Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Leary to Bama

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by shane4three, Jun 16, 2020.

1. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    And commit to a bunch of racist rednecks in times like these. Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It's going to take a few years of sustained excellence to compete with the teams that have been sustaining excellence throughout these kids' football lives (during which UF has been a punchline most of the time). Last year was probably the start of such a run, but even with being ahead of schedule CDM is still patching over major holes that nearly a decade of mismanagement wrought.

Build a complete roster, get a QB that fits the offense, get the football complex built, and then we'll see more headway with UF being able better hold on to elite in-state talent.

Even then, UF still won't be Bammer/UGA/OSU in recruiting. Factors don't align for that on several fronts, as you mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    At the same time though we aren’t going to out-recruit Bama for top tier WR’s in the state or outside..it doesn’t matter. & I like Billy Gonzalez but when you are as successful as Bama is producing WRs every year why would a top guy go to UF? FSU/UM aren’t in the conversation because whether or not kids realize the pedigree of those programs they’ve taken a step back both in recruiting and winning. Norvell is struggling to recruit average prospects & Manny just takes anyone who wants in. We don’t really compete with them for the majority of our recruits. It’s mostly us going up against Bama/UGA/other sec schools..In all honesty, kids don’t want to go to those schools anymore it seems.

4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    True but i also feel like next cycle we'll be nabbing big time recruits. Seems that this cycle and next year 2022 cycle Dan and co has done a better job building relationships with these kids earlier than with 2019 cycle. We're in the final 3 for a lot of kids and next cycle i believe we will start winning our share of those battles. If not..Dan has to shake things up

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Marcus Burke is up to 70% UF. The day we didn't get Leary, we picked up another prediction on 247 Sports. Still, Burke ain't Leary if Leary is the fastest WR in the nation. Do we get any WR who has close to that type of speed?

After we beat bama in the SECCG and again in The Swamp in 21, Leary will realize too late that he made a mistake not coming to a rising program instead of going to a program which is ready for a decline and a new HC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea the Burke thing is tricky and I wonder if how many we take at WR is based on if Shorter (doubtful but still) gets eligibility for this upcoming season and if he does, how does that effect the board cause we're filling up #'s wise there. I also want to know where we stand with Malcolm Johnson because Bama i thinnnnnk is done at WR (or want one more) and OU is the other one who is after Johnson as well. Does UF give Burke the greenlight now (if it IS UF who is indeed the hold up in him committing) or keep poking around at other WR's who they have on the board

7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I mean...I wouldn't say all that

8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Certainly can't fault the high-level guys for that. It's a means to an end just as college is for 98% of all the kids on campus. Only difference is no one is throwing million dollar contracts at those kids after 80 credit hours.

9. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Tbf he has met with many Bama boosters, so that should be taken into consideration.

10. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    You have to be pretty dumb to not go to the NFL after year 3 if you’re a high draft pick. Can always come back after you’ve made millions. Nothing wrong with that

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. blueridgegator

blueridgegator Freshman

Apr 9, 2020
    Bama as "successful at producing WRs" is mainly due to Bama getting top WR prospects to commit. I think Florida does fine with the above average WRs they get and would be even more "successful" with better average of elite prospects at that position. The great question is how to do that considering the great hold on elite recruits that the top 4 or 5 schools seem to have? Agree with some of the factors discussed above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    This is true.

13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Nope, I know what you mean. College is supposed to prepare you for life, and, if you can leave after your redshirt sophomore year and earn a million bucks a year, you're prepared for life.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    uggh..another miss...wheres my chlorox bleach and hydroxychloroquine....the booze isnt doing it anymore.

15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

16. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Right on. LOL. I will get chastised for saying this and I know people don't want to believe it, but I really think everything has to do with money and what the university has to "offer" (wink/wink).:rolleyes:

17. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    One of these days Saban will retire and unless Dabo hoes to Bama, they’re unlikely to maintain the same level of recruiting.

18. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I always feel that it'll change the next cycle. This 2020 class looked amazing this time last year. 2019 class looked like it could have been elite in May 2018. The pattern has been Mullen is getting better at evaluating kids that fit the his mold and decreasing signing day drama, but there hasn't been any significant improvement in class rankings.

I'm not optimistic we'll ever recruit at an elite level like Bama with Mullen. We can get better by replacing our weakest recruiters with strong ones, but I think if Dan was a stronger recruiter himself he could cover up more of the problems. And to get to that very top, the HBC needs to be an elite recruiter.

Luckily, while I think we need to improve, Dan is a good enough coach that I don't think we need to be that good. We don't need to sign 4-6 5-stars. But we still need 1/3rd of our class to come from the top 100 or so recruits.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Depends on who they hire. Some thought the same about OSU but Day is off to a helluva start and the same with Kirby taking over for Richt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This assessment is spot on, and I don't consider it to necessarily be a knock on CDM. He shines as a game day coach. As for recruiting, he's just not an elite top 5 recruiter. We have enough evidence now to know that he will rack up W's at UF. Time will tell if it is enough to get us into the playoff.

• Agree Agree x 2