Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lane Kiffin

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by akaGatorhoops, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He’s no threat until that money starts rolling. Maybe they don’t have it

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    When I can’t remember why I went to the tool trailer, I just try to go back to work.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I hold him in minimal high regard. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Derm777

Derm777 Freshman

Feb 9, 2008
    Can you imagine Kiffin in a television booth as a commentator?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Could care less about him. Although I would tune in to his pc if he ever beat Saban.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Checking his pulse. :emoji_joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Lane was a self entitled arrogant prick. He was an NFL head coach in his 30s and probably thought he couldn't fail.

He did. Miserably.

Failure has a way of humbling a person. Age has a way of maturing a person. His time at Alabama and FIU or FAU or whatever saw him grow up tremendously and I think he has learned to laugh at himself. His twitter is often self deprecating humor and he is showing he isn't taking himself too seriously.

I dislike him a lot less now.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. col_kurtz

col_kurtz GC Legend

Oct 8, 2007
    That’s after a night of chasing underaged co-eds at Club Boca. After moving to Boca he became Joey Saltwater.

9. CadGator

CadGator Senior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    He's a complete douchebag in my opinion!
    I know a lot of Gators that thought he'd be a great fit to coach here.
    Definitely didn't want him representing the Gators!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Gatorborn

Gatorborn Junior

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    Say what you want but without Lane we would not have had Kiffin's Krimson Korner or Kiffin's Krimson Korner 2!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. unclerob

unclerob Sophomore

Aug 14, 2015
    When Lane was younger, he was the guy who was born on third base, scored on a sacrifice fly, and then celebrated like he had hit a homerun. Continuing with the baseball analogies, he got thrown out trying to steal bases a few times, and learned when to to run. He always had some talent, it's just now he has backed it up with some actions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    He was always such a pouty-face annoying douche. Really an ass-hat extraordinaire. :confused: And, he was married to a Gator greats daughter too. Just strange.

But...while I reserve my right to change my mind in the future, currently, I find him actually pretty funny - he's also a great recruiter and a fabulous offensive mind. He'll scratch, crawl and earn his way to the top. I wouldn't be surprised to see him the head coach at Bama or some other premier football program one day.

Go Gators:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    Lane is great, but I will go back to not liking him when he becomes next HC of FSU or Miami

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. wcgator

wcgator Freshman

Sep 20, 2009
    Mount Sterling, KY
    When he was the Coach at UTK, I couldn't stand him and though he was an arrogant ass. Now, I think he's a funny guy who doesn't mind saying what he really thinks. In a way he kind of reminds me of Spurrier.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. seffnergator

seffnergator Sophomore

Apr 20, 2007
    seffner,fla.
    So was I when I read this

16. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    I wish we had him here. Reminds me a lot of Spurrier.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But SOS never had much for the college age girls.

18. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Comparing Kiffin to SOS is a joke and an insult to our greatest coach.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But the smartassness that only we liked is similar. You do know others didn’t like his coloring book jokes nearly as much as we did.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sulla

Sulla Premium Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    I think he's good for the program here, and I think that he's a good fit. Ole Miss and Lane are kind of greater than the sum of their parts for some reason. Their ceiling is a little higher combined than separately it feels like. Plus, even the bad Lane of yore is pretty tame for what went down with Freeze or even some of the stuff I've heard about Orgeron while he was here, which makes this one of the few places where Lane's past isn't as bad as some of the other recent guys.

My guess is that sooner or later, he'll get lured away to a bigger program, and it won't go well. He's not a CEO type like Saban from what I've heard and loves kind of shooting from the hip. I think because Ole Miss is a team that really can't expect more than a puncher's chance for the SEC even when the stars align for them, Lane's style works. For better or worse, he's the kind of guy who might think he could take a swing at the biggest guy in the bar and actually come out on top. Not sure that would translate well at a bigger program used to sustained dominance.

I've enjoyed having him here, personally. I never could really get into Ole Miss football when Freeze and Luke were here. Just felt like the same old "one of us" BS I always hated about Ole Miss when I was a kid. The team feels more like a modern SEC team these days and less like its high on its own supply of mythology from the 50s and 60s teams.

I also think he's far from the sleaziest guy in the conference. Dude is at worst a bit of a Dennis the Menace who had a thing for younger women, which he at least wasn't paying for and. Jimbo and Brian Kelly seem orders of magnitude worse that a middle-aged, eternal frat kid.

• Like Like x 4