Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Katie Couric covered up RBG's dislike for taking the knee during the national anthem.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Oct 14, 2021.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Whats funny is they are insistent it would have been an epic shit storm like no other had it come out. Well it did come out, some people did get mad, and she even apologized. And 5 years later no one even remembers that 'epic shitstorm' happening. Indeed, they are convinced that there was some broad media cover-up to protect her. Well if that's the case, they failed really bad. Looks to me like some people who fancy themselves savvy customers got suckered by a corporate book release tease. Thats no less of an indictment of the media, but a different kind of one for sure.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    See my post upthread about the difference between “dumb” and “contempt for the government,” particularly in the context of what conservatives were getting blasted for saying at the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Now who's parsing words to fit their narrative? A number of people didnt like what she said at the time, Kaepernick himself, and even her fans. What would a couple extra words have changed? Nothing. She apologized precisely because people who respect her were like "that sucks."

Ruth Bader Ginsburg apologizes to Colin Kaepernick after criticizing anthem protest | CNN Politics

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    It’s not parsing words.

To give an analogy, had the New York Times reported that Jon Gruden said Roger Goodell “was dumb” and then it later came out that the NYT knew Gruden actually called Goodell “a football-hating p**** f**,” no one would be jumping up to say “what’s the big deal, this already got reported and people were upset.”

They’re different comments, the fact that part of them got reported and people already didn’t like those comments doesn’t excuse Couric from, at the time, deciding to bury the even more inflammatory remarks.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    At one point in time MSM was neutral. you know what you get with all those other sites.

6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The extra words left out of RBG's statement (which everyone agrees shouldn't have been) were not slurs or insults. This is not a good comparison! In fact I'd suggest saying it was "dumb" was the more insulting and offensive part to people than "contempt for government." Why dont you just take the draw/partial credit by saying you were right about people getting mad because they were similar sentiments to racist dipshits like Trump?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    She shouldn't have to. Her stance is not unreasonable.

It just happens to be for the MSM, which is why Couric probably felt the need to omit it.

That says more about the MSM standards for acceptable viewpoints than it does about RBG, which has been a long-time criticism of the left and media from conservatives.

MSM doesn't have any standards, they just pick winners and losers. They report on the folks the don't like as a way of telling the cancel mob "sic em." They cover for the people they do like so they don't have to answer to anybody.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    And to further illustrate my point, here is 715 attacking the "MSM" for having no standards and just covering for the people they do like, while the "MSM" is currently bashing Couric. So...they don't like Couric?

9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Well, yes, sometimes the left eats their own like they're doing with Couric, often-times when they decide you are no longer needed. I think RBG was just a bit more important than Couric. She was a left-wing icon.

They'll cover for you or pretend you don't exist if they need to. Don't believe me, just ask Hunter Biden.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    And here we are again: criticizing somebody for doing something wrong doesn't count because you have classified (or, to use Tilly's phrase "pigeon holed") them as the same and that is the only thing that matters. Not whether the facts on the ground matches the theory, whether the theory matches the theory. If the facts don't match that, just try to reframe the facts (it isn't criticism based on finding her actions wrong, it is eating their own) to try to fit the theory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Obvious speculation, I suspect that if the transcript of the full verbatim interview with RGB was made public she probably said something to the effect that while she felt that those who knelt during the national anthem were showing 'contempt for a government that has made it possible for their parents and grandparents to live a decent life.' she still defended there right to do so not unlike the Jewish ACLU attorneys who defended the right of the Nazis to march on Skokie Illinois in 1977 while displaying the swastika.
    For those who do not recall or were never aware the march and resulting court case.
    The Skokie Case: How I Came to Represent the Free Speech Rights of Nazis

Edit: Apparently her comments to Katie Couric were an emotional reaction although I still think upon reflection she would have expanded up her original statement with a defense of Kapernick's right to protest by taking a knee.

12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Who on my own side did I attack? Again, you seem to think I think Trump is on my side. I know that boggles the mind of the entrenched, but my "side" is a pretty small one and if I attack it, you can point that out. Until then, stop moving the goal posts to create point that is flawed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    We should "hold Couric accountable."

It's obvious standards don't matter anymore. Cancel Culture won. Let's play the same game and cancel everybody.

The quicker everyone is cancelled, the quicker Cancel Culture ceases to have any meaning.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Why the c'mon man @mdgator05 ? Have you been under a rock?
    I detest the man and what he has done. I wanted him impeached. I wanted him gone. Lost no sleep when he lost and contributed to it by not voting for him.
    Yet I say he isn't my own and you disagree?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Again, if people from the right attack you, they are on your side and are eating their own.
    If you attack somebody on the right, they are not on your side, so you are not eating your own.

I know to those that have a massive blindspot that might boggle their mind, but that is how you have framed the world.

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I think all you do on this board is play nonsensical semantic games.

• Winner Winner x 4
  17. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    A shame she didn't include those comments. I think they would have provided a more compelling, complete, and nuanced portrait of RBG instead of who Couric wanted her to be.

18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I mean, you had to clarify that you only attacked him for his Anti-McCain statements after you voted for him (not the many that he gave before you voted for him), so that you could classify him as out-group so that you couldn't be accused of "eating your own."

19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    It doesn't have any meaning already. As I posted earlier, her comments were reported at the time, people got mad, she apologized, and no one even remembers it happening 5 years later.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Whatever it takes to avoid challenging your own theories. Can't have that.