Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Keys to the game - TN

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLuke, Nov 28, 2020.

1. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    This is a big game and we can clinch the East with a win. Looks like the game time weather will be in the 20’s or 40’s depending on the time. Watching the O the last few weeks it looks like teams are rushing 3 and playing a lot of zone. We haven’t seen the consistency the last 2 games that we saw in the first 6 games.

My keys to the game:
    Can’t turn the ball over like we have the last two weeks. Complete momentum killers and takes drives away from the O. Need to take care of the football.

Give Damian Pierce the bulk of the carries and let him loose.

Need to get a big lead early in the game. Our D seems to play best when we force a team 1 dimensional.

Stop the run.

Big game for sure. Been a while since we had a shot to win a game to clinch the East without having to rely on other teams to lose.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Rkb75

Rkb75 Senior

Sep 19, 2015
    Tn will adopt the Ky strategy. Run the ball, eat the clock and limit Gator possessions. They clearly have a better passing attack than Ky, but their focus will be on the ground. Cold weather and possible snow/rain will assist that plan.

For our part, we have to stop the run. If they get a few big plays, then so be it. Otherwise, we can’t let them bleed 5-7 min off the clock every time they get the ball.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Definitely more worried about this one than LSU. LSU's offense looked anemic against aTm last night.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    UT QB is just not very good, I expect us to have at least 2 interceptions.

• Like Like x 3
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Great points, I’d add:

load the box. Ut will try to run and we’ve gotta stop the run to get our d off the field.

Braun and White need to play. We are much better with these guys playing. Too late in year to overhaul it all but love to see Gouriage slide in for DeLance, Braun for Reese and White to Gouriage’s spot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. ncgator83

ncgator83 Sophomore

Dec 2, 2009
    Gators need to be careful with this one; UT with two weeks to prepare and a big offensive line. If the defense that played in 2nd half shows up, should be a good day. Dominated line of scrimmage, took the run away, and pressured QB to make bad throws. I do not see UT hurting us passing the ball, but it would be great to see more of the younger kids get minutes in secondary earlier. Stiner was exposed again in 1H, but tightened up in 2H. Expect Mullen to establish the ground game and feel we need to make changes in O-Line. Watching replay just shocked at how bad Delance played with Reese close behind. Nothing personal, I know they are playing their hearts out but they are holding this offense back. The RT position has become a turnstile. I could not find a single play where 56 held his block. Gouriage and Braun looking much stronger and more effective. Like what I see from Ethan White as well. I cannot understand why our coaches who I believe are doing a great job, do not see this? Hope Trask spreads the ball around, gets Grimes a few looks, we cause at least 2 turnovers while protecting the ball, and Pearce has a breakout game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It is that every-other-year time to celebrate a tasty smack snack.

"We really want to go in somebody else's house and take their cheese and all of that. Make a sandwich in their kitchen."
    - Tony Joiner in 2006 before 21-20 win in Knoxville

• Like Like x 2
  8. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    I don't think the Gators will lose the game but a few things concern me:

1) They got a bye
    2) We don't know who the QB will be. Guarantano or the freshman? If the freshman, not a lot of film on him.
    3) Weather -- you never like to see a FL team playing a game below freezing. Though, being fair, they're not used to December home games either. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Run the bear formation, keep disciplined in run gaps and rushing the QB, probably play more zone than man coverage, and don't turn the ball over on offense. And stay warm.

After that this one is about the same as the last two. I think the Kentucky game was a great way to get prepared for Tennessee.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Yes, 100% agree we cannot turn the ball over.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. trump4life

trump4life Junior

Oct 7, 2020
    Chizic said that we played championship defense in the second half last night holding UK to 46 total yards of offense in the entire half. And that included playing a lot of backups. Have to keep up the intensity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jordan4vols

jordan4vols Junior

Feb 4, 2015
    Keys to the game:

Show up. The end

FYI most likely freshman Harrison Bailey will start.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Gotta bring back the jet sweep. I think depending on how bad the conditions are, this is the perfect game to have a heavy dose of EJ in it. Maybe bring a TE/HB shovel pass. Tenn would not be expecting it. Use the run to control the game and open up the pass

• Like Like x 2
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Got to win this ! Nothing else is acceptable!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Ain’t buying in to that bs !

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

I remember the last time we played UT late in the season . Can’t let down ! This is the game of the season!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Yeah, but ducks and trucks.

18. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We should beware. Cut out their heart early, lest they gain confidence, and pose a threat. If we punch them in the nose early, theyll spit out the bit.

The only two times we ever played UT this late in the season (that I know of), we were playing for a shot at the national championship. In 1928, we played them, and if Florida won, we would have represented the east in the Rose Bowl. The night before, the locals ran the sprinklers all night, turning the field into a quagmire. This slowed the nation's fastest backfield, and highest scoring team just enough that the Vols won 13-12. The Gators fell to 8-1, and Ga. Tech went to the Rose Bowl. In 2001, we were set to roll over hapless LSU for a second time that season in the SECCG. All we had to do was beat Tennessee, and dispatch LSU to play Miami in the national championship game. Most of us remember what happened.

I think well win comfortably, but that's what I thought in 2001.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Pitts is from Philly - hopefully he thrives in the "balmy" Knoxville weather.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Limit the damage in first half and let Tennessee fold in the 2nd half like they always do.

• Agree Agree x 2