Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Juwan Howard throws punch at Wisconsin coach

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorMcCluskey, Feb 20, 2022.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll say this, I don't think Gard should have returned fire by cussing back at Howard (despite the jacket grab, despite being cussed at first). That's not an effort to de-escalate. I don't think that the elbow grab was inappropriate. I'm not sure to what extent either coach's cussing rises to the level of "fault," but no doubt Gard's comment was not an effort at de-escalating the encounter. In terms of fault, Howard was the instigator in this in every way. Could Gard have responded better? No doubt, but Howard was the unreasonable one here.

In my opinion, yes. It was not an offensive grab by reasonable standards, it looked to me like he was trying to confront Howard man-to-man, but not in a "let's go" kind of way. That's just an unreasonable interpretation by Howard, again, in my opinion.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    i can respect that. i will offer some advice tho, if u know a 6'10 man is very angry with you, please don't initiate contact with him.

regardless of the reason. just let him be irrational and you just go on about your day.

every single person in this thread knows juwan was wrong (including me). im just amazed that there is a pretty sizable group that doesn't think gard did anything wrong at all.

but its all love tho, i enjoy the banter on these boards, and hearing other views for my own personal growth.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t think it was “right”, nor “wrong”. It was a benign act in order to offer explanation. The only reason it is under scrutiny….. if it even is … is due to the insane reaction of Howard. And that reaction culminated well after the “arm grab”.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Obviously I can't prove it but I have a feeling Howard would have lost it if Gard chose to smile at Howard or refrain from making any contact but still respond given that Howard took a swipe well after any contact was made. He had to be restrained before. Dude has an anger problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    i can't prove this either, but i have a feeling the asst coach doesn't get slapped if gard doesn't grab juwan.

not saying you're wrong about the anger problem, but there's a line of big 10 coaches with anger issues, see izzo last year with his own player.

our former football coach almost incited some brawls as well against vandy and mizzou.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Another aspect to this story....

This suspension may well act the same as when a coach gets teed up --- resulting in a more "energized" team.

Will be interesting to see how the players respond on the court.

7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Mullen is pretty much the only guy that came close to what Howard did and while he was angry he still eventually met face to face with Drinkowitz on the field without getting physical. Vandys coach was nearly on our sideline when he was mouthing off to the bench. In any event our staff still took quite a bit of criticism from our own fans about losing his cool and rightfully so.

I don't think even muschamp has come close to swinging on anything other than whiteboards lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The vandy issue was on Grantham. Mullen and Mason are actually close friends.

The Mizzou thing started when they tried to break Trask after the whistle before halftime.

Both of those were in game and the refs did a terrible job in both cases.

In game stiff at least still has a heat of competition element.

The Michigan game was long over with.

9. hobegator

hobegator Junior

May 16, 2017
    Hobe Sound
    This was from page 1 and a pretty accurate prediction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    The Body Language of Touch

11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Amen to this!

• Agree Agree x 1