Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lane K

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Nov 13, 2021.

Who will be Florida’s coach in 2022?

1. Dan Mullen

35.8%
  2. Dave Aranda

4.2%
  3. Lane Kiffin

18.8%
  4. Urban Meyer

2.2%
  5. James Franklin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Billy Napier

16.0%
  7. Other

23.0%
  1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    A guy like Cristobal makes sense because he's known for being a good recruiter. But even he's probably not the answer. His Oregon teams have talent advantages over pretty much everyone in the Pac-12 and he still loses games he should win.

In other words, his big strength is recruiting... and he's not as good of a recruiter as Saban or Kirby. It's not even clear if he can beat *insert LSU head coach* and Jimbo in recruiting on a yearly basis.

If you're known for recruiting and you're 3rd or 4th best in the conference, you're not a championship level coach. You may not even improve on Mullen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Everyone wants an exact answer. That's not life. People like Kiffin because he's a personable guy who knows offense, and he's not currently at a premiere school. Hiring Kiffin makes sense, some just are gonna argue everything for the sake of perfection.

How can you know Mullen can turn it around?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Unless he’s an Oklahoma boy Gainesville has to look way better than spending the rest of your life in Norman

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    can anyone tell me what kiffycakes has actually accomplished that warrants so many clamoring for him

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Define “personable”

6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I don't, but I like his chances more of turning it around than Kiffin winning a title here. My opinion may change with new information, particularly who he hires.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

And it would be like Christmas for recruiting!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. capnpen

capnpen Sophomore

May 28, 2007
    The signs of a dumpster fire were plastered all over the program last year after the three losses at the end of the season. Even with the "man down" situation in the bowl game, the team played like it didn't care and Mullen acted like he didn't care. Fast-forward to this season and nothing has changed. We've limped to 5-5 on the backs of two wins over Group of Five teams, two wins over lower-echelon SEC teams and a lucky-as-hell win over an FCS team. I'd say that the signs that he's not able to do the job are pretty clear.

(And the last time we asked that question was when Muschamp left a turd in the Georgia Southern punchbowl and still came back for an encore. Of course, that led to McElweenie. Hopefully we can set our sights a little higher this time. A proven Power Five winner would be nice. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge ... Kiffin.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. Sulla

Sulla GC Legend

Oct 28, 2012
    Oxford, MS
    Well, I work at Ole Miss and haven't heard jack about any of that. I also have had friends who've traveled with the team this season - AS PART OF THE STAFF - and still haven't heard jack about anything nefarious going on.

What I do see is a rumor get posted on one board with no source, churned around in some kind of weird circular posting ring across other sports boards, where the initial hearsay of "having heard something" somehow transubstantiates into actual fact.

Oxford loves gossip, but I rarely hear anything about Kiffin. What I mostly see is people who let what they already think of him allow them to be swayed into thinking every rumor just has to be true - It's Joey Freshwater, right? Of course he was stumbling out of the Tri Delt house at 2 a.m. and was seen at a Fraternity mixer last Tuesday. It's just gotta be true because it's Lane Kiffin.

We just went through a huge scandal here with a coach who really was dipping his wick in strange pretty regularly and paying for it to boot. The blow back from that on top of the NCAA problems took down an AD and was the straw that led to the chancellor leaving. On top of that, the current AD, Keith Carter, had to fight down a palace coup, largely with the help of the Mannings from what I understand, over the feeling that he was betraying the old guard who gave him the job as AD in the first place just to get Kiffin here.

The guy is a wealthy, relatively young, and relatively good looking with a pretty decent personality it seems, at least in that cocksure way that gets a fellow attention. I imagine he has his fun. Hell, I'd almost think it insane if he didn't indulge a tad in what is available to him, and he hardly has to dip into any pools off limits due to his position to still have a hellavalot available to him. But in a town that's so small I've quite literally run into Eli Manning twice (in the doorway of both Kroger and Starbucks), if he was up to half the stuff I read on other boards, he must also be murdering the eye witnesses.

Personally, I think it's a lot envy and subsequently what Nietzsche would call slave morality or Aesop might note as an awful lot of foxes finding a reason to hate some grapes they can't have.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So the data clearly shows Kiffin is an above average recruiter that does well when he is at a top end program and things are going well, and does about average to below average when the product he is selling isn’t stellar.

Certainly not the monster recruiter being portrayed by several here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dabigunit

dabigunit GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007

If you don't see it then you haven't followed Kiffin or you have a very short memory. You don't remember how much we hated Kiffin in his one season at UT when he stole a few top recruits from us? You forgot so quickly?

