Nothing to do with who lies beyond those borders or who's crossing them?

17. tilly

Agree 100%. Wasn't aiming the comment at you at all as much as making a general statement. :emoji_punch:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. tilly

In fairness, if the same number of Canadians were crossing our borders to live illegally we may see the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I would agree, but I do think there is evidence for a biological basis of tribalism. If so and if we elevate our races as core features of our identities, I think our innate tribal module can begin to further feelings of racism.

20. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    I assumed as such, but I was curious if there is some sort of biological behavior within tribalism, that plays a part in it..