Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Keyontae Johnson transferring out

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 30, 2022.

1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Why are you asking me if I've seen his records or talked to his doctors? I'm not the one diagnosing him from a distance. I see a lot of other people who are declaring what happened with no proof. Maybe you should ask them. All I'm saying is that we don't know what happened and if the doctors say he can play, then he should play... preferably for UF.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Holmes: We have the mystery of the dog barking in the night.
    Watson: But the dog didn’t bark in the night
    Holmes: Precisely

Johnson wasn’t cleared to play for UF. At the end of the day, when the rubber meets the road, and the final score is tallied something has led to that decision. Legally UF can’t make the reason public. Only Mr. Johnson can. How much longer are you going to beat this poor, dead horse?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I’m guessing this was directed at me, but didn’t revive this thread. Someone quoted me today and I responded. You should ask them this question.

4. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

There is a big difference between getting rescued from a pool because you didn't know how to swim or were fatigued, than suffering from some potentially congenital issue. We have seen this happen on the big stage too many times to ignore the potential implications.

You are absolutely right. It is his life, and it is a risk. Why do we risk things in this world? We do so primarily for financial gain. You have a 22-year-old young man who can walk away with 5 million in his pocket and coach somewhere for 40 years and earn another 15 million in the process. Who'd risk that reality by going back into something that has exposed a potential flaw in his genetic composition?

If it were just about playing basketball, why even go the route that leads to fame and fortune? There are plenty of basketball legends that never made it to the NBA. My cousin is one of them. Tony Greer. He was the MVP of the Rucker Tournament and scored 30 points against Earl Monroe and shut him down in the finals of the tournament. He was my mother's nephew. He never went pro even though he completely outplayed Earl the Pearl.

upload_2022-8-17_9-30-55.png

1966 Rucker's Tournament.

5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I would respond, but I'm sure someone will say, "Why don't you just give it a rest, Murphree?" even though other posters keep quoting me days/weeks later to revive the thread. ;)

6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Down to wku, Nebraska, memphis and k-state.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That list tells me there are likely a bunch of other schools that wouldn’t sign him off either.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Although, I am getting off topic, even though I had the good fortune of playing against several future NBA players, the best guard I ever played against was in a scrimmage that Binghamton University had against Broome Tech junior college. The kid’s name was Frank “Shake n’ Bake” Streety. He was a Rucker Park legend. I still remember shouting out to teammates during that scrimmage: Will somebody help me get the damn ball up court?

For those of you who love basketball, I am attaching two related and very interesting articles.

Black History Month at SUNY Broome: Frank Streety

Elite 24: Rucker Park legends

• Like Like x 2
  9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    i think you are correct. Most notably absent are Rider, Jacksonville and Georgia. Each of those coaches had a wonderful relationship with Key.
    This is, of course, Key’s decision - and I respect his path. But I also understand the concern of others- coaches, programs and fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I think everyone understands he can try live the life he wants but the UF, the UAA and the coaches have are his employers, so to speak. They obviously consider that he is part of a team and that another incident not only would affect him badly but his teammates and all involved as well. So, the issue isn't just his to decide and it's not all about his wants and desires. What ever happens, however, I wish him the best in his future endevors, what ever it is or where it takes him.

• Like Like x 2