Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kennedy to the portal?

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by ApexNC, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, the thrill of college football, back in the day, was that it was our guys versus their guys, our coaches versus their coaches. We all took pride and were super loyal to our guys. That's what made it special, and exciting.

Now their is little loyalty on the part of the players--with some exceptions-- and no loyalty on the part of the coaches. It's all about money, and NIL is going to make it much, much worse.

That's why the the younger generation isn't showing up for games. They don't have the same spirit or enthusiasm or connection to the team.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    It’s funny people think because of our public school too 5 it means something to recruits . It never has and never will

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Huh?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Lol I was drinking pretty good yesterday . I just read that and thought to myself. “Stay off Gator Country when inebriated.
    Bottom line what I was saying that the kids nowadays really don’t care about what classes are they will take the minimal route until they are through with that school.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Swampgas44 disagrees with me asking questions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    @swampgas44 . What in the hell do u disagree with here ?? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    @swampgas44 .. u are about close to the ignore button. Ignorant bastige

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Huh?

9. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    I think a lot of kids care about the reputation and quality of the school.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Wake the hell up ! No they don’t

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some kids do, some don't. Some parents do, some don't.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Doubtful. We had a tip 50 HS commitment that decommited and signed with LSU. Did not make that decision for academic reasons, as LSU is ranked extremely poorly, did not make that decision based on past tournament success or appearing in National championship games the last 20 years, did not make that decision on National Brand, as UF has a much larger population (16 plus million more in State). Likely chose LSU for perceived immediate playing time (no Castleton in front of him) or money. I’m sure negative recruiting could play out here as to head coaches system as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    there 100% needs to be rules and regulations, but your post is full of extreme hyperbole.

it’s possible to seek some $ and still love your teammates and coaches.

the notion that kids need to love their school and be “loyal”, while coaches can leave their job…while the sport made billions is precisely the reason we’re in this mess.

NIL is the (very flawed) end result of greed and lack of innovation….NIL was born out of a misaligned system. Now we have chaos that needs to fixed asap.

Now fans are hurt and are mad at the players. This is NOT the kids fault. This is the fault of the adults that created and maintained a flawed system waaaaay beyond its useful life.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I read an interview of Efi. He doesn’t care about NIL, tradition, facilities, etc. He wants to go to a program that in one season will get him ready for the NBA.

15. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

My sentiments exactly.

16. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

It seems to work in the NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, and USL. Why would it not work on a college level? In fact, it is probably better than the players getting paid directly by the university and its boosters because if the natural market forces come into play, a player will be able to get his brand promoted by promoting a significant brand that might not even be saturated in the geographic locale of the school. For instance, a 5-star from Chicago who chooses to play for a small school in Texas might be able to sign a deal outside of Texas and it will still be legitimate. A HS player could technically shop deals before committing to a program separately and distinct from the program, and go to a non powerhouse program and get paid as much as he would at a powerhouse program.

If that is what evolves from NIL, then it is the best that could possibly happen for college sports. Five great players could go to a tiny school and instantly make it a powerhouse, and not worry about non-exposure because their NIL deals will compensate them each year they stay, and their winning will speak for itself in generating publicity.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Yeah, I don’t get how you can dislike a “huh” question, but to each their own.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    You think all these top recruits go to Alabama for their academic rating? I think they might pay attention to it somewhat, but they are really looking at what school gives them the best shot of going pro. Kids who care about academic reputation are typically going to be those who know they will probably not get selected to go pro.

19. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    The best case scenario with NIL could be pretty awesome. Note sure how probable that is, but I like to be optimistic and think that a solid solution will be implemented.

Step 1 though: Stop the chaos

20. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    It would help if the SEC office would help with recruiting cheating, laying down some rules that make sense and help lead the nation into a new era where recruiting, has consequences. not just NIL contracts but verification of fulfilling their obligations, but all cars should have documentation on loans for rides or checks paid. No moving families to their city to provide housing, jobs and rides. This has been so abused that the league office should be embarrassed, but the office is in a state where where this is the norm. I see nothing Sankey, get involved making the SEC the model conference, not the cheating conference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1