Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Keyontae Johnson

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Jan 30, 2019.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Gets better every game. Man is he going to be a player for us. I'm excited for what the next few years hold.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Elevated his game! Has seized the opportunity.
    Confidence is growing!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I love this kid! The inbound dunk was absurd.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Totally agree. I am so glad White listened to me about putting him in the starting lineup.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative x 1
  5. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    He listened to all of us here on NBN!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    He's been a HUGE surprise this year. I didn't have much expectations for him this year at all, thought he'd be fighting for time off the bench but man he's been a beast, maybe his best game of the season today.

All our freshmen are the real deal and getting a ton of experience. Add next year's class and (hope hope) an impactful grad transfer big and we could have a serious contender next year. As for now I'm still holding out hope we make the tourney. BPI at #26 BEFORE this win.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I'm surprised you're not getting an asst coach's salary

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

Me too. I keep checking the mail every day and I'm sure it's just a slight oversight on their part which will be rectified soon. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I'm sure retroactive back-pay is on its way. Like a federal employee's.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Everyone knew he was a freakshow athlete, but he's a very savvy player too. Obviously needs to refine his dribble and shot, but realistically if he had those qualities he'd be a 5* 1 and done. He's doing great playing small ball 4 right now. Did most of his damage just playing smart and challenging around the rim. The best thing about him is he basically only took very high quality shots, when he was presented with an open look for 3 he knocked down 1/2, but everything else I remember was him attacking and getting a high quality shot near the rim.

He's going to be great. Assuming we ever get some real depth at the 4 and 5, he'd be solid at the 3 which would probably be a more "natural" position. But as he showed tonight, he can do some real damage in a small lineup too. I actually like the idea if we had a rock solid C in the middle, that Johnson can do some ridiculous things as a small 4 against guys that are maybe too slow to stay with him. But unfortunately we are sort of small at the 5 too, so that makes it a bit tougher on us in most matchups. We don't really have great options for going "big" for extended minutes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Coach White's inbound plays are 406% better than Billy D's.
    KJ will be a great player for us moving forward!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The announcers focused on Johnson's dunk, but totally missed on the play itself starting with Nembhard darting through the lane before the pass to Johnson

• Like Like x 1
  13. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    What was the nature of Johnson's injury that knocked him out of the game for a few minutes? He looked to be stretching his hamstrings constantly after returning before fouling out.

14. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    I think he rolled his ankle on the inbound dunk. If you rewatch the highlight it looks like his ankle rolls and he falls to keep the weight off it. A few plays later he came out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    February is the month you traditionally see freshmen start to really understand the college game, and this gives me hope that we might still make the NCAAT. All three of ours have done well for true freshmen and still have lots of room for improvement. Keyontae is just scratching the surface of what he's capable of. All three, really.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've think he hurt it at the other end in the next play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Hard to pick the MVG last night but IMO he was in the running. One of the best games from a big man in a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    What's really nice is 3 of our 5 best players are true freshman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 1bobcat

1bobcat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Too bad he isn't really a big since he is 6'5". Really wish he had another 4-5" on him. More of a small forward or a big guard. Reminds me of Stacy Poole, Sr a bit.

Great game last night from him and other FR last night though. Was great to see. Hopefully they can build from it.

20. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    After recent games, I am really excited about the future with this kid on the floor for the Gators. He brings a lot of physical toughness, as well as the mental toughness and competitiveness that all three freshmen show. Next season, I could see him adding a swagger that would really make him feared in the SEC.

• Like Like x 1