Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Justice Dept Drops Flynn case

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator515151, May 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yeah, right after Russia interfered in our election and was sanctioned for it seems like a particularly bad time for a party who benefited from it to start negotiating against the Administration in office by implying that the new Administration was going to drop the sanctions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. g8rnbft

g8rnbft GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Care to put quotation marks at that "implication" ?

3. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Check the last page.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This was basically the start of the Trump administration telling the Russians that it is ok for you to interfere in our elections as long as it is to Trump's benefit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. g8rnbft

g8rnbft GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Nope - you have the transcripts. Take from them a quote of what words Flynn spoke and put quotation marks on the implications "that the new Administration was going to drop the sanctions".
    If you don't know how to do that I am sure someone on here would help you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I posted excerpts from the transcript on the last page. Read it.

Do you know what the world "imply" means? If you don't know, I am sure someone on here will help you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Flynn should really get a medal for managing to be one of the few people in the country to actually violate the Logan Act. Because the Logan Act requires the citizen to influence the foreign policy of another country to the US. So, the Logan Act is nearly impossible to violate. This textbook meets that element.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    But, Flynn then lied to Pence when Pence asked him. So, Flynn was not speaking for the incoming administration. He knew what he was doing was wrong and unauthorized. And, then he lied to the FBI.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Except Flynn then lied to Pence. Why would he do that? Maybe because he was rogue?

But, it was a nice thank you for the Russian interference, wasn't it. Do you think Kislyak, knowing he was being recorded, would have mentioned that?

You do know that Kislyak knew he was being recorded; that all of his conversations were recorded.

When Flynn lied to Pence, Flynn was compromised by this call.

No way he could be DNI.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    W
    What “common enemy” is the traitor referencing - the Democrats?

11. gogata125

gogata125 Junior

May 25, 2020
    America

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    He was referring to ISIS. The interference in the election was less of a factor to value for the incoming administration because it was on their side.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Sorry, I don’t see anything where Flynn implies that they will drop the sanctions. He is telling the Russian Ambassador that he realizes that the Russian government needs to respond to the Obama sanctions but is letting him know if they escalate the situation above and beyond, it will have a negative impact on the US and Russia’s ability to work together in the Middle East, which is clearly Flynn’s focus.

Bottom line, after reading those transcripts it is clear Flynn was not an active, willing agent for the Russian government. The FBI could no longer claim that he was and that is why the Logan Act was floated by the Obama admin folks. Then the Special Counsel team decided to move forward with the extremely tenuous Lying to the FBI charge hoping use the might of the US Government to wear Flynn down which is eventually what happened.

This was a BS case for the Muller Special Counsel to move forward with as a criminal case. Seeing is what we now know about how this case was handled and who was actually running the Special Counsel team and his recent actions, the DOJ was clearly in the right dropping this case.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    That's one way to spin it. The other way to spin it is that he's trying to undercut the sanctions by telling the Russians not to respond harshly so that the Trump Admin isn't boxed in, can back off the sanctions, and have a positive relationship with Russia. After all, Russia just helped them win the election.

Regardless of how you want to spin it, Flynn did exactly what he was accused of doing. And then he lied about doing it to the FBI, Pence, and others. It only confirms that there was no conspiracy against him.

"Tenuous"? LOL. Must be nice in whatever fantasy you inhabit. There was nothing weak about the lying to the FBI case. They had him by the balls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    Wow!!!!!!!!!’ Amazing!!!!’n

16. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I'm sorry but you who is assuming things not shown in the transcript. Please show me specifically where Flynn said he would drop the sanctions that the Obama Admin had just announced.

The FBI had no predict to interview Flynn based on his calls with SK. They showed he was not an active, willing agent of the Russian government. Despite that, Comey sent his agents in to interview him on that basis, completely screwed up the 302's, and then Weismann decided despite all of that, to pursue Flynn for lying to the FBI. That is a good definition of tenuous. The only thing the government had on Flynn was a much, much, much larger budget.

I try hard not to be insulting. I would appreciate it if you extended the same courtesy even if you disagree with my points or opinions.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    It's called reading between the lines. "I want to caution you not to respond harshly. We don't want to be boxed in." "Well, I will convey that to Moscow, but you know how they're feeling. These sanctions hurt the FSB and GRU, who are the ones fighting the terrorists in the Middle East. Does America really want to fight our common enemy?" "Just don't respond harshly. We can't be forced into a tit for tat. When we get into office, we'll have much friendlier conversations and can talk about how we move forward. We definitely want to fight our common enemies in the Middle East with you."

Yeah, it's hard to figure that one out. I guess in your mind if a husband tells a suspected hitman, "I need you to look after my wife. I'll pay $10,000 when the job is done. Make sure she doesn't suffer any pain." that must mean that he just wants the hitman to guard his wife!

Wrong. Even your favorite IG Report concluded the opposite.

Wrong again. They had Flynn dead to rights for lying to the FBI. And he knew it. Are you alleging that Flynn did not lie to the FBI?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    Do you have a link to the evidence to support your uh ...... oh excuse me, theory? Or, is this just another Trump-hater wound contrivance?

19. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Some things are so apparent that you don’t need links. Take your head out of the sand.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    In the end, it does not matter what was discussed. It was clear that Flynn was not an active Russian agent by the transcripts. That is the only thing of importance with this transcripts.

Wrong. The IG stated the original Crossfire Razor was properly predicated to be opened but did not discuss this incident, just the opening. This investigation was scheduled to be closed because no derogatory info on Flynn was ever turned up. These transcripts clearly show Flynn was not a willing, active agent of the Russian government, so the FBI could not use these calls to say they were questioning Flynn about being such an agent as they were clearly exculpatory.

It was fruit from a poisonous tree. It doesn't matter if Flynn lied or not. The FBI had no basis to question him and were abusing their power to do so.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.