Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Aug 31, 2009
    It looks like 6 thorough vettings from the FBI don't get you much these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Weird that all these former Yale students were waiting for the other shoe to drop on something that apparently never happened:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/im...anaugh to Grassley - Kavanaugh Nomination.pdf

"Dear Chairman Grassley and Ranking Member Feinstein:

When I testified in front of the Senate three weeks ago, I explained my belief that fair process is foundational to justice and to our democracy.

At that time, I sat before the Senate Judiciary Committee for more than 31 hours and answered questions under oath. I then answered more questions at a confidential session. The following week, I responded to more than 1,200 written questions, more than have been submitted to all previous Supreme Court nominees combined.

Only after that exhaustive process was complete did I learn, through the news media, about a 36-year-old allegation from high school that had been asserted months earlier and withheld from me throughout the hearing process. First it was an anonymous allegation that I categorically and unequivocally denied. Soon after the accuser was identified, I repeated my denial on the record and made clear that I wished to appear before the Committee. I then repeated my denial to Committee investigators—under criminal penalties for false statements. All of the witnesses identified by Dr. Ford as being present at the party she describes are on the record to the Committee saying they have no recollection of any such party happening. I asked to testify before the Committee again under oath as soon as possible, so that both Dr. Ford and I could both be heard. I thank Chairman Grassley for scheduling that hearing for Thursday.

Last night, another false and uncorroborated accusation from 35 years ago was published. Once again, those alleged to have been witnesses to the event deny it ever happened. There is now a frenzy to come up with something—anything—that will block this process and a vote on my confirmation from occurring.

These are smears, pure and simple. And they debase our public discourse. But they are also a threat to any man or woman who wishes to serve our country. Such grotesque and obvious character assassination—if allowed to succeed—will dissuade competent and good people of all political persuasions from service.

As I told the Committee during my hearing, a federal judge must be independent, not swayed by public or political pressure. That is the kind of judge I will always be. I will not be intimidated into withdrawing from this process. The coordinated effort to destroy my good name will not drive me out. The vile threats of violence against my family will not drive me out. The last-minute character assassination will not succeed.

I have devoted my career to serving the public and the cause of justice, and particularly to promoting the equality and dignity of women. Women from every phase of my life have come forward to attest to my character. I am grateful to them. I owe it to them, and to my family, to defend my integrity and my name. I look forward to answering questions from the Senate on Thursday.

Sincerely,

Brett M. Kavanaugh"

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty strong letter there.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    I'm very disappointed the dems are just relying on a 40 year old sexual assault accusation when I'm sure they could dig up someone who says they have heard him use the n word at some point in high school. That, he couldn't recover from.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    According to The NY Times, she had been calling former Yale classmates about it. Why would it be weird that they would email each other about it?

8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The NYT didn't give an exact timeline, but it sounded like she reached out to classmates after Dr. Blasey came forward. That tweet says that the former Yale students were talking about it LONG BEFORE Dr. Blasey came forward.

9. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    New Yorker is trying to cover its ass on why it decided to run a story, that itself leads off with the disclaimer that the New Yorker was unable to corroborate it, when the paper using the world famous tagline "All The News That's Fit to Print" investigated the same story for weeks, could not corroborate it, and decided that it was not, in fact, fit to print.

And said paper probably didn't do the New Yorker any favors by promptly reporting that they also had the story, investigated it, and were unable to find any corroboration to justify running it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Of all the lawyers in lawyerland.... This one does not help creditability of the accusers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    They did corroborate it. Quite damning for all the naysayers that she wasn't the initial source. Fact is that Ronan Farrow and Jane Mayer took down DEMOCRATIC NY AG Eric Schneiderman earlier this year. Good luck attacking two of the best investigative reporters in the country.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Very good questions and I agree - there really does need to be some sort of investigation to try to address these and other questions.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Uh oh, Ronan Farrow just Dikembe Mutombo'd the NYT:

[​IMG]

Also relevant:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If other students were emailing each other without, or before, having been contacted by her then it would be significant news depending on the content of the emails. If they were after she contacted them, then it would not seem to be noteworthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    And that's what Mayer and Farrow are saying. They were emailing each other before she reached out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The interesting thing here is that the rhetoric is quite similar to what the defenders of Roy Moore were saying. They too alleged that it was a coordinated smear campaign.

17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The New Yorker is taking a lot of heat from other publications for publishing this story. They led with "Democrats are investigating" which the Democrats told them about so they could write a story about it. NYTimes, NBC, and other outlets are basically saying it should not have been run due to lack of the ability to have an eye witness to the story other than woman.

BTW - what changed in the 6 days she was thinking about it to change her memory of the event? And why did she need a lawyer for it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Meanwhile Michael Avenatti is jumping up and down on the sideline with his hand in the air, yelling for the Democrats to pick him to be part of the team on Thursday and they keep pretending they cannot see him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2