Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kidney stones and parathyroid

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by kurt_borglum, Feb 7, 2020.

1. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Just had a parathyroid removed. I didn't know I had any until 6 weeks ago. Parathyroids regulate calcium in the blood. My doc couldn't believe with my kidney stone history nobody checked that before. (I've had about 10 over the last 35 years).

So if you get kidney stones, have your doc check your blood calcium level. Besides leaching calcium from your bones, high blood calcium can kill you over the long term by thickening your blood.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    How are you feeling? Was it outpatient surgery? Get better soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. llm85

llm85 NBN Bracket Master

Sep 1, 2011
    Naples
    I've had two bouts. Both times the stones were calcium-oxalate. Is that what you had???

4. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    10,....had stone issues in each kidney on consecutive nights, blocked both bladders, stents in both, 4 days in hospital,...they are nasty little suckers,....10 doesn't even sound fun! Had to give up sweet tea :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm checking w my urologist, because I've had frequent stones for years now. Only two were "bad," one bad enough that we went to emergency. Never hurts passing them; only when they are releasing from the kidney.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    It was full anesthesia and a day in the hospital. Now I have a 4 inch scar across my throat (if I ever have grand kids, I'll make up a story how I escaped with my head intact). Only a 15 minute surgery though. I left the hospital without restrictions the next day. My voice is still strained (I'm an amateur singer) and my neck muscles are sore, but otherwise back in the saddle.

It is the calcium-oxalate stones that I have had. I grew up drinking almost nothing but cranberry juice and it turns out that stuff gives you kidney stones. A guy told me only today that all berries are also bad for kidney stones.

I was hospitalized 3 or 4 times for them. The rest just hurt like hell...

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Gator Nation is behind you. That's interesting, because I was told that cranberry juice was good for you. I guess I was told wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. :)

8. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Cranberry juice is supposed to be really good for you based on this interweb article. It does interact with some drugs in a bad way. It may be that kurt was taking in much more than was good. Remember the 1960s Canadian study that discovered that rats forced to drink 800 cans of diet drink a day would occasionally get bladder cancer. Nota bene: the statistics in this almost highly considered reply, like 98.889% of all statistics on the interweb were probably total bovine scatology.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Cranberry juice good to fight bladder infections and UTI, but my PP MD said to lay off for kidney stones.

10. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I know this is hard to understand but I've passed kidney stones twice that I know of and had no pain. The only way I knew I was passing stones is I was sick to my stomach and peeing blood, when I went to the ER it turned out to be stones. Same when my appendix ruptured, no pain just high fever, sick to my stomach and high blood count. Same with my gall bladder. The doctors can't believe it I don't feel abdominal pain.....my theory is my brain interprets the pain signals as nausea because in all 3 cases I was throwing up badly but no pain at all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fwbgator

fwbgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I had the same issue, was passing kidney stones left and right, and they began monitoring my blood calcium level....Ended up they removed my parathyroid also.... I had a tumor on it, making very high levels of calcium in my system...
    Went almost 10 years without having another stone, now they are back again... Even gave birth to twins about a half a year ago..... Not a pleasant experience at all...

12. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Sounds like another Parathyroid needs to come out fwbgator...

13. fwbgator

fwbgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Kurt_borglum....
    They've been testing my parathyroid for a while, well since the stones came back, but all signs are pointing to that as good..... They haven't figured out the source for the stones this time, well at least not yet....

14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you on any special nutrients/diet or vitamin regimen?