Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Dec 4, 2008
    agree...the senators are going to be making the decision ...they should be doing the questioning....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Dec 4, 2008
    if we weren't so close to November elections, he would have ben gone long ago

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Mark Judge: " I don't remember anything like that, but, I wouldn't swear to it..."

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Dec 4, 2008
    subpoena Mark Judge....make him testify under oath to the FBI...then we may get somewhere....even if BK gets confirmed...this is not over

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    There is no corroboration from a disinterested party. It’s her husband saying she told him it was Kavanaugh and there is no proof of that. A vague description that would cover a lot of men from Georgetown Prep was provided in 2012 to her therapist.

Nice try though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Please stop this stupid idea that Judge should have to talk to the FBI or appear before the committee. He has provided a sworn statement about his knowledge of this incident, what more do you want?

Judge is a conservative writer in DC. The Democrats want him to testify so they can take all of his writings over the years to call him a racist and a homophobe. They are going conduct a character assassination on him and then attempt to smear Kavanaugh for being friends with such a racist, homophobe.

The fact that Dr. Ford’s therapist notes say there were four boys and she is now saying it was two, and the other boy just happens to be a well known conservative writer who is a recovering alcoholic, is a significant discrepancy that needs to be addressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Another extension has been granted. If there is a request for another than it is nothing more than grandstanding. They must be scrambling to find anyone willing to corroborate her story.

8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    She directly identified Kavanaugh. There are apparently also notes from her therapist predating this nomination. And, one would not expect any other person who witnesssed an attempted rape and kept his mouth shut to come forward ever. An allegation of an attempted rape should be investigated by law enforcement that is trained to do so. The suggestion that this is appropriate for a Senate Committee is laughable and is only offered because this is a done deal. And, maybe after 35 years, there is no way to assess the crisibilty of this. But, to decide credibility on political grounds like McConnell, Hatch and others have done is sickening. Same with this thread. Opinions are breaking along political lines. The “she is confused” narrative is even more disgraceful because the guy who made it up did so without evidence and dragged in a wholly uninvolved person. As for me, I don’t automatically credit these accusations. I represented someone once who was falsely accused. After I proved at a bond hearing an airtight alibi on the alleged day of the event, and the accused was given bond, the complainant changed the date of the accusation to 6 weeks earlier. The original date had been a milestone date on which a person would know where she was. There was, of course, no physical evidence. When the state dropped the case, the prosecutor told me that the accused was telling the truth, but continuing made her relive the event. I told the prosecutor that no one makes a mistake about a date like that (which was close in time) and then changed the date when the accused presents an airtight alibi. But, it is evidence that must be gathered and assessed. The reason this is not being done is that this has been decided politically. A true black eye for a country no longer interested in truth if it is inconvenient politically. So, let me know when it is over.

9. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Agreed. “Hey, we want to play in your baseball game but we want 5 strikes, 4 outs and a few other changes to your rules; and, if you don’t agree you’re all heartless bastards”

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm not sure it was a sworn statement....didn't read about that

11. GatorFanCF

Apr 14, 2007
    Posted above: “A true black eye for a country no longer interested in truth if it is inconvenient politically. So, let me know when it is over.”

I agree with this statement - sadly, it’s true on both sides.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Go back and re-read this thread. You are missing a lot of issues that have already been covered extensively like what is actually in her therapist’s notes.

13. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Ronald Reagan's daughter defends woman accusing Kavanaugh of sexual assault - CNNPolitics

So I'm reading this article and this passage caught my attention.

So things like time,place,date etc... don't matter much? Yet the detail/descrption of the accusation does?

If anything the accusation is the least important thing because it is only a description of the remembered event.
    Time, place, date etc....are the most important because they are what is provable and gives veracity and credibility to the accusation.

14. GatorFanCF

Apr 14, 2007
    Classic conflict between the emotional trauma of an event and the facts surrounding it. Hint to all: both are important.

15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I think contextually she probably means they don’t matter much in that moment for escaping the situation.

Women who are being physically or sexually assaulted don’t first think “what’s the address of this house, or, crap, I can’t see that clock to know what time it is”

Those only become important details after the fact in terms of reporting and proving, not surviving, because at the time of the assault all your mind can think about is “how the F am I going to escape this?” not “what color is the carpeting so I can prove this later?

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    That’s only partly true. Not even the Committee wants to play by its own past practices here. Both sides are playing a form of brinksmanship in negotiating terms for her appearance, and there are no real “rules” for this. If there were the Committee would sumply subpoena her and she’d either show up and testify to their direct questioning under oath or be in contempt.

17. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It was a sworn statement submitted to the committee under penalty of perjury.

18. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    She was 15 at the time....do you really think the time, place and date of the assault was foremost in her mind?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    First, I have little doubt that Christine Blasey Ford is telling the truth. That being said, her allegations are essentially a "Hale Mary" by the Democrats. Kavanaugh's confirmation is more or less a done deal. In reality Blasey Ford's testimony will be no more than political theater although one possible consequence could be the mobilization of support among middle class women for Democratic candidates.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I like how Grassley is playing this. He is making concessions publicly and trying to work with Dr. Ford to make sure she is given the chance to testify and is very clear about it. However, he is making sure everyone knows this is the second deadline that Dr. Ford has missed and this will not and cannot continue. If a deal is not worked out by tomorrow evening, Grassley can still call a vote on Monday and say it is clear Dr. Ford has no intention of testifying as she has been given an opportunity to tell her story but has continued to refuse to agree to testify.

One of the things I’m hearing from folks on the right is that Dr. Ford has no intention of testifying and this is all just kabuki theater. It will be a he said, she said after the hearing and Kavanaugh will still get confirmed. If she doesn’t testify and Kavanaugh is confirmed, the allegation is still out there and Democrats can use it to rail against the court as political and illegitimate and impeachment Kavanaugh at some point in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1