Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kentucky playing in Bahamas

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by cincinnatigator, Aug 14, 2018.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    So I’m watching youtube and notice Kentucky is playing some games in the Bahamas because they’re Kentucky and it was a packed gym of course. They look like the best team right now though honestly. Reid Travis is a bull down low and Tyler Herro is already special as I feared.

Which leads me to why we can’t play any games in the preseason, or why there isn’t at least one practice note. This is likely going to be a better team than last year and yet the buzz can’t even exist because no one is writing about us and there’s not even a video out there. Meanwhile Kentucky’s playing on TV.

2. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Premium Member

Kentucky is normally called the best team in November. Now they’re the king of August. Sure is an unusual route they’re taking to March.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Did the gator summer practices and workouts end already?

There were some twitter postings, I believe. @gatorjjh posts a lot from twitter. I was thinking, we did have a lot of activity. Not hearing anything currently since the gators are done with their summer work-outs.

4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Are you just trying to rile me up?!? Lol!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. harveyj

harveyj Sophomore

Mar 27, 2018
    I do wish we would do one of these summer trips at some point. And this is the best UK team since Cal's title team. They have zero roster holes unlike the last few years. UK and KU the clear 2 best teams ahead of the season.

6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep. The years in which we've done the summer trips we've had excellent seasons to follow. Final 4 years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    After some research, the NCAA allows every team to do this sort of thing once every four years. I'm not sure if we've ever done anything like this though.

8. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    The biggest reason to do these every 4 years is actually just the 10 (I believe its 10 at least) extra practices this allows for during the summer. Really helps teams progress more quickly. I could have sworn y'all did these trips in the past.

9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Rem08 - Watched a bit - Your kids appear to be formidable for the upcoming campaign. I seem to recall doing something similar but I may be confusing it with an early season tourney.

10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    We've probably done something like this before, I just can't recall when and it certainly didn't bring any of our fans. This is imo Cal's must-have season. If he doesn't get to the final 4 with this group, a lot of Cat fans will turn on him as some already have. Florida will be good enough to compete with them, but their talent level is just sick right now.

12. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I'll admit they look better than I thought. Freshmen are always unknowns and sophomores don't always improve much. Combined with the addition of Travis, seems like everything is looking good so far.

I know there are other teams that don't do these trips. I'm guessing cost, maybe, as being a negative?

This year would have been a great one for y'all, from my perspective, to get your PG situation as settled as possible.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  13. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

Yeah, I don't know. Its kinda getting to where it seems like every year is a do or die situation for Cal or for the fan base but things just keep on moving forward. Last year was one of the most negative, as far as fans view of Cal and his system, that we've seen yet and then to see more players leave than were expected? Somehow, though, it has turned into one of the seasons that fans are most excited about and a team that looks to be one of his best.

I think its just become clear that, with Cal as coach, fans have to live with higher turnover and fewer 3-4 year players but will also get to experience years where Cal ends up with the right mix of great freshmen and strong returning players (2010, 2012, 2015 and this year). Obviously doesn't mean an automatic national championship though. Its also not like the "down" years are atrocious either IMO.

14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    You mean the highest turnover and no 3-4 players. I can't even name a kid who stayed 3-4 years at Kentucky under Calipari.

15. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In 2006/2007, the Gators played 2 exhibition games in Canada. I attended both of them and reported back on Gator Country that Dan Werner was going to be a star. Slight mistake on my part, but a great vacation.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Yeah they do look really good. Will they look that good vs Fla , Aub , Tenn Bama etc.. ? Maybe . Not sure they can do those things in our building.
    Just a little fact here everyone. In the last 32 games vs UK we are 16 -16 . What ever that means. And to me it means a lot

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Definitely highest turnover. We've had 3-4 year players. Granted not many. If you think you'll remember them. Even had one that was a lottery pick. And I'm not counting guys that Cal inherited (like Patterson).

We used to have TONS of 3-4 year guys though - rosters full of them! Under Tubby. Those weren't the best of years.

There are now and will always be fans that are turned off by a lack of 3-4 year players. That will never change. Something else that will always be the case though is that they'll be the minority. More than anything else UK fans want to be excited about their team's prospects each and every year. We don't want to enter the tournament an 8 seed knowing that there really isn't much of a chance of the year mounting to much. Cal has really raised the bar in this regard and is why, other than fringe minorities, fans have been very happy for the past 10 years.

I think fans of other schools want to see UK fans become dissatisfied and Rupp's Rafters (after losses and NBA declarations) gives them good evidence, albeit not representative, to support this hope.

18. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    That should mean a lot and that is interesting. How far back does that go? I'm thinking it must go back before Cal?

Also, I don't know how UK will look against those good teams. Jon Rothstien recently picked UK to finish 3rd in the SEC. Supposedly some of those Bahama teams were good but I don't know enough to prove that correct. Duke is one of UK's first games so we won't have to wait long!

19. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Hey , he tried hard . He was a Gator and I’m good with that. Our fans crucified him . I’m sure he sprinted out of Gainesville after his last game.

20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Yes the Dan Werner situation was as painful a deal to watch as I have ever seen. The fans were just horrible to the kid. I hope he is doing well wherever he is.