Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Koch Network rebuke of Trump and Dumb Populism

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by BLING, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:59 PM.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Hugo Chavez was another populist. It's usually the people that want to change the world that eff it up the most.

2. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, i don’t want to act like an expert on the Koch’s, because I’m am not.

However, I would argue that being ideological isn’t the same as partisan. They are against government intrusion on social and economic issues. For them. It’s a moral right, and of course they are going to support what they consider to be a moral right.

A partisan, for me, is one who supports their side and sees the actions of the other side as bad, even if they are the same actions.

The Koch’s do not strike me like that. I can see them supporting an agreement to not to raise taxes, but they also support traditionally “democratic” ideals, like gay marriage (I think). They also seem to support protection for dreamers, supported heidi heitkamp, and decriminalization. These aren’t things that you get out of political hacks, like Nunes.

I need to learn a lot more about them, but similar to Soros, I think it’s possible that the other side has invented much of the evil their legend.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I think the evilness of their legend is pretty much related to their extreme anti-regulation positions and more so their approach to trying to hijack independent grassroot groups and promote their ideology through them. So the Tea Party was started by individuals reacting to a comment about taxes by a TV commentator and soon after there was a bunch of Koch money and influence behind it and the message changed. Their goal was to bring forth the conservative wing of the party and that's what happened.

4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I'm a libertarian type. Pure democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.

5. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not even sure that is what happened. I do think the tea party was a grass roots movement that the Koch’s eventually backed, but I don’t know that it was a matter of changing the message to theirs. I think it was likely just then funding a group whose ideas mirrored theirs.

People accused the tea party of just being a front for the Koch’s, Soros has the same moment with occupy. I think they both supported these movements, but I am not sure there was any message changing taking place. I don’t know if that is even possible.

6. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    I listened to an in depth interview with Charles Koch from freakonomics today, and I have to say he seems pretty genuine. He cites a great deal of relevant thinkers, and at one point he gives several examples of policies that he’s supported that would have hurt Koch industries bottom line. It’s pretty good for those interested.

Why Hate the Koch Brothers? (Part 1) (Ep. 292) - Freakonomics