Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just stopping by to provide a bit of an update about my health journey

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mutz87, Sep 20, 2022.

1. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    As some of you know, I've been on a journey to get healthy and back to living how I used to. Hence, my self-imposed time out from Too Hot :)

In 2020, I was diagnosed with two autoimmune disorders (Graves Hyperthyroidism & Thyroid Eye Disease) and in March 2022, I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. I was also morbidly obese @ 323lbs, down from my highest weight of 340lbs at the beginning of the pandemic, but this was after having gained over 100lbs since 2008ish.

It was the diabetes diagnosis that got me off my fat butt. A switch went off in my head when I heard the diagnosis and saw the results. Thing is, I had worked in the fitness industry for a decade when I was in my 20s until I went to grad school and was an athlete, but this history didn't motivate me as I continued to gain weight and suffer from anxiety--mainly work-related stress post-grad school that I never handled well.

Anyway, I'm now at the 6-month mark of my journey, which includes healthy eating and intermittent fasting, and 5-6 days of walking, trail hiking, or running, and 3-4 days of resistance training. I also don't allow myself to sit longer than one-hour, not without getting up and walking around or doing chores of some kind.

And my my have things changed. So much so that despite my years in fitness, I was surprised at just how well and quickly my body has responded.

Thus far since April 1st:

I've lost 75lbs (down to 248lbs).

Goal weight: ~175lbs, thus I still have nearly another 75lbs to go, maybe a little more; we'll see when I get near there.

Hemoglobin A1C (blood glucose over the prior 3-4 month period): Down to 6.0 from 8.8 (normal range is 4.0 - 5.7). I'm almost there!

Thyroid: Two of three thyroid biomarkers associated w/my autoimmune disorders have normalized (T4 & TSH) while the third, TSI, is still high but improving rapidly.

No apparent fatty liver (thankfully but none was ever detected, surprisingly)

Cholesterol: Total, triglycerides, and LDL all normal (my triglycerides were high back in March); still have low HDL but that might be a genetic predisposition. Dug out some old records, it's been this way for over 2 decades.

Blood Pressure: Regularly normal readings (I was at Stage 1 Hypertension for at least 5 years)

Resting Heart Rate: ~58bpm; down from 105bpm

Also going through a second major treatment for my thyroid eye disease. The first time, I didn't help myself by changing my lifestyle; this time, I did and the effects of TED have diminished nearly completely. Although there's no cure for this autoimmune disorder.

Still have a long way to go to reach my goals, but hitting the shorter term ones well ahead of the timeline I set out.

I have to say that I feel like a different person. Feel much more like "myself" again. Even if still obese by current metrics, I don't feel like I am. I get good sleep and have much more energy and mental clarity, and just feel so much better that it's hard to fully explain.

And the truth is, it hasn't been all that hard to accomplish once I got going. It's not as if I starve myself (despite regularly fasting) or deprive myself of all good tasting (junky) food, or kill myself with ridiculously exhaustive exercise. I don't but I have been consistent and committed. I'm determined to never going back to where I was at in March.

• Like x 25
    • Friendly x 10
    • Best Post Ever x 9
    • Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Congratulations! Keep up the good work and wishing you the best.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was just thinking about you the other day wondering where you disappeared to, sorry I should have reached out. Congrats on the weight loss and other improvements, keep up the great work.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I was wondering about you just the other day.
    Super good news Mutz! Thanks for sharing and keep it going. Don’t be a stranger.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    That’s amazing!! Good for you & good to hear from you. No joke, I am lying in bed at 5pm & now reading this I am heading to the gym!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Literally was about to post this.
    Should have PM'd you Mutzy, but assumed you were just on a break.

Really happy to hear all the good news! Keep it up brother!

I have never struggled in this area, bit both parents have and seeing that first hand when their house qas being repaired for a month after a hurricane made me notice how much they struggled to do some normal things. Got back in the gym (my wifes been forcing healthy food on us for years already ;)) and feel great.

Its about choices and the right ones are life altering!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Keep going. Winning feels good!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Go Mutz! Happy to hear you're thriving! Keep it up, my friend!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Great work! Keep at it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What I found in my journey is that the hardest part is the first part. Having the courage to try, and face possible failure in your attempt takes courage.
    Congratulations on your progress.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh man, that’s so great to hear, Mutz. Sounds like you’ve really tuned a corner. Thanks for updating us.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    God Bless you and Godspeed on your journey

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Best of luck in your health journey.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Pretty similar story here.

Fortunate to be an " eat to live not a live to eat guy". Used to work with a couple of guys that could barely get up a flight of stairs, swore that would never be me.
    I'm a big sweets guy, but my wife manages to sneak veggies in everywhere she can and we rarely eat meat anymore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. back2back2006

back2back2006 GC Legend

Mar 1, 2017
    Shallotte, NC
    Congrats Mutz!! Super proud of you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Wow. Very impressive! Thanks for sharing with us. Happy for you!

I hope you have lots of different support mechanisms at hand. Don't hesitate too add this TH thread as another. Wouldn't it be great for TH to help change lives for the better?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    MUCH RESPECT! You need to be very proud of your strength and desire to do better! Respect Always from Me and my family.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks for the update buddy. So happy to hear about your results. Keep it up! After reading your posts in the Pub, I was inspired to check out the IF. Have just dabbled, but lost about 10lb and will continue to keep things going in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Great to hear that! The connections between physical and mental health are so complex that it is always great to get a handle on both, as I don't think anybody can seriously deal with one without the other. Great to hear that it is going well and best wishes for continued progress!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Good news. I really admire your willpower. So many backslide, like yours truly, but you have some good reasons not to even entertain the thought. The cool thing is, the people who love you the most are awfully proud of you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1