Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Katie Couric covered up RBG's dislike for taking the knee during the national anthem.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Oct 14, 2021.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

People are calling the comments racist now AND dragging Catie along as a racist enabler now.
    That blue bird is on fire. Tweet Tweet.

2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    "People" is doing a lot of work there. Is that 2 people or millions? :)

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So you were eating your own when you attacked Trump for attacking McCain?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Because it was a liberal icon offering an opinion that happened to align with that of someone that liberals were attempting to brand as being a racist for holding that opinion.

Stated differently, I suspect she censored it not because she wanted to protect Ginsburg from identifying herself as a racist, but for the exact opposite reason: that having perhaps the most widely beloved liberal icon around say that publicly would cut against the liberal talking point that anyone who holds that particular opinion must be racist.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I just read the part Tilly posted but let me she… she called it “dumb and disgraceful” which was published? She had edited out “contempt for a government…”?

Seems like the gist was in there. Is it really that big of a deal?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Hint: the reason it didn’t make it in (and why that’s a big story) is because “contempt for the government” sounds much closer to the “un-American” or “disrespecting the troops” lines that the media was busy blasting conservatives for than does “Kaepernick is dumb.”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    There were a lot of liberals with the same opinion though. I think people have come around after the fact post-Floyd, but at the time of Kaepernick's kneeling it certainly was not any kind of liberal orthodoxy. Lots of board liberals were like "he's doing it wrong" if he wants to support this cause. And that's basically Ginsburg's view too. And if it were so vital to protect her image, why tease it and release it in a tell all book lol? Couric is really doing her dirty lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  8. tilly

Trump isn't my own.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Good point. There is too much mob mentality today, esp. in social media. Without context, w/o sufficient opportunity for RBG to explain her logic, there's a risk that the mob will pounce. Couric's biggest mistake was bringing this to light after the fact.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Didn't you vote for him while he was doing that? You said the people attacking you (i.e., supporters of Trump) were attacking their own when they attacked you. It seems like when Trump supporters attacked you, they were attacking their own, but when you attacked Trump, then suddenly they aren't your own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Similar to what you were talking about, it seems you get ostracized from the right for going against Trump. Cheney and Romney are being something like “cancelled” for saying that they felt the election was legitimate.

13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    I scrolled through a little, plenty of people are certainly calling it out because it was bad practice to hide those comments. What I didnt see is lots of people calling Couric or RBG racist.

14. tilly

The tweets I am referring too happened when he was POTUS. The tweets I spoke out against were after he was POTUS.
    I never said "they" werent my own. I said TRUMP is not my own.

Of course, I am a conservative and a conservative attacking me for defending senator McCain would qualify as attacking their own?

What point are you trying to manufacture here? I have never denied that righties attack righties. You are the one "wondering" if I would call it out. Yet I have.

You are rewriting the story and moving goal posts here.

So let me be clear. BOTH sides eat their own. I have can will call both sides out when they do it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Yes, her comments came out at the time (though I guess I didnt realize they were somewhat sanitized), which I said earlier in the thread.

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So basically, if a righty attacks you, eating their own.
    If a lefty attacks any other lefty, eating their own.
    If you attack a righty, not eating your own.

The point is to point out that it is a fundamentally out-group explanation that never gets applied to whatever group you are defining as your in-group right now.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Hey guys, I dont think CNN got the memo about protecting liberal icons (note the date of the article):

Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Kaepernick protests: 'I think it's dumb and disrespectful' | CNN Politics

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He's doing his best to avoid the story itself, since it makes the MSM look bad. Don't play his game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    And that is why the "eating their own" accusation is so absurd. Basically, Tilly opens with his hypothesis ("THIS is a perfect example of why people dont trust media anymore. It is very one sided (ideologically)."). Then, the "ideological" media attacks this, which should be a signal that this isn't acceptable to that "ideological" media. So, instead of updating his beliefs, it is much easier to dismiss it with a pithy "eating their own" accusation while not updating his beliefs to include the fact that the ideological media is criticizing Couric's actions. Because it can't be that they covered it, criticized the quote back then, now are further criticizing Couric's actions because then they might be trustworthy. And that can't be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1