Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Feb 28, 2019.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    About 20 years ago, I lived in Durango, CO. I was cross country skiing & passed Kareem on the trail. It's hard to miss a 7 footer on skis. He lived down that way for a while & coached a Navajo BB team.

• Like Like x 2
  2. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    It's only he was better at Jeopardy. :)

3. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He always appeared aloof, detached, as if I have no need to connect/talk with you. I never met him, but it was a persona he sent.

I did meet and talk to Bill Russell in early 1990's, his entourage seemed to want to keep people away, but he did engage w/ me for about 3-5 minutes on the events of the weekend.

Darryl Griffin , Dr Dunkenstien, former Louisville and Utah Jazz player, was a lot of fun to talk to, very engaging and seemed like a nice guy. As was Butterbean Love of old Chi Bulls.

Charles Barkley is by far the most approachable and kindest. I met him once and he went on and on about sports then gave an opinion using the word "turribull"

The most approachable and engaging basketball player, excluding Gators, was an ex coach I met and talked to for about 5 minutes. He was to sign his book and when I told him it was for a friend, he asked a lot of questions about my buddy, then put a hilarious comment in. John Wooden.

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I've played pick-up games with a lot of guys that played in the NBA. Most of them before, but a number after.

But my favorite brush with greatness was sitting next to Bo Diddley on a flight from Atlanta to Gainesville. We talked about music for at least 30 minutes before he was recognized and then he had to go into his shtick.

I felt sorry for him. He was way better than that. He is a musical hero to me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I actually have a Lew Alcindor rookie card. It’s just in some box in the garage, because I don’t know what else to do with it, but I have it!

6. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow...
    What a story! I must say, that as a musician (and especially as a Blues Affectionado)... I am totally envious of your one on one visit with Bo Diddley!
    My closest connection with Mr. Diddley was when I performed on stage with Bo's daughter (who is a drummer) at Lillian's in downtown Gainesville.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1