Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar auctioning four NBA championship rings among other memorabilia for his charity
    Abdul-Jabbar's Skyhook Foundation helps kids learn STEM

Sorry I couldn't properly link the article.

Thought some may be interested. Kareem is my all-time favorite hoopster.
    Grew up with him you might say and closely monitored his entire 20 year career.

Kareem leads an inspiring life. He seems to be doing as well off the court when
    it comes to humanitarian or social work as he did on it.

I will never forget what Bill Russell used to say about Kareem when Bill was an
    NBA announcer: Kareem's shot is less a basketball "shot" and more of an artistic,
    graceful and iconic thing of beauty. (Not a direct quote / going by memory).

It was also as nearly unstoppable as any move in basketball which his 38,000 points is
    a direct testimony too.

I am not a hero worshipper or feel a need to ingratiate myself in the lives of others but Kareem is a person I would genuinely like to meet.

To a career and a life...…...well lived.

Thank you Kareem.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I saw he was on an episode of The Big Bang Theory a week ago, along with William Shatner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    The sky hook!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He was the reason I was a Lakers fan. Like @Gatorhead I followed his career all the way back to his college days at UCLA.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Did he ever give up his day job as a copilot?

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lew Alcindor. He grew up Catholic in the next neighborhood to mine, over the 207th Street bridge from from where I was in the west Bronx he was in the Inwoood section of northern Manhattan. There was hope that he would go to my school, St. Nicholas of Tolentine which had a winning tradition in basketball and a spacious and modern gym. He went to Power Memorial, also in the NYC Catholic High School Athletic Association in downtown Manhattan on W. 61 st Street. I played in that gym on our freshman team. There was an elevated track on the second level above the court. It was all wood and I can still smell it. This was ancient even then, 50 years ago. Fast forward 40 years and I am at a conference with my company in Chicago at the same time the NBA big conference was being held. I walk on the elevator and big Kareem was in the car. I was a little stunned. "Why didn't you go to Tolentine?" He wasn't in the mood to talk.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    You are really old. Not as old as @wingtee who was old when Columbus landed, but old nonetheless. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    During my freshman summer at UF, I worked for my brother, a remodeling contractor. One day the foreman sent me out to the trailer to retrieve the "sky hook" for him. I searched and searched that trailer for a good 30 minutes but was unable to find the box labelled "sky hook."
    Feeling like a complete failure, I returned to the foreman to tell him the news. Standing next to him was my brother. I told them the news and they had a good laugh at my expense as there is no such thing as a "sky hook," except in basketball.

Kareem was an amazing basketball star. He seems to be an great person off the court as well.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Oh yeah, sky hooks, board stretchers, and the like were always great with the newbies.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I also admire him greatly.

11. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Like going to camp and being told to go get 50 yards of yellow shoreline.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Neat stories guys. I grew up on Long Island and played on a traveling all-star basketball team with Phil Weber, who later coached for Norm Sloan with Gators, where we ran into each other again. Phil went to NC State. Also played with Bret Bearup who went to UK, and tragically died last year at 56 of a coronary while reading in bed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The second item about my Kareem story, which I thought was too much to add, was that Mary Tyler Moore was in that same elevator car. STG it is true. Who would believe me if I told that whole story? Probly nobody. I did not try to talk to her. It was surreal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    My almost brush with fame—I was considering two majors. I attended a school that had the major I slightly preferred. The other was at UCLA in the same department/same class as “Lew”

• Like Like x 2
  15. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    MTM captured my heart at an early age when she was on the Dick Van Dyke Show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Another almost brush with fame. My MA thesis involved interviews with professionals in a certain field. I’m interviewing this guy in the 60th or so tv market, and The Dick Van Dyke show is on the TV set behind him. MTM comes on screen and he casually says “That’s my ex-wife.” I’m about 23 and like, whoa! If you want to check, his name was Richard (Dick) Meeker.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    I will always remember as a young boy at the age of seven or eight watching Mary Tyler Moore on TV.
    She was on the Tonight Show?...and was dancing to some seductive, Latin song.
    She was wearing some black, tight outfit with some sheer black sexy stockings.
    ...it was the first time in my life that I felt "funny" in my life.
    I did not tell my mother about this...
    :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    I admire him too. I'm the same age as Kareem or Lew Alcindor as they called him in High School. Because of him the dunk became illegal back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Great posts -
    Go2gtr - that would have been an unreal elevator ride! KAJ and MTM? What a mix of celebrities.

Closest I ever got to the big guy was Seattle, on a business trip and caught "Show-Time" Lakers won. Kareem had his typical great game.

Oh and Grateful, if you hunt, look me up, I know an excellent "Snipe" field
    where you can catch them by hand!!

20. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I still don't get why nobody uses the sky hook anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2