Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

KSP Stadium

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by jaxg8r, May 10, 2021.

1. jaxg8r

jaxg8r VIP Member

Jan 21, 2008
    After Cottrill's HR bomb in yesterdays softball game, I was wondering. With the KSP Stadium renovation having recently been done, it would be easy to commemorate such memorable events. The roof of the bull pen, the score board, and the metal fencing beyond the outfield wall would be perfect spots for commemorative signage. Maybe a jersey with the players name, number, and date of the game. Big enough to be easily read. Literally, a Ring of Honor.

Are plays like Cottrill's HR rare enough to make acknowledging them unique? As a casual observer, I defer to the GC softball experts for their thoughts.

2. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    A Ring of Honor like at the football stadium would be nice. A section of the stadium is already named after our first real superstar - Stacey Nelson Plaza, down the left field line. But a ring of honor would have to start with her & Lauren Haeger. I don't know if others would go up at the moment except for Tim Walton, but for consideration would be Kelsey Stewart, Amanda Lorenz, Kelly Barnhill, Michelle Moultrie & Hannah Rogers. I like the idea. Base ball could do the same thing at their brand new stadium. LSU has jersey numbers of their former great on their baseball stadium.

3. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    I think Alabama's outfield fence (at Rhoades House) with pictures of former players is cheesy looking. Just my opinion. I think our portfolios of WCWS and SEC championships on the outfield fences is great. It's a team game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    It a team game but so is football and people have no problem honoring them. Personally, I thought the Rhoades House wall was pretty awesome and they still have the sec and national championship stuff on it. Something like that would be cool for Florida with its history of standouts

5. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    I believe we have past individual players honored on the walls on the walk thru from the building to the home dugout.

• Like Like x 3
  6. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    The ring of honor already started at KSP. South Florida attorney Ron Young and his wife had the right-field berm named after them earlier this year and I think the flagpole rights are being sold for $1 Million. It will be great for some corporation to get publicity before the game: "Will you all please stand and face the Chick-fil-A flagpole for the singing of the national anthem."

7. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    They do. There are pictures of former players in the locker room, and on the walk to the dugout, they have a row of bats honoring every player who has made All-American. The bats are color-coded by first team, second team, etc. It is really impressive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    jacksonville, florida
    All of the above were great, but dang, Amanda with her keen batting eye could sure hit. Didn't take many call strikes. Maybe Echols may end up here.

9. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    Amanda Lorenz and Kelly Barnhill are definitely on that whether they won a title or not. I would say maybe an Ocasio or Gourley.