Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Leary to Bama

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by shane4three, Jun 16, 2020.

1. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not so sure about this one. Kirby was a great recruiter while at Alabama.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    No doubt but it's different as the head man and he's maintained it to your point.

3. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Good point

4. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    $$$ has to happen in order to win some of these recruiting battles

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida is the most culturally diverse state in the entire nation by a long shot. After us, you have California, then Texas, then New York.

Florida is culturally Southern, culturally Latino, the 3rd highest Jewish population in the country, the largest intake of retirees and transplants from other states, flying into the south for winter, and an even split of Republicans and Democrats. There is even north Florida rural and south Florida rural. You have urban Jacksonville, urban Tampa and urban Miami. The differences are dramatic even in sub-populations.

It is an extremely heterogeneous population and its one of the fastest growing in the nation. How Florida was in 1960s is not how Florida was in 2000 and is not how Florida will be in 2040. The influx of new people and ideas can create dynamic shifts and we have seen that happening. Our landscape is suspect to both a literal and figurative coastal erosion. There are not enough generations around, clinging onto the same spec of soil, to create the homogeneous loyalty enjoyed by colleges around the US.

Hell, the IMG Academy is a metaphor for the state of Florida. They're a transplant colony, washing in with the tides each year. They are not Floridians. They come to play in Florida.

Oh. And also, three separate FBS schools who have all won a national championship in the past 20 years. The state of Alabama has two. The next state was Georgia, ~40 years ago. The next state who can come close to claiming that can't put two national title contenders in the same conversation without going back to 1939. All three schools can pitch "make us great again" and its audience were alive to know what that actually means.

Nobody in Pittsburgh is going to be emotionally moved by the Panthers' coach using that line. At Miami? Oh F&^% yeah.

One school cannot hope to cover the real estate necessary to "lock down" the state anymore. The state is long and big; the high schools are nearly uncountable. Even if they were, it's like herding cats.

It sucks to see Alabama come in here and take players we're geographically closer to, but we can only claim to be geographically close. Gainesville is many more miles away in the minds of these kids.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    Florida doesn’t have the behind the scene machine like Bama an the others have. The machine takes care of the family (jobs, houses, etc.) in a way that gets overlooked by the NCAA. Look at Duke and Zion’s family. Another example.

if Florida has one, it isn’t on their scale or maybe it just isn’t appealing enough.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Not even close

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    And I for one wouldn’t want a machine like that.

Winning at the cost of undermining the integrity of my alma mater is something I’ll take a hard pass on. Recruiting the right way and landing top 6-8 classes will give Mullen a very good shot at the CFP every few years when things go our way, and New Years six bowl games and top 10 ratings most other years.

works for me, and if he upgrades recruiting as staff turnover occurs, we may find ourselves landing top 5-6 classes, which will put us in the hunt every year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    So i
    so I’ll try to answer but you seem angry for some reason. Yes we may have a few things stacked against us. I disagree with you about winning the East, SEC, or natty as those will help recruiting. Kids want to play for those receiving the most exposure/winning big. We also have different feelings about FSU and Miami. Here’s the the thing we’ve been much better than both programs the last two years ( longer w Miami). They are down big time and I don’t speak of them in the same light as Florida....it’s not close. Only one good team in Florida for kids to consider. 5 star kids from Florida or high 4’s Are not and haven’t been considering FSU and Miami for the last few years ( Chaney an anomaly).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  10. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I agree, but ya can't complain about cheating schools like the gumps getting kids we wanted. Not saying you did though as I can't remember. :confused:

11. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    There will always be some talented kids that choose those 2 schools over Florida due to how they were raised or who their other influences are.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Thank you! Yeah...it was really just great coaching that turned guys like Julio Jones into an NFL player lol. They have been getting ridiculous talent at wr for years despite not throwing the ball around much until recently but sure...its all coaching.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bama’s recruiting didn’t suffer as much as georgia’s improved. georgia went from very good to stratospheric and bama stayed top 5. Incredibly well oiled recruiting machines.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. graylon

graylon Premium Member

Sep 27, 2018

Exactly... the defensive recruting I think is as good as any... but it's just baffling to me that an offensive genius coach is struggle to get an offensive lineman... your reputation alone should get you 3 or 4... we even have playing time to offer... running back I understand why they wouldn't come play for Mullen because they see how much the quarterback runs. Wide receivers are not really featured. But offensive lineman you should be racking up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea the OL recruiting is an issue imo. RB has been bad but you can get around that. The talent a long the OL has increased each season Mullen & O has been here buuuuut we have to start winning battles for elite players. The last of the ELITE OL this cycle who we've had talks with are Mims, Leigh, and Rucci & noone believes we're a serious threat for them at this time.

It would be one thing if we weren't after top targets then the "Hev has his type of OL he likes to recruit" crowd can have justify saying me of the OL we've brought in. Yet we ARE shooting big & missing. No reason why we only have ONE top 150 overall OL on the team.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  16. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Did UF have one when zook, meyer, and muschamp were landing top classes?

17. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    You cant beat a field of cheating without cheating. I have know doubt extra bennys has been a thing since the beginning. I also think saban and BAMA were so desperate to make bama a power again that they took things to a new level and a few programs have followed. There is no way Florida has the same off field machine working that bama, lsu Georgia and a couple others have right now. Every program has "academic support" for players that does more than support. Not every school runs a completely fake curriculum like UNC did. Every school has boosters that pay players. Not Every school relocates families to recruit stsr players. Some say Cheating is cheating I guess but not all cheating is the same.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Meyer for sure, right? Probably not just Pounceys. The difference here is that it’s evident we are being left behind, if you will, because a couple of opponents are consolidating so much OL talent and both of whom we likely have to beat to win the SEC.
    And you won’t get one. If you did it would probably somewhat inept by lack of experience.

When and with whom would we have built one? Spurrier resurrected our program. He surely wasn’t going to let boosters cheat or look the other way while they did. After SOS Zook wasn’t around long enough. I imagine there was some during Meyer, maybe. But after that there’s been little continuity between staffs and I expect that it takes that to have a well oiled cheating machine that can hide itself. Now we have Mullen, presumably for the long haul and he’s not likely the guy that’s going to let things degrade. It seems apparent from our recruiting we aren’t cheating. If we are we aren’t getting our money’s worth. :)

Still, in light of what’s been revealed by a punter, I don’t think every great player that commits elsewhere was bought. I think a lot just go to the best school for football and exposure. The three FL WRs to one school, Bama, is baffling though. Makes one wonder, how much or which of the commits are due to promises and payoffs or of just incredible recruiting and salesmanship. You just can’t pay everyone or only a few without more turning up. Players get jealous, misunderstandings occur, promises aren’t kept, loyalties change. Think about things before the portal. If you had cheated to get me, and it doesn’t work out and I want to transfer, I have the goods and you have no choice. Things come out. Never really happened.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nothing wrong with taking a 4 star WR from Jacksonville which is basically in our backyard. Everybody will be complaining that we slowed played Burke when he heads elsewhere and we don't get the guy(s) we slow played him for. If Burke wants to be a Gator, take him now. SOS won year after year with players like Burke who wanted to be Gators. When it came time, they played like champions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Saban has an extended contract through 2025. JMO, there is no way he is going to coach for another 6 seasons. His contract is to show for recruits, not for him to remain full term in actuality.

On a bell curve, bama has peaked in the Saban cycle and is starting its decent. Even Auburn has beaten bama 2 out of the last 3. Saban won't tolerate riding down the curve after enjoying such historic highs. That slide will continue in 2020. Mack Wilson is no Tua, huge difference at QB. The defense started its decent last season as well. The slide is inevitable. All historic runs have to end. Bama's end is in sight, sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1