Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Kobe Bryant Killed In Helicopter Crash...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by raygravesghost, Jan 26, 2020.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016
    Well based on the way he used to terrorize his opponents, especially in clutch moments in the 4th quarter, the nickname fit quite nicely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    The same thing happened to Bo Rein, who was hired as LSU's football coach in 1979 and died before ever coaching a game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Kobe gave himself that name. This is common knowledge. Anyone that followed the NBA knew him as the Mamba. Air Jordan, Shaq, Magic Johnson, Mamba. All well known nicknames. After his last game he spoke to the crowd. Drpped the Mic and said "Mamba Out".

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tilly

Not sure what you are saying. The report is accurate. Kobe was never convicted of anything, He had a long marriage and 4 beautiful girls. I posted Kobe's own words above. He chose a great nickname for his game. It fit perfectly. He named it after a character in Kill Bill. The Assassin was called the "Black Mamba". Kobe's game assassinated opponents. I know. I watched him dismantle my Magic in the 2009 Finals. He scored 40, 29, 31, 32, 30 in those finals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. tilly

the three precious "Mambas" that were lost on Sunday:
    [​IMG]

As a dad of 2 teenage girls, I just can't imagine the pain that families are enduring.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Used to take my kids hiking in those hills. And one of our favorite Mexican restaurants was across the street. Chilling.

Peace to the families.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I know his daugher was on the helicopter, but I didn't know 2 other girls were on it? Damn, a terrible ending keeps getting worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    As a dad of 1, 8 year old girl, I can't even imagine. I would just kill myself if something happened to her. I am overly nervous and worried about her at all times. It's not normal. It's debilitating. I chose not to have another child because I have a problem with the fear although we have a healthy relationship and I check myself, I have an abnormal fear of protection of her because of my own childhood.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Out here in LA it's still just mourning everywhere you go.

When MJ died it was more expected in a way. People were celebrating his life and there was tears at parties and stuff but the level of sad in LA and I would imagine around the nation and world but it's just everywhere. Somehow I would have never guessed that it would have had the impact it has. I know he's one of the GOAT but I think the suddenness of it. I was in the Apple Store when I heard and the whole place was told at once and grown men were walking out of the store in tears sobbing like babies. Truly sad.

Of course there is always some guy who has to show how caring he is and say "10 people die every second". Yeah but we didn't watch them every day for the past 2 and half decades and since he was in friggen high school. I have shed a tear for people that I have just met in a hospital room. I hate so much when people do that. It's so "hey look how much I care". People feel a bond to celebrities. When George Carlin died, I locked myself in my room for a day.

This just won't sink in. I miss him and I never knew I would.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016
    I posted this in a Kobe thread in another section, figured I’d share it here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 7
  11. tilly

Perfectly stated...oh and your comment about daughters and fear. I don't know if it is abnormal. We SHOULD adore our kids and worry about the dangers they face. It is our jobs. That means you care man.

I have three. 9 (boy), 13 and 15 (Girls). My 15 year old gets her license next month. She is a good safe driver, but everyone else is not. I am a person of strong faith, but human emotion is something the creator gave us and it can be overwhelming at times.

I "hated" Kobe at times. (Because he kept my team from a title), But as a hoops junkie, I loved his game, and I loved who he became after his mistakes when he was a younger adult. Much like I became a Reggie Miller fan late in his career. I sat in awe when Kobe scored 60 in his finale.

Yes people die every second. But think of the tentacles of this one.

• One wife lost her celebrity husband and her daughter. (And it is a tabloid free for all to top it off.)
    • One child lost BOTH parents and her sister. (How does she recover from that???)
    • One man lost a wife and daughter.
    • Hundreds of baseball players lost their former coach.
    • Millions of fans lost a man that inspired them.
    • Grandparents lost their children and grandchildren. (Let that one sink in.)
    • An entire city lost one of it's great young influencers.

This was a global tragedy, and while on a personal level every lost life causes deep pain to loved ones, this one reached way beyond that, in a multiplicity of complex ways.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  12. tilly

Dear God that is powerful.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Baller

Baller GC Hall of Fame

Sep 17, 2011
    Lakeland, Florida

I have never posted this anywhere. But my wife and I recently lost our 13 month old son to meningitis on Dec 31st 2016 (the date my wife and I met 2012). It is the most unbearable feeling in the entire world. I don't know how to describe the pain that we are enduring but God has made a way for us to sustain and endure. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. My wife and I are currently 30 years old and have feelings how you described. We do not want another child for fear. The PTSD is insane. I also recently lost my mother in November 2019 which was his (our son) birth month to Hemorrhagic Stroke. She was 58 years young. My little cousin (my mothers sisters grandchild) of 6 years old was also killed in a four wheeler accident in September of 2018. These last few years have been indescribable.

• Friendly Friendly x 8
  14. tilly

Man. First, good for you being willing to share. Second, keep your faith as your center point and God will lead you to the right options in the future. You and your wife have each other and I pray God has His hand on you both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    You are not alone brother. I lost my mom, my wife (Mrs. GK), and one of my best friends in the span of 1.5 years. It redifined the concept of Suck. However, it is part of life. I totally agree with you on the bolded part. People can be 8 wholes, but they cannot do anything worse than what we have experienced short of murder. Spiral out my friend.

In all kinds of weather... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Baller

Baller GC Hall of Fame

Sep 17, 2011
    Lakeland, Florida
    God definitely has his hand on us for sure. If it was not for Christ I wouldn't know where we would be. I thank God for my salvation everyday. I'm not sure where he will take us but I will always trust in him first and foremost.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Baller

Baller GC Hall of Fame

Sep 17, 2011
    Lakeland, Florida
    My condolences for your losses. You have experienced something similar to us in the amount of losses in such a short time frame. When this first happened in 2016 I became very aware that life is so fragile and no one is promised tomorrow. It has changed me for the better, although I wish there were an alternative to the direction of change I have experienced rather than the path I have walked. In all kinds of weather.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. tilly

Amen my brother. Amen.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

We need a sad emoji button. That is horrific reading it. Can't imagine living it.

20. Baller

Baller GC Hall of Fame

Sep 17, 2011
    Lakeland, Florida
    Living it ... I can't describe it. I take it day by day and each day is different. I guess if I had to describe it in a short summary: Your worst nightmare of groundhog day. There is no end. It has gotten easier over time though, but still the pain is very fierce.

• Friendly Friendly x 2