Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Laptop malfunctioning

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Jun 29, 2021.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'll take another look.

It's an all-in-one desktop, no CPU.

2. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    There's definitely a CPU in there. The chip. I run across this all the time where folks refer to the tower part of a desktop as the CPU. Even if it's a laptop, There's a cpu in it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Well anyway, could one become slower than the other, all-in-one versus tower? It would seem to me (I know nothing about this stuff) that something has been compromised to get everything into an all-in-one instead of that bulky tower.

4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Thanks. I don't know why it took me so long to use PowerShell... You made a convert out of me. I love it! The syntax seems to be the same, at least for what I needed, which makes it easy to use.

I ran the DISM in PowerShell (Admin) and it worked great. No more need for me to use command prompt. Not that I know of.

I did run into one problem, but it's probably a browser thing, Firefox. during my DISM session I noticed a statement on the top during the DISM process. it was about a cross-platform PowerShell? Do you know anything about that? Here it is -- Install PowerShell on Windows, Linux, and macOS - PowerShell Do you know anything about that? Never mind it's just a leftover there becasue it was not install in Windows 7 and other platforms automatically... not until Windows 10.

I'll bet my slow start-ups are caused by my Firefox Browser... I needs to get my cumputer so start up faster... too slow.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  5. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I wouldn't think one would get slower over time than the other. If anything, at least laptops stay cleaner due to their occasional use compared to an always-on desktop. I still remember my first internship. It was with the county. Included with that was the animal shelter. I was dispatched there to inspect and clean a desktop they had. If we had a vomit emoji, I'd use it. Cat and dog hair EVERYWHERE and it reeked. But, that's mostly going to come back to overheating issues leading to component failure more so than sluggish performance.

Your Dell should have a service tag on it. From there, we should be able to see the specs, the hardware components it was made with.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Cross-Platform Powershell is the new powershell that you can use on Linux, Mac and Windows based machines with the same app. No need to switch between powershells to use on other platforms.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Right now I'm Powershell shocked. It will take me a while to go through all this. Thanks for all the info.

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is cross-platform PowerShell used in virtual systems? Is that why it was created in the first place?