Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

KC Chiefs kicker complains about "emasculation of men," gay pride & says women should be homemakers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, May 16, 2024.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker delivered a controversial commencement speech during Benedictine College's graduation ceremony that has sparked backlash on social media. The 28-year-old's address at the May 11 ceremony decried various "diabolical lies told to women" about topics including abortion, in vitro fertilization (IVF) and surrogacy, as well as President Joe Biden.

The NFL player started by mentioning how this year's graduates started college at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, but said that, "while COVID might have played a large role throughout your formative years, it is not unique," and took aim at "bad policies and poor leadership" that he says "have negatively impacted major life issues." "Things like abortion, IVF, surrogacy, euthanasia, as well as a growing support for degenerative cultural values in media all stem from the pervasiveness of disorder."

Later, he addressed the male graduates directly, advising them to “be unapologetic in your masculinity," and to "fight against the cultural emasculation of men," in his speech. "To the gentlemen here today, part of what plagues our society is this lie that has been told to you that men are not necessary in the home or our communities," Butker said.

"As men, we set the tone of the culture, and when that is absent, disorder, dysfunction and chaos set in. This absence of men in the home is what plays a large role in the violence we see all around the nation." Elsewhere in his speech, Butker took aim at the LGBTQ+ community, calling their pride "deadly sins." The reception to Butker's speech has not been positive, with many fans calling for the kicker to be cut from Kansas City's football team.

Chiefs' Harrison Butker Criticized for Graduation Speech Attacking Working Women While Quoting Taylor Swift

Whose idea was it to let an idiot MAGA kicker give a graduation speech in the first place

• Funny x 3
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Holy crap ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    The Chiefs are really good at collecting unlikable players.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Not a fan of his remarks but I'll play Devils advocate. Someone from another thread mentioned thst this was at a small religious college and he was asked to speak. If that's the case and they support his ideals then why are people more critical of them than several other cultural and religious ideals that share the similar defined gender roles?

His Comments creep me out a little but I admit it's most likely due to my own preconceptions of his "type." Meanwhile the world respects and celebrate other cultures from around the world that are entrenched in the same rigid roles if not moreso.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Seems as if woman who worked hard to achieve a college degree might have a different primary “vocation” in mind, even if their religious beliefs lined up. .

Meanwhile, in other news…..
    Mom of Chiefs' Harrison Butker, who told women to be homemakers, is physicist

We’ve got very good friends whose daughter went to Westminster with Buttker. Let’s just say he was not very well liked by his mates

Edit-and even if their religious views align, why have woman been told a diabolical lie and by whom? Their physicist, doctor or lawyer mothers? What a cretin.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 4
  6. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    I bet he’s really popular with Brittany Mahomes and her athletes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Setting himself up for a career in politics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    So...typical Republican. Check.

I hope we get more like him to come out into the open and speak their minds. For every bigoted Neanderthal who opens his mouth, another female or moderate voter decides to hold his or her nose and vote for Joe Biden.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  9. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Can you say "retired NFL kicker?"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    This is what I say all the time—don’t lurk in the shadows, come out and show us who you are. Whether you’re racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, misogynistic—wear it as proudly in broad daylight as those do who you despise. Then we’ll know.

12. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, I assume someone at the college knew what kind of stuff he'd be saying. A placekicker is not your usual commencement speaker. He had to have been chosen because of his views.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Hunt bros working to trade him to Saudi Arabia in exchange for 1% interest in Aramco. Win win.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I just assume that roughly 50% of people hold those views, so I’m not really shocked by what he said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'd be more interested in what percent of women hold those views. It's easy for a man to hold those views.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I’ll take the under on that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Yeah, I’m just being numerically conservative. It’s probably less than that, but I was speaking roughly.

19. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Just to be clear here, while I do not quite see eye to eye with to this guy's views of women, I don't have a problem with him holding those views, nor voicing them.

My comment was more about the NFL, sanctioning such views.

Move over Timmy....you gots company.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    A Catholic man waxing Catholic at a Catholic college commencement... :eek:

Radical indeed... :cool:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1