Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Keyontae Johnson transferring out

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Score one for Tim!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    He’s medically cleared to play, yet he won’t be doing it at UF. Great.

I don’t put that on KJ, though. I feel as though if he had the choice he would have stayed at UF and played.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. smikemac

smikemac VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Texas Tech. Maybe USC.

4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    This whole thing is a joke. I will never understand UF for this or the fans who kept saying he should never play. Clearly, his heart is safe to play basketball with if he’s transferring. Old dudes have straight up run marathons heart attacks. Some people die from heart attacks in their sleep. You can’t always control these things.

And… it still hasn’t been proven he had a heart attack. Nothing but conjecture and hearsay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Lot of liability or risk to the college program that lets him play given UFs position. Giving up the $5 million insurance policy by playing again is a tough call. Think he should go into coaching instead

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    MH - I think you know that UFs legal department advised the AD and the Pres that if something happened to KJ that it would cost a dump truck in cash not to mention the media hell storm and that it
    was not an acceptable risk.

Hey I have no memo but what else would it be?

7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    We have no conclusive evidence about what actually happened. We saw him lose consciousness, hit his head, then get treatment and carted off. A lot of speculation here. I would need to know what actually happened before saying him playing again is too risky for him or UF.

8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    UF is not liable for someone getting injured or dying unless they did something wrong. Also, I’m not going to play the what else could it be game. We don’t know, so we should not assume. Fact is he is playing again so he is cleared medically.

9. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Agree. "We" do not have conclusive evidence. But maybe UF does?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I don’t see the usefulness in that line of thinking. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. I’m not going to speculate. Without any further information from him or the school, what we definitively saw on tape was loss of consciousness and head contact with a hard surface. Any further diagnosis is outsider speculation. I’m not saying he didn’t have a heart attack, I’m just saying we don’t know and shouldn’t assume. He’s been cleared to play, so whatever happened, he has desire and ability to continue playing.

We don’t know if KJ or any other athlete will die during a game. We do know the likelihood is remote at best. We do know that a heart can be completely checked out for any and all ailments. Doctors can see if you have a problem. If he’s cleared to play, he is most-likely good to go.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    What does UF know is the question. Of course they know what happened. Do they know it was a heart attack? Brain injury? Something else? I mean it’s cool for @core545 to rate me dislike or @CASontag to rate me optimistic, but what is there to dislike or say is optimistic about stating the facts? Whatever UF and KJ know has not been shared with us. Why do you feel as though we should assume it’s a heart condition? You have no basis, even if you turn out to be correct.

13. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The logical assumption is a heart condition.

14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I am ok with that as long as it’s caveats with assumption. My issue is when people state it as fact.

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I’m not sure if you are asking me these questions, but if so….

I don’t think I’ve ever said I “feel as if we should assume….”.
    I do, however, recognize this as a message board… which is a platform for discussion and speculation. In this case, folks have a fair amount of information to have well-founded speculation.
    Though I have basis … I do not think I have offered comment on Keyontae’s specific diagnosis.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    It wasn’t aimed at you, brother. I was asking generally.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll reserve non-speculative judgment until I see him actually play at the college level again. If he's cleared, what exactly are teams waiting for to pick him up? Is there a significant difference between medically cleared and legally cleared?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  18. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Gotcha.

For the record… I’m really torn on the whole thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Me too. I wish KJ all the best but I really, really wish he was here for this season. He would have been the primary scorer and a real difference maker. Plus, I think he would have gelled with this team, play style and personality-wise. With Golden too.

Instead, it'll be fun to see who steps up in his absence. I'm sure he'll still root for us. We'll root for him too

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  20. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Only to add because I don't have anything else to do right now, what I see is (potentially) KJ magically finding a lottery ticket on the ground and when he checked the numbers, he found out it is worth $5M.

And then he has decided to throw it in the trash because he couldn't be bothered to go to the lottery office to collect because he has a pickup basketball game scheduled. Passion is fine, as long as it does not get in the way of opportunities, silver lining to a dark cloud or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1