Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lake deputy kills gator that trees girl at Freak Creek

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by gatorjjh, Jul 3, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    as well you should have been, same with the bears that feed of garbage, it ain't the critter that moved in to that habitat

2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I always wondered if gators posed a threat to people in kayaks and canoes. Now I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    #gatorslivesmatter

4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Does anyone ever go rowing on Lake Alice?:eek:

5. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Lake Alice is too small to be of any use for rowing clubs. Area rowing crews train at Newnans Lake, located about 10 miles east of campus. Both lakes have gators patrolling the waters but Newnans is a much bigger lake than Alice.

Link: Newnans Lake

NEWNANS LAKE
    SPORTS
    • 5,800 Acre Lake
    • Home to Gainesville Area Rowing and Florida Crew, the University of Florida's Rowing Club
    • New Rowing Center (2017)

[​IMG]

Newnans was known by the Native American tribes that formerly lived in the area as Lake Pithlachocco. In April, 2000, when north Florida was suffering from drought and the lake level was at a record low, a group of high school students walking the shoreline working on an environmental project discovered a partially buried dugout canoe. Then another, and another. When archaeologists finished unearthing or raising submerged canoes, they had discovered 101 boats hewn from pine and ranging in age from 500 to 5000 years old. It was the largest and finest discovery of ancient canoes ever found.

Link: Ancient Canoes Dug Out of Lake Bed

"Archaeologists performed radiocarbon tests on 53 of the canoes, while recording their length, width, depth and where they were found. The canoes, likely used as fishing boats, were up to 22 feet long. Many had rounded sterns and bows. Tests on six canoes showed they were made of pine.

"After the find was documented, the canoes were reburied in the lake bottom. If left exposed to the air and sun, they would have crumbled in days.

"James Billie, Seminole Indian chief, said the lake's original name was Pithlachocco, a Seminole word meaning 'place of long boats.'"

"'This may have been a factory where boats were made,' he said."

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

I know that Lake Alice is too small for sculling, although a regular rowboat or kayak would fit...

I was being a bit sarcastic considering the population of gators in there.

7. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    :emoji_unamused: Good to know, but you did post "rowing" - not row boating, canoeing, or kayaking. The images on google for "rowing" are decidedly different from those found under "row boating."

And there is a designated emoticon for sarcasm.:emoji_upside_down:

What is scaling?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Lake Pithlachocco (Newnan's Lake) is one I wouldn't dip my big toe in. I lived off SE 39th Terr and Hawthorne Road for a couple years in college and still would drive out to Melrose to ski. Those guys rowing, canoeing, fishing or whatevering on that sewer of a lake are crazy. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1