Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

KY QB

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ahudson, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

George Blanda says hello

2. It's an Appalachian thing... you wouldn't understand it.

Unless you have been to that area or know people there. WVU, VT, uVa, ky, to some extent the follies all are big rivals in that neck of the woods. Remember the big game at Bristol Speedway?

I would venture to say that that game, being played in Charlotte, would have been one of the most well-attended regional matchups of all the "minor" bowls this year.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  3. denny_crane

denny_crane All American

Apr 14, 2007
    Seeing that Fuente, by his inaction, was basically condoning the behavior and he came from Memphis, maybe Norvell to FSU isn't such a stretch after all.

4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
  5. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Apr 8, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Touché. He is the best player at UK that I have seen play.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    George didn't do anything, it was That Bullard in front of him fighting at that mid field brawl in 1998.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Blanda finished his UK career in 1948.
    I'm gonna guess you didn't see him play. :emoji_thinking:

EDIT: I misinterpreted your post.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Va Tech should have never allowed the pregame harassment. Classless and lack of control by coaches.

Ky kid should not have punched the VT player. I guarantee if he were at UF Mullen would bench him. Stooping to the level of a thug is not the answer but uk/vt should have shut this down much sooner.

9. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I can understand KY qb reactions, enough is enough when it comes to the kind of bush league actions on the part of VT. And in the end they got what they deserved a big L. For VT coaching staff to allow the type of harassment at a bowl event says a lot about them. They provoked what happened, not that it was condoned, in fact the qb regretted his actions but it was not premeditated.

The ky qb basically single handily beat VT. It was one of the most amazing displays of shear will to win. I found myself rooting for ky as if they were O and B.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. Gatorryder

Gatorryder GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Watched most of the game and was very happy for Bowden. It was amazing what he accomplished for UK this season. The opposing teams knew that Bowden was the offense and still couldn't stop it. I believe VT tried everything to get in his mind before the game and thankfully it didn't have a happy ending for VT. Congrats to LB and UK for an exciting win!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah Denny, Princess posted something earlier about Norvell being too ethical or moral for FSU. I had to reserve comment on that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    I'm wondering too and would like to know.

I've seen Bowden interviewed a few times on TV after games and was very impressed. Both times he had his son in his arms and seemed like a great young man and father. Didn't seem to be the type to stir up trouble with other players, more like a mature adult who has other priorities in life than feuding with players from another team.

13. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I had the same thought. The FSU players were walkons who weren't going to play a second and we lost one of our best defenders.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    There was a discussion. This is what I’ve been told as well.

15. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    Yes

16. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Never happened. This myth was invented by nolie homers on the local Tally radio sports stations after the weekend of that brawl. I know two of the fsu trainers who were on the field in the middle of that melee' when that happened, and it didn't happen. That's according to a trainer who was about 5 feet from Bowden too. They never saw a football. Neither did Bowden according directly to him too. Johnson did throw a football into the crowd, but it hit an fsu football player in the helmet and it bounced off in Bowden's direction, but never really came near him.

17. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Good to hear . Hope you are right . But I also don’t believe the Warren Commision

18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    you are probably right Jeff

19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I gotta say I like the chrome helmets your Cats wear. Doesn’t work for everybody but it looks sharp with y’all’s blue

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    I'm a gator through and through.... but Bowden jr was the player I enjoyed watching the most this year.
    Guy was a star WR, and unselfishly gave up his wr stats to help his team. Played like a man, led his team, did everything he could through out the season. At one point he led the team in rushing yards, receiving yards and passing yards.
    He is what college football is about.
    Loved watching him and pulled for him every game.

• Friendly Friendly x 1