Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ky. Indictment for Illegal Corporate Contributions Informs problems with Trump Organization Payments

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by duchen, Aug 31, 2018.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    In response to the "expert" defenders of Trump who believe that he is being singled out for illegal campaign contributions with respect to the Trump Organization payments to Michael Cohen's company to give to Stormy Daniels or to the Enquirer to "buy" the rights to MacDougal's story, and in response to the arguments that it was not illegal, there was this indictment in Kentucky. From the Justice Department:

A federal grand jury in Lexington returned an indictment charging Gerald G. Lundergan, 71, of Lexington, Kentucky, with one count of conspiracy, one count of making corporate campaign contributions, four counts of causing the submission of false statements to the FEC, and four counts of causing the falsification of documents with the intent to obstruct and impede a matter within the FEC’s jurisdiction. The indictment also charges Dale C. Emmons, 66, of Richmond, Kentucky, with one count of conspiracy, one count of making corporate campaign contributions, two counts of causing the submission of false statements, and two counts of causing the falsification of documents with the intent to obstruct and impede.

The indictment alleges that Lundergan used the funds of S.R. Holding Company Inc. (“S.R. Holding”), a company he owned, to pay for services provided by consultants and vendors to a campaign for U.S. Senate in the 2014 election cycle. The candidate for this seat was Lundergan’s family member. The indictment alleges that Lundergan and another S.R. Holding employee issued a number of payments from S.R. Holding funds for services that included audio-video production, lighting, recorded telephone calls, and campaign consulting between July 2013 and December 2015. The payments referenced in the indictment allegedly totaled $194,270.39 over time.

According to the indictment, these payments included $119,145.45 paid from S.R. Holding to Emmons and his company during this period for services to the campaign. Emmons also used the funds of his corporation, Emmons & Company Inc., to pay other vendors and a campaign worker for services rendered to the campaign. Over time, according to the indictment, Emmons paid $38,603.80 to these vendors for recorded telephone calls, technological support services, and other campaign-related expenses.

The indictment alleges that Lundergan and Emmons concealed these activities from other officials associated with the campaign. Their concealments allegedly caused the campaign unwittingly to file false reports with the FEC, in that the reports failed to disclose the source and amount of the corporate contributions.

Two Indicted for Making Corporate Contributions to U.S. Senate Campaign

2. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I get this is wrong but not sure how you tied this to Trump. I personally am in favor of completely open and transparent campaign contributions without limit. Anything else puts the honest at a disadvantage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think duch is just saying that this isn’t a conspiracy against trump. Others are charged with similar crimes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. llm85

llm85 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2011
    Naples
    Huh? It sure looks like duch is trying somehow to connect this to Trump and Stormy Daniels. The Ky Sec of State’s father made illegal corporate contributions to his daughter’s campaign and then tried to cover it up. That is nothing like the alleged Stormy Daniels situation.

5. Rocinante

Rocinante All American

May 28, 2013
    Why not eliminate any contributions or favors to current or past politicians. A fixed amount, publicly funded, that candidates can use. Let’s say, $750,000,000 for each qualifying candidate for Pres, on down from there. Let’s say it cost, $25/billion a year, the savings from unnecessary spending would likely be way more than what it costs. I don’t know how that qualifying will work without making it political.

6. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Isnt that kindof traditionally how it was done. I think Obama was the first to turn down the money and raise it privately instead but my memory is fuzzy on this.

7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    @GatorRade in post 3 made one of the points I was trying to get across. The government indicts campaign donation violations. It does not do so when cumulative reported contributions exceed limits and there are accounting issues (the Obama donations). Those are not criminal because the requisite mental state cannot be shown. When contributions are funneled through entities, are hidden, and are not disclosed, that is where a criminal mental state can be shown. That is the similarity to the AMI/Enquirer cases and Stormy Daniels. And, cases are prosecuted; the Trump campaign is not being singled out.

• Like Like x 1