Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Keyontae Update - may not be out for the season?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jeffphillips21, Jan 13, 2021.

1. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Even if cleared I wonder how long it would take for him to get back into playing shape.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    At his age, not long at all.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think you're reading too much in the comments made in the article. He wont play this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Perhaps, but also perhaps the door is still open. No one knows. It all depends on the level of risk to him. It would be nice to get some kind of update, either way

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Mayo Clinic says that, in mild cases of myocarditis, persons should avoid competitive sports for at least 3 to 6 months. Keyontae’s case of myocarditis might be more than mild.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would assume KJ would be granted an additional year by the ncaa if he wanted to come back? Might be a good idea as the nba wouldn’t take a chance on a draft pick with him until they see he can resume his playing career and still be effective.

8. umcpgator

umcpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maryland
    I can't imagine what would happen to the program if any medically related event happened if he plays. It would end recruiting when other schools can say you don't care about the players and might even trigger coaching changes and lawsuits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. illinoisgatorsfan

illinoisgatorsfan Junior

Nov 4, 2017
    This year doesn’t count against anyone’s eligibility due to the Covid-19 uncertainty, right?

10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Why would he come back to play basketball in college for a program that right now is clearly not heading in the right direction under Mike White? Last year was a debacle. We started the season top ten, and imploded with more McDonald All Americans or players close thereto than 95% of the teams in Division 1 basketball. This year we lost our star player, but are incapable of using our bench There are too many DNPs every night that we play. Why recruit or take up scholarships with transfers if they are not even going to play? What does that say about our staff's judgment? It's not like our starting team has been so outstanding there is no room for substitution.

No if KJ does play again he will be wiser to play where he can earn a living doing so.

• Dislike x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    This season doesn’t count against anyone’s remaining years of eligibility.

12. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When was he diagnosed with myocarditis? I don’t remember reading this.

13. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    If he can come back next year without any complications, and we pick up another solid transfer, our starting lineup could compete against anyone the way Duruji has performed in his absence. If anyone prominent leaves it’d be Scottie imo. Which I think would be good for both parties as his play has been too inconsistent and he really gives you nothing in terms of offense. But that’s another topic. If your starting lineup is PG transfer, SG Mann, SF Keyontae PF Duruji C Castleton with hopefully Samson developing and Locke, Payne, Appleby off the bench. Could be sweet 16 if not better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I don't expect Tre to return next season

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What do you expect him to do, go to the NBA? He has the talent but do you think they are going to take a chance on him without proving he can play without having an issue? IMO, he has to come back next season unless he is done playing forever. He has to prove he is healthy enough to play.

16. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I thought this thread was about Keyontae and not about CMW? Aren't there other threads to bash CMW?
    I'm as big of a Gator fan as anyone, but thinking about KJ returning this year makes me shudder.

IT seems like too big of a risk. But I'm definitely no doctor.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    The comment was about Tre returning, not KJ. I would agree that Tre is gone after this season but hope I'm wrong.

18. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

I've seen others make this same comment but I just don't see it this way. If I'm an NBA team, wouldn't I care FAR more about in-depth medical testing/imaging than I would seeing if it could make it through a season. Lets say he made it through a season, would it really guarantee that future seasons would be without issue? Would certainly hope so but I'd have to imagine testing being what NBA teams will care more about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Getting back to the original question: That USA Today column strikes me as Seth Davis speculating rather than reporting and making too much out of what Mike White wouldn't say. The idea of Keyontae returning this year is too unreasonable for me to believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2