Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kelvin Joseph Update 7/26/19

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jul 26, 2019.

1. raygravesghost

raygravesghost Sophomore

Aug 13, 2019

Lots of students wouldn't get into UF if it was based strictly on grades....

What would you suppose we do about admissions for athletes?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Probably, yes.

3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Can’t be a top 10 public university with LSU and West Virginia admission requirements

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Make it the same as the rest of the football schools. Let’s not kid ourselves and pretend athletes need to be up to university standards.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's not pretend uf athletes are all up to university standards

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Well, let’s not pretend that they would be admitted based on academic history. But once here, they have every opportunity to be “up to University standards.” And that’s the point. They get to exploit their unique athleticism to secure enrollment. Once here, they can achieve whatever it is that they set their mind to and their goals. It’s a good bargain for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    That’s a good way of looking at it

• Like Like x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree, but this was relating to admissions....and the standard is simply lower in the regard, and by a large measure

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    West Virginia has made a living getting Florida recruits who cannot get into UF, FSU , and Miami.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Not many tryin to tackle an engineering degree and play football. That’s enough load for a fairly intelligent kid without sports.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Many people are vocal about how tough it is to get into UF these days, and it is brutal. We all know very smart kids who desperately wanted to get in and are denied.

Many less academically qualified athletes get in ahead of these kids, and most are ok that this happens in a small number of cases and hope that many of those kids value the educational opportunity they are receiving. But if an athlete can't meet the lowered basic admission standards to get into UF, I find it hard to be sympathetic given all the kids who work hard academically and are rejected to UF. Requiring athletes to show something academically before admitting them isn't too much to ask.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I hear you but I don’t care. Many of these kids hey basket weaving degrees if any at all. Just stay eligible is all it’s about for most. They generate millions for the university and I don’t even pretend to care about admissions standards when it comes to these guys. It’s the nfl’s minor league plain and simple. It’s almost to the point of why even go to class, drop the pretense and let it be what it really is. Give em a signing bonus like mlb does.

13. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    I think you and I largely agree - the mockery of "amateur sports" that is college football is in line with the mockery of education that such sports can cause to a University. I too would prefer if kids could go straight to the NFL, the NFL created a farm system, and college football was more like baseball. Alternatively, as you suggest, I would consider a system where players got flat base pay at college and could either go to class or not.

But, if we are going to call them students, admit them, have them take course work, and honor them with a degree from my University, I can't just throw up my hands. I get the grey area here, and as I said in my previous post, am ok with some allowances for balancing athletic ability with academics (just like we should, and do, look at factors other than just test scores in admissions). As you point out, the money involved has chased us pretty low down this rat hole, but I personally can't just give up.

14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Heck, make them take the average courses of the average UF student. That will clear that shit up real quick because nobody will be eligible to play football

• Like Like x 1
  15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Most good students can get into UF if they want to. Problem is, when they get that rejection letter, they are understandably hurt, and just move on. I was in a meeting just this morning where we went through again, how a boat load of students rejected by UF enter programs at Santa Fe College where they get a UF Student ID after successfully passing their first semester. They are then effectively "UF students at Santa Fe." They can use their UF ID to do anything on the UF campus that any UF student can do. When they get their AA, they transfer to UF. Its a great option for a kid that has his/her heart on going to UF. Beats the heck out of getting bitter and going to fsu and hating on UF the rest of your life. I know the programs exist for Construction Management, Architecture, and Engineering. I'm sure that other similar programs exist also.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Perseverance, I'm trying to teach it every day. Most don't wish to have anything to do with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    and one recruit who couldnt stay enrolled.

18. Fezziwigator

Fezziwigator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I tried learning perseverance once, but it was hard so I just gave up. Heck, half the time I don't even finish my

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    This is GOLD!!

20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    No word yet?