Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kiffen revenge move. Gunning for Saban's staff.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bryan85, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Bryan85

Bryan85 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 27, 2007
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah...jump off Saban's staff to join Kiffen who will probably be gone in three years. That's a good career move.

• Agree x 8
    • Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yeah, I'm not sure I see what would draw anybody to go to Ole Miss from Bama to work with Kiffen over Saban.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

I think it would be a good move for an asst. I don't think saban is going to be coaching bama for three more years. He looks tired and I think he doesn't have anything more to prove.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Kiffin loves to stir it up! :eek::p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    This is going to get fun. Kiffen has no ethics, and Saban just finished talking about "poaching" by assistants. Besides his arrogance, Kiffen's flaw is he thinks he's smarter than what he really is. Saban will get Kiffen when he least suspects it. Nick is Don Corleone and Kiffen is Tatagglia, a pimp. I can almost hear Nick now: " Leave the gun. Grab the Dreamland ribs."

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Ah the best reason to hire someone, spite.

I get wanting Cochran, but offering an on field position, what position would he even know how to coach?

8. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I can't blame Kiffin for trying.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Not sure that ethics is in play though. EVERY new coach takes guys from other staffs. It is just the way it works.
    Saban took Kirby from UGA when he was the Dolphin's coach.

Saban too Muschamp from Valdosta State.

It's just the way it works.

Saban just thinks he is the only ethical one.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, and I imagine Saban revenge will be drubbing ole miss and Kiffin by 50 every year to expedite his firing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I think Saban's complaint is when someone on his staff is promoted to HC and then tries to pilfer Saban's staff. I can see his point there, but if the pilfering results in a promotion, all bets are off.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Only with a contract that leaves you much better than staying. If I knew in three years I would have an additional $600k or more invested. Thant would give me the chance to see if I could translate some of the Bama process was into a different program. I could assume some responsibility and grow perhaps. I would draft and then mail a letter to myself- now post marked- to be opened by my next boss telling exactly why I left Alabama for that particular job. Haha.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Assistants from one school may not translate into success elsewhere (obviously)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    "it will be funny"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. here-we-go-gators

here-we-go-gators Sophomore

Dec 6, 2019
    He would like one more national championship to beat the Bear outright. Easier said than done.

It will get harder and harder for Saban in recruiting. With other schools getting closer in player facilities it will be harder for him to out talent people. UF's combo of closer location to top South Florida talent and UF's upcoming $85 million football training facilties and it will get harder for Saban to get top Florida talent which has been his ace in the hole.

Plus he now has to recruit against strengthened LSU,Clemson and Georgia in recruit areas he used to get the best players from.

Saban's division has Texas A&M ,which has more money than Bama, and a stronger LSU to deal with now.

Saban is like Spurrier when he increased expectations. Will get frustrating for Saban.

Not making the playoff this year was not a good sign for Saban.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    Me either. If he causes Saban any grief I am ok with it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    Kiffen has a history with Shrimp Boat Captain too.

19. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Kiffin isn’t particular about who he pisses off. He got under Urban’s skin while at UT but then brought his team to Gainesville and coached to lose only by a couple scores instead of coaching to win. He then acted as if he had won.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    The thing with Cochran is he could decide on a change of scenery -- and more money and an upgraded title doesn't hurt -- and it doesn't matter if Kiffen gets fired in 3 years. Lots of teams would be lining up to hire Cochran if it didn't work out.

The strength coach position isn't like a d-coordinator or o-coordinator position where guys can easily fall out of favor as preferred offensive or defensive schemes change over time and/or depending on how they perform at a particular job. Once someone has established themselves as well as Cochran and some of the other well known, successful strength coaches they aren't likely to fall out of favor.

I read a linked article which listed the strength coaches making over $500k and was surprised to see Iowa has the highest paid strength coach. Iowa hasn't made a whole lot of noise in the upper echelons of college football lately. I wasn't surprised, however, to see Mickey Mariotti and Rob Glass on that list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1