Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Leary to Bama

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by shane4three, Jun 16, 2020.

1. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Agree. Champ had a gazillion top dbs and nothing else. Well, not exactly. He did get some highly rated DLs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. graylon

graylon Premium Member

Sep 27, 2018
    I think you make some great points but I still believe it's how you sell it. LSU 4 years got all the top receivers with Les miles. Les Miles miles had absolutely no intentions on throwing the ball or putting them in a modern offense. Alabama was the same way for a while. I do believe that Florida just need some more aggressive Recruiters on the offensive side. I've said this before I love our defensive recruits I think we're right there because we're adding depth on defense we are getting some very aggressive players in the secondary now. But the offense between offensive line receiver and running back we just have to get some dogs in recruiting... I also believe that we haven't had that showcase Elite quarterback also. I noticed that schools to get that quarterback that's a great passer get the better receivers

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I realize its fun to bag on muschamp, but in his 4 recruiting classes he had 9 OFFENSIVE guys rated .96 or better by 247. With 5 spots left in his 4th class mullen has 9 total guys ranked .96 or better. Now thats 247, isn't complete, and doesn't take into account the portal. But muschamp is a great recruiter, just a poor CEO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Muschamp could not develop an offense or run one during gametime if his life depended on it at UF, regardless of offensive recruiting. Jeff Driskel, who is still on an NFL roster, is a perfect example. Muschamp threw him to the wolves too early without developing him first, left him in games too long when he was struggling, and didn't coach to his strengths. Jeff immediately excelled at La Tech when he left here, too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    He might have recruited 9 offensive players but they were destined to play on defense.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Endless Excuses

Jan 13, 2010
    How is Muschamp developing Driskel worse than throwing him to the wolves too early. Personally Id take the wolves over Muschamps development any day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Not disagreeing with your comments and not defending muschamp since we were a travesty at the position regardless of who played but Driskel and brisset getting thrown to the wolves was more a product of Cam Newton's actions wrecking our QB depth and Brantleys inability to stay healthy. Makes me cringe even thinking about what could have been vs actually what was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It doesn't matter what the guys are ranked if there is no roster management of positions and poor evaluation, both of which are critical aspects of being a great recruiter. The guy chose Skylar Morningwig over Paxton Lynch.... that's not a great recruiter.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    By being thrown to the wolves I did not mean that Muschamp did not have a choice, I meant that he did not prepare Driskel. Jeff was not armed with what he needed when his number was called. That's on Muschamp and his OC.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    They proved that even with time it wouldn't have mattered but I thought Driskel and brisset were true freshmen when they were thrown into action against Bama after Brantley got hurt. I remember thinking Driskels high school offense consisted of immediate roll outs or long runs/passes on busted plays. One reason I became discouraged with recruiting services because while both of those guys obviously were worthy of stars on potential and athletic ability, Driskel was as raw a qb I had seen.

It's amazing both made the NFL yet were utterly wasted here.

11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I thought Driskel had received abysmal HS coaching. Until I saw Feleipe Franks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Driskel played in a new football program in high school under a coach that really didn't teach him anything. Neither did Muschamp. He had to leave here to learn how to be a QB. Thank God for Dan Mullen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    I almost made a reference to that same thing regarding Franks but omitted it because as just stated before this post that Driskel played in a New program that had no structure to speak of. You are corredt though. 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other. Its why I'm done with project qbs

14. graylon

graylon Premium Member

Sep 27, 2018

How in the world did we go to some of the most beautiful quarterback play ever to the most baffling... we had a great system set up from the Spurrier, Zook, and Meyer years and from then on it was monstrosity... It did kind of start when Meyer let Adazio call plays but it when from bad to rotten

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Endless Excuses

Jan 13, 2010
    Muschamp could have "prepared" Driskel for 3 decades and he would be worse off than just throwing him in year one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Endless Excuses

Jan 13, 2010
    Franks will have to light it up at his next school and have a decent NFL career to compare. He might too. That being said he had problems with "getting it" with world class coaching under Mullen. I think Mac just crushed his mind (like he did to most of us) and it may take a while to straighten out. He has all the tools but upstairs just doesn't sync....he kind of reminds me of a certain ex TB quarterback (without the lying, cheating, rape and general entitled douchness).

• Like Like x 1
  17. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Agree. But he could recruit. At UF.

18. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    It depends on what the discussion is about. Recruiting isn't about roster management imo, its about getting talent to sign. You bring up QB, the guy brought it 3 nfl QBs, driskel, brissett, and grier.

19. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Recruiting is absolutely about roster management... if you're not recruiting based on needs, why even bother?
    And Driskel committed to Meyer, and none of three actually stayed here... which is a massive fail in of itself and really exacerbated the Paxton error. It's all recruiting.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Disagree. Recruiting is just bringing in talent. Being a great head coach is in part knowing which talent to recruit.

• Like Like x 1