Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Keyontae Johnson transferring out

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 30, 2022.

1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    With respect to assistant coaches not being able to quit, I have no idea what you are talking about or why you are assigning that statement to me.

When you are injured, it’s common practice that you assist the coach and team in other ways just so that you can participate. What you are suggesting is bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

You stated that Keyontae could quit when he wanted to as if to distinguish his having that option with contracted assistant coaches who got paid substantially more than he did. My point was that the mere fact that they were under contract does not prohibit them from quitting. I am sure if Keyontae had left the team, they would have taken his scholarship away, much like they would have forfeited a coach's remaining salary if he breached his contract.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sure, presumably because we are outside the circle. Not being privy to complete information on this note absolutely makes it seem ambiguous. But I have little doubt that the message KJ received was crystal clear. I don't recall any point along the way where KJ suggested he was getting mixed signals from the school.

We have different opinions on this note. But still opinions, nonetheless. To my knowledge, he was never cleared by UF to return to the court. I don't know how much more definitive you can get than that. In a world of 1's and 0's, that's a big fat 0.

Based on the descriptions presented. Absolutely.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    You are all over the place and inserting red herrings.

I said, "If at any time, he said I don’t want to do this anymore, they would have said fine." That was with respect to any player/coaching duties he started performing. I never said anything about leaving the team. I also don't see the relevance of comparing whether he could leave to other assistant coaches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    It sounds like KJ has been cleared to play, and I don't know at what time that happened. If he plays wherever he goes, I think this voids his insurance policy. I am just hearing this from my source that is a family member to KJ's roommate, Appleby.

6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I could see this happening...if White were still our coach. You know, snake bitten with injured players.

7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He gets to play about 10 games before the policy voids. It’s a trial run.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Fainted and hit his head? Where were you the rest of that week? There was a vigil outside of ICU for days. Close friends were grieving. Good thing you were never a youth coach of some kind when something like that happened. You'd have run out on the court with smelling salts.

When a healthy, 19-year-old elite athlete's heart stops during strenuous activity, is resuscitated, Life-Flighted from Tallahassee to Shands and remains comatose for days (speculative because of HIPAA, but reported by teammates) something is seriously wrong with a strong suspicion of a recent inflammation or an undiagnosed congenital defect. I don't know what they eventually concluded but it had nothing to do with a bump on the head.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I think you are discounting the danger and severity of brain trauma that can happen if you faint and hit your head. Why are you minimizing it as if it’s not significant? You can be put in a medically induced coma for many reasons other than heart-related conditions. I swear… it’s like when people want to win an argument all logic goes out the window.

We have no confirmed reports of him being resuscitated. We only have conjecture, contradictory eyewitness accounts, or from sources that remain confidential.

10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The fact that he fainted and passed out and was on a ventilator. What do you think made him faint?

11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Surely, you are not suggesting that when a person faints and/or gets placed on a ventilator that the assumption should be a heart condition.

• Like Like x 1
  12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The score?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    The Gators were only up a few points.

14. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    A young vibrant athlete. Come on.

15. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    Dude stop. Any medical professional who looks at that video knows it was a primary cardiac event.
    If it were just a secondary Neuro trauma the staff would have cleared him as soon as he recovered.
    And anyone who clears him IMNSHO is gambling with their license.
    (Before you ask, I treat both cardiac arrest and Neuro trauma on a daily basis and I know the difference)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I respect your opinion as a medical professional, but you are mixing cause and effect ain your diagnosis. It seems that you are saying that because you believe that the cause was a heart condition, that he could not have suffered brain trauma from the resulting fall. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you.

Regardless, I don’t think it’s quite so cut and dry as to the cause of the fall. I agree that it could be heart related, but I disagree that it is the only possibility, or that it is even obvious.

What we see on tape is KJ losing consciousness then hitting his head on the floor. We still don’t know what caused it to happen. Some of you guess that it’s a heart condition and that is fine, but I don’t see why many of you are so angry with me for saying we don’t know that for sure.

17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    You have not made a great or even good case for why we should make those assumptions.

18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    there was no report of brain trauma. He probably had a concussion but concussion protocols take care of themselves when you’re in a coma.

19. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    There was no report of anything whether brain, heart, or other. All I said was that the only thing we know for sure is that he lost consciousness and hit his head on the floor. I presented brain injury as a potential effect, because many were acting as if the only possibility for hospitalization was due to a heart condition.

Also, it was a medically induced coma, which should be specified when you say he was in a coma.

20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    What a strange hill to die on

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1