Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Keyontae playing hoops

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, Mar 30, 2021.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I concur.
    This is one Johnson that can't be stopped.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Glad someone got the reference! All of us are Frank Abagnale, when it comes to talking health of KJ.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Exciting news for sure, if I had any input on a future story it would read like this:

A movie, with the part of his UF playing career ending thusly:

KJ shocked the SEC, being named SEC POTY, named SEC tournament MVP, propelling UF to a #2 seed in the Southern Bracket

This works.....yes?

• Like Like x 2
  5. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Serious cyclists wear heart rate monitors all the time to make sure they aren't over training or under training. If KJ doesn't have a structural issue or a diagnosis bow electrophysiological issue, hell be hooked up with a chest strap with blue tooth and the medical people will watch whats happening in real time. If all that is good, he'll be fine to play

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Florida's Johnson awaits medical clearance, hopes to play

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) Florida's Keyontae Johnson is ''patiently waiting'' on medical clearance while hoping to play next season.

Johnson, a junior forward who collapsed on the court in December and spent 10 days in hospitals, added Wednesday that he has decided not to enter the NBA draft.

''I am progressing & steadily making progress daily in my health,'' Johnson said in a post he shared via social media. ''I am patiently waiting on medical clearance. ... I plan to keep working to prepare for the upcoming season. My story continues to be written & driven by God.''

Florida's Johnson awaits medical clearance, hopes to play

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Well... I guess that puts to rest any fanbase speculation about what KJ wants to do.

@tmape01

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    He was considered the Player of the year in the SEC because of what he did under pressure in the SEC tournament. Dbl digits points and rebounds and outplaying anybody teams put on him. Anybody watching the tournament couldn’t deny his talent and physicality. I know in my heart, he wants to play. Anybody who has played organized sports and excels knows it is hard work and sacrifice. He has that and the drive to continue. I am hoping like all Gators, that he comes back and has a tremendous year. He is following all the protocols to get back and play. If it happens, I want to see him play live again just like the SEC tournament in Nashville his first two years. I will always cherish those moments as a Gator fan because KJ is one of the top all time basketball greats.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    This is a smart decision for both his health and career. He will be medically monitored at UF better than almost anywhere else. And if he's able to play, he can show all that he is still a very good player. Smart choice for both concerns.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well, I really want to see some UF hoops NOW!!!! lol

11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I'm not sure the two situations are comparable. Professional cyclists are monitored because their team managers know, from literally tens of thousands of miles of training each season, how far they can push themselves. They have identified when a rider is pushing past their limit and will crack in a race. They also have power meters on their bikes that monitor the wattage they are putting out and know from training how much wattage a rider can produce before they blow themselves up. They constantly monitor this data during a race and communicate with the rider via headsets to go up tempo or down tempo.

I'm not a doctor, but would imagine that an event like KJ had is sudden and acute, and heart rate monitors would not give you enough warning in advance, to be useful. But it is an interesting idea, that might bear exploring. Beyond my expertise, for sure.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I said from the beginning that he would have to return if allowed to play again because no pro team is gonna take a chance on him unless he can show that he can go a full season without an incident like he had before. NBA learned their lesson with Reggie Lewis.

13. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Does MW get any credit on this board for KJ’s improvement as a player in his career thus far? Preseason POY until his heart issue. We always hear how MW can’t develop players. Not holding my breath.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Like Like x 5
  14. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    For me, I would of liked to see KJ at small forward and CMW recruit an power forward with size. It didn’t work out. Too much small ball for my taste. Of course, if kJ plays in the pros, he will be a small forward. But, CMW helped him with his three point shooting, which in his sophomore year, he was starting to hit some on a timely basis. The strength and conditioning was helpful also, as he got ripped. He came to us with the ability to drive inside and finish. CMW has helped mentor him as a mature adult and it shows. So yes, he did develop KJ with his all round game. Maybe, hopefully, we could possibly see, the new PF, Casselton at center and KJ at small forward. I don’t know if coach would try this lineup, but it could give opposing teams a tough team to defend. CMW made changes for Tre and Scottie futures. If KJ comes back, maybe he could allow this lineup change and make the Gators a contender! This is my thoughts. Hope this answers your CMW developing some players question.

• Like Like x 3
  15. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Well, I didn't see KJ mention "hoping to play" in his quotes.

...I kid, I kid. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    @gottapanda you hit me with the disagree button, but we already have proof that KJ wants to play. Not sure what there is to disagree about.

17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I used to bicycle race. My peak training was way harder than anything I ever experienced in a race. I would sometimes go to the "everything looks red" state with a metallic taste in my mouth, but I would never do that in a race because it would be a danger to anyone near me. You need your wits about you in a race. I did it for "head room", like having a stereo amp that you don't have to push to its power limits and thereby avoid distortion.

And I would make sure I was within a few miles of home after doing that because it was always a slow ride back after those sessions.

And then a rest day.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Did your amp go to 11?

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I would not be honest if I don't admit I am concerned for KJ's future but it is his right and his decision. Hey he's great at basketball, I totally understand his wanting to re-engage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I think he's a smart young man and is listening to the doctors and his family. But it sounds like he's ramping up the physical activity and must be feeling pretty good. I hope he can play again but I'll be nervous every time he steps onto the floor.

• Agree Agree x 2