Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Khadim Sy - JUCO

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by cincinnatigator, Jan 12, 2019.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Currently the #4 ranked JUCO player and uncommitted. Plays at Daytona State. We haven't offered the kid even though he seems to be dominating the JUCO level and has numerous offers including Ole Miss, LSU, Auburn, Texas Tech. We can't just let qualified bigs who live 2 hours away go without at least offering.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    If he is at least 6’8” and can score, we sure could use him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Maybe White has a different player in mind.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    My choice would be 6-9 SF Precious Achiuwa from Montverde Academy. Then we could compete with anyone next year.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    6'9, 190 is not exactly what we need.

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Apparently he used to play for Virginia Tech, and transferred from them not once, but TWICE. Not sure what's up with that, maybe there is something going on there that White doesn't like? Would be pretty funny to keep our VT pipeline going in a way, and his highlights from his time at VT look pretty good. His stats aren't much to go on.

7. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Academically qualified? There’s a reason UF athletics in most sports—FB, BB—have had relatively few juco transfers. NCAA, Florida and UF requirements make it challenging

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    LOLWUT. Achiuwa is a physical freak who plays way above the rim and a 5 star one and done. He's not a C, but our C prospect is Omar Payne. Achiuwa is an NBA 3. If we are just talking about making next year's team the best it could be, a recruit like this is absolutely "what we need". He'd probably start over Keith Stone at the 4 in the next game if you could get him on campus tomorrow.

Problem is, I don't think I've seen anywhere that we are even involved with him. So might have just been wishful thinking on that poster who saw that he is from FL, He's isn't actually "from" FL. He just came down to FL to play at Montverde for 1 year.

Now once we get outside the realm of "one and done physical freaks", I agree we probably want a player that is more like 225-240. A true PF prospect or even another C possibility like Payne. But I think at this point we just want a player that can rebound and finish. Payne has the attributes to be an elite rebounder once he gets in a weight program, so maybe he will lock that down. But we are so weak there, that's where we have to go with the next scholly IMO. Whether that is a JUCO, or a grad transfer, or we can find a late recruit I have no idea.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And what did Mike White say when you told him about your discovery of Khadim?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I guess we should all just sit back and be ok with Keith Stone being our 5 next season.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Precious Achiuwa is #11 in espn top 100.
    Dude is a beast from the Bronx, playing his Sr season at Monteverde.
    He has offers from Kansas, Syracuse, Ohia St, UVA, et al, but not from UF,

12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I don’t care if he is a little light in weight as long as he has some offense. Look at Anthony Davis when he was in college, Kevin Garnett, Tayshaun Prince, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You are correct about the wishful thinking and all the rest in your post. Precious is a top flight talent freak and only here in Florida for the year. I've talked about him in other threads as well. The problem, since we lost Chase, there are very few big men in Florida left for this year and even fewer for next year. 2020 is a down year in Florida for bigs, other than Scottie Barnes and he is a Point Forward. That's why I mentioned Precious because even though we have not pursued him he's the best out there that's in Florida with height. My good friend "scout" buddy told me that's who we should try for since he is not close to making a decision. Plus we have players from Montverde. Otherwise we probably look to the transfer market.

14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I think 2020 we need to start aggressively recruiting PJ Hall. He's climbing up the rankings and I think has a chance to be a really good big man by the time he's matured. But we'll probably not recruit him as hard and he'll go elsewhere while we sign some kid who has good dunk highlights.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    He has made it pretty clear he wants to head back up north for college ball, not sure why we would waste our time

16. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Good point. But who wants to go up north for winters when they can play basketball for UF in the glorious Florida weather? Sounds like we need to show this young man the error of his thinking, lol

17. hatter18

hatter18 Sophomore

Dec 9, 2018
    We are. Duke and UNC will be tough to beat here if either go all in for Hall

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Would be a big success if we can get him, Corey Walker, and Julian Strawther. I've pretty much given up on Scottie Barnes.

19. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re post obviously is sarcastic. Reality, from what I have seen, however, is that this kid is as good or better than Achiuwa right now and likely ends up in the NBA down the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What did he do? Only send bid forms to northern schools?