Kiffin has excelled as a recruiter everywhere he has coached at, whether as an OC, WR coach, or HC. Even in his one year at Tennessee he recruited the 8th ranked class and beat Meyer head to head for a few top recruits including a top WR from Pahokee, Florida. The man can recruit.

Do you expect someone to pull in top 5 recruiting classes at Ole Miss? Lmao you can't be serious. A 17th ranked class at Ole Miss is really good, especially since Ole Miss is on probation. Ole Miss usually gets a recruiting class ranked in the 30s. A 17th ranked class at Ole Miss is equivalent to a top 3 class at UF. We are talking about Ole Miss here, a never been mediocre mid level program.

And yes, like everywhere else he did recruit well at USC (and they were on probation also at the time if you remember). He also was a great recruiter at Bama. In fact, his entire body of work as a recruiter is strong. He hasn't been at a single place that he hasn't recruited above their average. The man was even recruiting coordinator at USC for 3 straight #1 recruiting classes. As HC he brought in a recruiting class at USC with 5 five star recruits while USC was on probation. Ask USC, Alabama, and Tennessee fans how his recruiting is. They will tell you.

You say I am obsessed with Kiffin, but that is a laughable joke. Kiffin is not even my first choice.

My order goes like this (including only realistic candidates so not including guys like Meyer, Matt Rhule etc):

1. Hugh Freeze
    2. Luke Fickell
    3. Billy Napier
    4. Lane Kiffin

I really want either Freeze or Fickell.

He is 4th on my list, but I can recognize the fact that the man can recruit. You are so blinded by your hatred of Lane from 11 years ago that you now pretend that he can't recruit and that he doesn't have a staff full of strong recruiters like Durkin and that he recruits on the same level as Dan Mullen, an atrocious recruiter with a staff full of trash recruiters LOL

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. If Mullen gets fired this year, Lane Kiffin is my #3 choice behind Mel Tucker and James Franklin. More than likely there will be some coaching movement this year that will send Franklin to USCw (or maybe LSU, but I doubt that). Tucker may get looked at by USCw, LSU, and perhaps some other team that I am not tracking. Kiffin might be my #1 choice in 2022 if Tucker and Franklin change jobs this year and cannot get out of those shiny new contracts.

13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I’ll rake Lane. More w less talent wise

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. dabigunit

Apr 29, 2007
    Dan Mullen's tenure here is a failure and I want him fired. He is also an arrogant unlikable man (which is why he sucks in recruiting so badly), but that doesn't mean I hate him. I don't like him though, but I don't care about that. I care if a coach wins or not and he has failed in that badly. I just want him fired.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. The only reasons I do not list Luke Fickell is are: his son will be attending Cincy next year, and his roots appear to be deeply planted in the state of Ohio. Billy Napier will likely be atop the list for LSU, but he is #6 on my list behind Mel Tucker, James Franklin, Lane Kiffin, Mark Stoops, and Luke Fickell. I assume Florida would avoid Hugh Freeze until the world forgot his past mistakes, but I would have him on my list above Mark Stoops otherwise.

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    So your big sell for Kiffin as a recruiter is that he beat Meyer head to head for some recruits and was a successful recruiting coordinator for Pete Carroll's USC Trojans? And a bunch of other fans think he's a great recruiter? And his 17th ranked class at Ole Miss with a whopping 4 top 250 players?

Anything else?

17. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    well meatchicken state is trying to lock down Tucker with a monster new deal
    and Franklin is showing he is no better than Mullen
    not sure why anyone would want kiffycakes at UF - he seems to wear out his welcome rather quickly s he has never lasted very long at any of his stops- he did not recruit Corral to ole miss and he has yet to break the top 15 in his recruiting classes

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    All things equal, do you think he recruits better, worse, or the same as Mullen?

19. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Maybe we can pry Bob Stoops away from FSU.

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. dabigunit

Apr 29, 2007
    No, my big sell is that Kiffin has been a great recruiter everywhere he has been and that you can't find a single place where Kiffin recruited below standards or a single place where he didn't recruit above standards.

I notice that you ignore every point I make because you can't refute it like how you ignored the fact that I said Kiffin pulled in the 8th ranked recruiting class in his one season as HC for the Vols.

A 17th ranked class is great for Ole Miss, especially when they are on probation. They usually rank in the 30s. Do you expect someone to pull in top 5 classes at Ole Miss and win national titles? and while on probation? LOL

You compared Dan Mullen's recruiting ability with Lane Kiffin. Give it up. You lost. LOL

Btw who are your top candidates? or do you want to retain Dan Mullen (insanity).

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1