Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I am sorry you disagree with it but I prefer not to insult people for expressing their opinions on a political message board.

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Did you see the two women in the article who said that Judge is being dishonest about what went on during his HS days? It was later in the piece.

What hurts Kavanaugh is that there are people who heard about it at the time.

3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If you want to draw an analogy, she is more like Mary Jo Kopechne than Teddy Kennedy. It's the plastered Brett Kavanaugh who played the role of Teddy. Kavanaugh may very well be telling the truth when he says that he doesn't recall the incident since he was drunk out of his mind. Repeating my statement from earlier in this thread, impairment resulting from voluntary intoxication is no defense to sexual assault.

4. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Has a Democratic nominee ever been borked?

5. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
  6. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    "This claim is denied by all who were said to be present and is wholly inconsistent with what many women and men who knew Judge Kavanaugh at the time in college say."

This is a quote from the fourth paragraph in the story.

7. JerseyGator01

Apr 10, 2007
    North,

You mean the same woman mentioned in post 2055? Is this thread was about a Dem, it would have been closed by now.

8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    From what I've read, she didn't come forward until the letter she sent to Feinstein was leaked to the press.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Did a Democratic Senate Majority Leader ever kill the nomination of a Republican nominee by refusing to even hold hearings? At least every Republican nominee who wasn't confirmed has had the opportunity to go through the full confirmation process.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  10. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Getting Borked requires a hearing.

You think Trump inherited 100+ Court vacancies because Obama forgot to nominate people?

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Yeah I didn’t see that.

And your comment about this being closed if it were about a Dem is just silly.

12. JerseyGator01

Apr 10, 2007
    Pales in comparison to Bush. Guess who this new accuser's lawyer is? Stormy 2020 baby! As if this overhyped lawyer hasn't been on TV enough.

I know corruption rules, but does it have to be so obvious.

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    So isn't the big criminal, here, Feinstein? Who violated the alleged victims wishes for political gain?

She was the one who pushed the first proverbial political domino, politicizing a heinous sexual assault allegation.

14. JerseyGator01

Apr 10, 2007
    Feinstein won't be punished by the Senate. She's a Democrat seeking re-election.

15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It seems the opposition has their M.O. working again. Make accusation and admit to there being gaps to shut down disbelief and than have those named to be witnesses deny it happened.

Oh forgot to add: never filed a police report but demand a federal investigation 30 years later.

Nevermind the denial by witnesses, the accusation is all that matters.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You forgot this:
    The New Yorker has not confirmed with other eyewitnesses that Kavanaugh was present at the party. The magazine contacted several dozen classmates of Ramirez and Kavanaugh regarding the incident. Many did not respond to interview requests; others declined to comment, or said they did not attend or remember the party. A classmate of Ramirez’s, who declined to be identified because of the partisan battle over Kavanaugh’s nomination, said that another student told him about the incident either on the night of the party or in the next day or two. The classmate said that he is “one-hundred-per-cent sure” that he was told at the time that Kavanaugh was the student who exposed himself to Ramirez. He independently recalled many of the same details offered by Ramirez, including that a male student had encouraged Kavanaugh as he exposed himself. The classmate, like Ramirez, recalled that the party took place in a common room on the first floor in Entryway B of Lawrance Hall, during their freshman year. “I’ve known this all along,” he said. “It’s been on my mind all these years when his name came up. It was a big deal.” The story stayed with him, he said, because it was disturbing and seemed outside the bounds of typically acceptable behavior, even during heavy drinking at parties on campus. The classmate said that he had been shocked, but not necessarily surprised, because the social group to which Kavanaugh belonged often drank to excess. He recalled Kavanaugh as “relatively shy” until he drank, at which point he said that Kavanaugh could become “aggressive and even belligerent.”

Another classmate, Richard Oh, an emergency-room doctor in California, recalled overhearing, soon after the party, a female student tearfully recounting to another student an incident at a party involving a gag with a fake penis, followed by a male student exposing himself. Oh is not certain of the identity of the female student. Ramirez told her mother and sister about an upsetting incident at the time, but did not describe the details to either due to her embarrassment.

Mark Krasberg, an assistant professor of neurosurgery at the University of New Mexico who was also a member of Kavanaugh and Ramirez’s class at Yale, said Kavanaugh’s college behavior had become a topic of discussion among former Yale students soon after Kavanaugh’s nomination. In one e-mail that Krasberg received in September, the classmate who recalled hearing about the incident with Ramirez alluded to it and wrote that it “would qualify as a sexual assault,” he speculated, “if it’s true.”

17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree Feinstein was playing political games with this.

It's a shame that attacking a likely sexual assault victim is the response from some folks.

And let's not pretend like the Pubs aren't playing games with this as well. Neither group gives even a tiny crap about justice here. They just want to "win" wrt this nomination.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    But Republicans are only playing as a response to Feinstein, then...

It's easy to say "both are playing games," but she threw the first proverbial political punch by releasing an alleged private story against the wishes of the victim.

Are you suggesting that the Republicans should have taken the moral high road, and suffered by giving Feinstein exactly what she wanted?

Why does it have to be Republicans taking the high road? Why not Feinstein?

19. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Thanks for pointing the part about Judge out. I didn't catch it when I first read the article. Judge is not Kavanaugh and trying to equate the two seems unfair to me.

I see your point about people who heard about it, but the article says that every one who was said to be present denies it.

20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    However, Judge's denial is being touted as evidence in favor of Kavanaugh. If he's lying, it obviously undermines that evidence.