Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lack of Height on Championship Teams

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Louisville_Gator, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Freshman

Mar 15, 2012
    Based on what seems like our constant concerns about having big men, I thought this was an interesting tweet from a local sports radio guy (@J680Anderson) here in Louisville:

Last 2 years the NC winner’s 425 total minutes played (25 for overtime last night) only 7 were by any player taller than 6’9 Nova 0 of 200 minutes Virginia 7 of 225 minutes

Jack Salt specifically only played 4 minutes last night. In 2018 he had 17 games where he played at least 20 minutes. Since February he’s only played 3 games of at least 20 minutes. And has played single digits 5 of the last 6 games.

Limited sample size but small ball has taken over the NBA. Jay Wright and Tony Bennett evolved and now both have hung banners.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. fijigator

fijigator Sophomore

Apr 4, 2019
    I'd love us to add some type of an athletic shot blocker who can give us the production that made Hayes so valuable. Texas Tech with Owens and Virginia with Diakite weren't all that talented offensively, but both knew their roles and did the dirty work down low. An athletic big man with hops and timing ability on the boards is much more valuable in today's game than your typical mule from previous generations.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    What I saw last night was not tremendous height but tremendous arm length. Wingspan. These guys were athletic and could rebound and block shots and alter shots. That's what we're getting with Omar Payne.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Scottie Lewis as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    And Duruji from La Tech if we can get him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    This is exactly right. People keep talking as if Shaq is the gold standard for bigs, but it is more like Anthony Davis. Small ball is everywhere. If you can find a 6'10" kid with the skill to pass, shoot, run the floor, then great, but more often than not those guys clog the lane offensively, can't switch onto guards defensively, and slow you down on the break while getting beaten in transition. That's why I take a Hayes over an Egbunu if I have to choose.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    The problem was that big bodies could back Hayes down. Eggs couldn't be moved out of the post. I like that we have some powerful kids in KJ and Stokes coming back, that can complement lengthy guys like Gak and Payne.
    Gak and Payne. Hmm. Sounds like a brand-name defense. "Let's inflict a little Gak and Payne on 'em, boys."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I'm still holding out hope for Blackshear. He probably won't make a decision for a month or so I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Give me a new Dirk Nowitski.

LOL.

I will take another Matt Bonner if I can't have that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Wes Unseld is not playing Division 1 NCAA basketball next season.

Unless Stokes can do it.

11. fijigator

fijigator Sophomore

Apr 4, 2019
    The way Hayes was playing in the 2nd half of this season, I'd agree with this 100%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If we lose our big man coach, it may hurt with bigs or those he was personally involved in recruiting

13. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Hunter has a crazy wingspan and is strong as a bull...plus he has great offensive skills. Don't tell me you don't need quality big men to win. Even TT had some big dudes in the post that can make it tough on other teams and an athletic Owens that has great shot blocking ability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Hijack ALERT: Name your shortest Gators starting five. Off the cuff . . .
    PG - Erv
    SG - Teddy (Some will argue PG, but he was really a SG)
    SF - Beal (There's got to be someone shorter than 6'5" here)
    PF - Keyontae Johnson
    C - Da Meat Hook

• Like Like x 2
  15. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    I think it makes little sense to bemoan "not having big men" in the abstract. Would you take an athletic team with some real sharp shooters like villanova over a traditional team of larger humans with less scoring ability?

The Gators problems this year started not with their bigs but with their smaller players. Allen/Hudson should have demanded extra defensive attention every game but both simply disappeared at times. Further, neither EVER excelled at driving and dishing. Add a super talented freshman PG who needed time to learn college ball and work on his shot with bigs that were largely offensively challenged and you get our team.

All things being equal, heigh helps. But height was nowhere near the main issue with this year's team. We need guards that score and pressure teams from the outside/in (or at least driving). That is the modern game.

16. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

Its most optimal to have both.....

not to mention the fact that we rarely got to see a fully healthy Egbunu on the court.

17. fijigator

fijigator Sophomore

Apr 4, 2019
    All those old school teams we had included mostly 6'3-5 forwards.
    PG Erving Walker 5'8
    SG Chiozza 5'10
    SF Bob Shiver 6'2
    PF Carlos Morrison 6'3
    C Bob Emrick 6'5

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    And that we played by far our best ball in the White era that E8 season before Egbunu went down. He was starting to peak and the team was too

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    He was playing very well defensively and on the glass, and that's where the team had made its strides, but our offensive ratings went up after Hayes replaced him.

20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    I'm not even talking about Hayes personally so much as his style of play. You want guys who can switch onto one through four, set high screens and roll or pope, post up at the top of the key to open lanes, and beat their guys down the floor on both ends.