Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lawmakers say they have reached an ‘agreement in principle’ to avoid government shutdown

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Feb 12, 2019.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    The ball is in trump's court. I won't hold my breath waiting on trump's okay, or barring that, the Republican Senate having the balls to send him the bill anyway. The conservative Twitterati is against it, with Hannity calling it "a garbage compromise". And we all know trump doesn't like to stand up to them.

I'd say the "smart" move for trump would be to sign it, then declare his BS emergency to try and circumvent Congress and get his wall built. It'll get dragged through the courts just short of forever allowing his base to still believe they're getting their wall. trump can then claim he won...somehow....and his base will pretend that it's true.

Lawmakers say they have reached an ‘agreement in principle’ to avoid government shutdown

Key lawmakers announced a tentative deal late Monday that would avert another government shutdown at the end of the week while denying President Trump much of the money he’s sought to build new walls along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The agreement came together during intense hours of closed-door negotiations at the Capitol, as lawmakers resurrected talks that had fallen apart over the weekend in a dispute over new Democratic demands to limit immigrant detention. Democrats ultimately dropped some of those demands, which had come under fire from Republicans, clearing the way for a deal.

The deal includes $1.375 billion for 55 miles of fences along the border, compared with $5.7 billion Trump had sought for more than 200 miles of walls. The deal omits a strict new cap Democrats had sought on immigrants detained within the United States — as opposed to at the border. At the same time, it limits overall levels of detention beds maintained by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, although GOP aides said ICE would have enough money and flexibility to maintain its current detention levels and add more when needed.

White House officials were reviewing the terms of the deal, and Shelby said he was hopeful Trump would be supportive. But details of the compromise disclosed late Monday quickly came under fire from conservatives, raising the prospect of a backlash from the right that could ultimately render it unacceptable to Trump.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle

• Like Like x 1
  3. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I don't see Trump accepting this as his total effort for a wall - Hannity and Rush won't let him. Could declare national emergency and then use the inevitable court fights as a platform from which to run in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This will definitely keep a section of his base fired up. Two more years of denigrating brown skinned people... for sport and political gain... now as a "national emergency". Lots of freshly killed red meat for those folks. They'll be foaming at the mouth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    And in the end, he will leave the country worse off due to his "leadership". We will be more strongly divided politically, ties to our allies weakened, our foes emboldened, xenophobia inflamed, disregard encouraged for the good done by environmental regs, financial reforms, the rule of law, the importance of a free press, a strong judicial system.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    I think everything will be fine (no division) once the Democrats have the White House, Senate, House, and Supreme Court and the liberal media starts saying everything is fine.

Oh, and once the Green New Deal passes and 10 years down the road, life as we know it has changed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    Looks like the wall is going to get built. This should be interesting.

The source is impeccable.

From the article:

President Donald Trump will sign spending legislation to prevent a government shutdown while declaring a national emergency to try to build his proposed border wall, the White House confirmed Thursday.

"President Trump will sign the government funding bill, and as he has stated before, he will also take other executive action — including a national emergency — to ensure we stop the national security and humanitarian crisis at the border," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement as the Senate prepared to vote on a measure to keep the government open past a midnight Friday deadline.

"The President is once again delivering on his promise to build the wall, protect the border, and secure our great country," she said.

Trump will sign spending bill, seek a national emergency and 'other executive action' to build wall

• Like Like x 2
  8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Looks to me like there's going to be a court battle over whether the President can sidestep Congress and declare a national Emergency to fund his pet projects.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    What exactly is the impending "national emergency?"

10. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Weird how its was such a big emergency that is was declared only after he couldn't get the funding.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He could sign the spending bill and walk away from this without much more egg on his face. This will not end well for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. wgbgator

2010 Republicans: "Look at all the czars, the executive branch is out of control, this is tyranny"

2019 Republicans: "The president is right to declare a dubious national emergency to achieve his ends"

13. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle

Hey look...trump and I agree on what the "smart move" is.

Mr. "Art of the Deal" shuts down the govt. for 35 days and ends up with less than he was offered before the shut down. He really is a master negotiator.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Can’t wait for dem national emergencies.

Global warming green deals and national gun grabs!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    You're half right. This should definitely be interesting.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I'm hoping for single payer healthcare. Too many American children dying from preventable causes because they don't have good health care. Sounds like an emergency to me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Climate change is actually considered to be one of the most serious threats to our national security, right behind cyber terrorism. Incursion from our southern border is nowhere in the top 10.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. gator10010

Aug 23, 2008
    2010 Democrats: "The end justifies the means"

2019 Democrats: "The president is out of control"

You know how this works.

19. wgbgator

Well, as long as you are conceding its not a real emergency and just a power grab my work here is done. Anyways, thanks for setting the precedent. Climate Change Stalin is gonna rule.

20. gator10010

Aug 23, 2008
    I didn't concede that it wasn't a real emergency. Thank you for not putting words in my mouth.