Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kudos to Bassett. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 9, 2019.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Not a perfect game, but played hard and did some nice things. He really made Gafford work, and I think wore on him late in the game.
    Bassett has improved as a player, and has a much higher ceiling that I first thought. He needs to learn to play without fouling.
    But he did a nice job tonite in extended time.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Agreee. Also props to Hudson. The stat sheet didnt show it (and the missed FTs and layup were brutal) but it was his most aggressive and and best played games of the season, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    yup.

Though I HATED when he passed on the 3 when there was about 1:40 left.

Twice we flattened out the offense and let Hudson run an iso play. I loved. He is really tough to stop there. Both times he got fouled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Yeah, passing up the open 3 was bad but I'm not sure that wasn't on White instead of Hudson. Clearly White likes to slow down the game and milk the clock with a lead if late. Passing up the 3 may have just been coaches orders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tc7

tc7 Freshman

May 5, 2015
    Basset did a heck of a job bodying gafford. Some bad fouls early but I thought he played well. This is a good confidence builder for Saturday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Hudson missed a three late in the game and allowed his man to drive around him for a layup on the other end. I can see why White has had him on the bench a lot. His defense lacks a lot to be desired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Bassett looks a lot leaner and quicker than when he first got here. Looks like somebody has gotten him into much better physical condition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He's working at getting better and was a better player at Arky than Hayes was (which is not usually the case). I don't mind the fouls when they're a result of playing hard; that's what happens. Dontay's foul issues come from the silly or unnecessary ones.
    Keith Stone has a different foul issue. Has there been a game this season in which he didn't pick up an offensive foul? He usually gets 2 or 3 each game, and those are essentially turnovers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I didnt think it was a bad defensive game by Hudson, outside of the play you cited. But I usually key on one guy to watch dedesnviely, and this game it was Alllen. So I may have missed some things.

10. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    There does seem to be a rather consistent drop off defensively when he’s in, and given our scoring deficiencies we can’t afford giving up easy points which has happened a few too many times this year.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I’d agree. He looked way more connected.
    His three blunders were the free throws, matador defensive play and passing on the wide open three.
    I was happy to see White let him play thru.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Since this is a topic about a Gator big man, I wonder what the reason for parking Stokes on the bench was. With Arkansas' pressure defense and all the UF fouling, I thought MW would have to use him at some point, even with his foot speed issues.

13. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I think Hudson needs to ditch those Carmelo Anthony looking shoes and go back to the ones he had last year, I think it was the Jordan 10 retros.

On the topic of Bassett, he's doing his job. Catches and finishes, rebounds, plays mostly good defense. Just needs to learn how to play straight up instead of reaching and pushing.

14. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Legend

Jan 1, 2008
    It was Hudson defending on Arky's last shot attempt that was basically an airball (might have grazed the rim), so props to him forcing a tough shot. I would much rather have him on the floor late in the game than the offensively impotent lineup we had out there late vs. SC. With that said, he has become a God-awful FT shooter. Probably the worst I've seen relative to his skill level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I've noticed that someone has finally forced Bassett to get his hip out and actually make contact on high ball screens, as opposed to the matador version he showed for the first dozen games or so. If Bassett can move his feet faster coming out of the screen, maybe we will start to see some pick-and-roll buckets assisted by Nembhard.

• Like Like x 1