Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The FBI does very well when it conducts limited interviews for Trump to support one of his nominees, but not so well when it interviews everyone it can for a Robert Mueller’s “witch hunt.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I dunno, Dianne seemed to have some real trouble finding the time to do anything with Dr. Ford’s letter.

;)

(This is completely in jest if that was not already abundantly clear.)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I still think you're way off on this, Ben. The vote happening now is great for Democratic candidates. Republican furor is going to die down. They got their victory. But the people who feel cheated or ignored are going to be irate. And they will remember, remember, on the Sixth of November.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Apologies for laughing...no direspect intended...

But that shit is funny.

Like grampa just dropped a [politically incorrect] bomb at thanksgiving dinner awkward kinda funny.

Just sayn...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    You don't have to have a long attention span to keep this whole sordid episode in the forefront of your mind for what, 5 or 6 weeks? I think it works to the D's advantage as far as voter turnout. I don't think it will change anyone's vote, just the turnout.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My point is, the term "white supremacist" is used WAY too loosely these days, and it's a very short hop from white supremacist to Nazi. Taking your logic a couple of steps further, it's morally justifiable to punch somebody who is arbitrarily perceived to be a Nazi. You should be able to see the problem with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Nothing more than a political hit job. Better luck next time.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I do see the problem with that because it's not taking my logic a couple steps further. It's quite a leap from where I am. My logic is that punching Nazi is fine because of what they believe. Punching a person who doesn't believe in those things obviously isn't fine. I guess the question here is, how does one get to be arbitrarily perceived to be a Nazi?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So let me ask - do you think it should be legal to punch someone who is clearly a Nazi / self-identifies as one?

• Like Like x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No. The First Amendment plainly bars that.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If you're asking if I would be in favor of it if 1A didn't bar it, yeah, sure.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, how dare that country club Republican not vote for Brett Kavanaugh, the son of a lobbyist who went to a high school...that literally has a golf course on school property. :confused:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, that is what I'm asking. So what other beliefs / ideologies should not be protected by 1A in your opinion?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    DNC Chair Keith Ellison doesn't exactly come across as a champion of women's rights. I am not saying sexism doesn't exist within the GOP, but let's not oversimplify.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yeah, that's not what I'm saying. As long as 1A exists, it can't happen. In a world where 1A doesn't exist, just the Nazis for me.

16. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So no other hate groups?

17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    That's a good thing.

Anyone who says different is only thinking with one side of their brain.

The whole concept of looking at the big picture is that we get more voters involved.

This is one of the main reasons everyone should be happy that Donald Trump won the presidency.

Here's another thought. If 100% of the registered voters in the country voted...it doesn't matter who wins. Everyone should be pleased because.....the person who won was chosen by the people.

Wrap your head around that - and most people can't - or won't.

Which is fine. As long as it makes me content with how things are playing out - obviously I'm happy.

I can't help it if so many people are drama queens and need attention to the point where they stop thinking all together.

We're making progress....stay engaged...stay passionate....and stay angry if that's your bag.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Even as a group I’m not sure they have engaged more violence. But as it is they are def expressly violent toward neonazis and white nationalists, specifically groups like the kkk. But really it seems they do so to disrupt their public events And quite frankly I’m okay with it.

Those professing ideologies that call for the removal of minorities and the creation of a white (Christian) ethnostate need to be hit in the teeth hard and their ideology not be given oxygen by people professing to want to live in a civil democratic society. The unmistakable ideological orientation underlying neonazism and white nationalism is anti-democratic, as well as racist, and a threat to others lives and to society. Neonazis and alt-right types use the tools of democracy to spread their filth but it has become quite the irony when well-meaning *good people* defend them on 1a principles despite their anti-democratic bent.

I’ll watch the vid later and respond.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Wtf was he thinking?:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If you have any recommendations, have at it. That's the one group that stands out to me. I hate a lot of other groups, but the Nazis are the only one off the top of my head that want genocide.