Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just Some Thoughts

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, May 17, 2019.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It was not the greatest of weeks for the staff. They can reverse that quickly with a good weekend of recruiting.

Steele: This will hopefully be the last I address this issue. Chris was homesick and momma was in his ear everyday to come back home. What does not make sense is Oregon is on the west coast but not really home. My opinion is Chris used the JJ episode to go back to the west coast. Did the staff screw up? Yeah, but if a dude wants to go he will find a reason.

This staff can't recruit: Whoever thinks this is just silly. The world of recruiting is very competitive. No one will win them all. The board for each team is different yet every staff will lose more battles that they win. This staff may not be the best at recruiting but they are far from the worst. CDM will do what he feels necessary, as we all know he hates to lose.

I have a short list of who I believe to be the most coveted guy at each position.
    QB: AR and he is on board
    RB: Bowman, but UF will be fine with Rivers, Lee, Smith or several others.
    OL: Braun, I think he is a beast. Next would be Javion Cohen
    TE: UF has Johnson, Odom is next.
    DT: Tim Smith
    DE: Chantz Rivers
    LB: Romello Height
    DB: Jahquez Robinson

Other Thoughts: The early signing date has changed recruiting. Guys will make decisions sooner then in the past. So while the class is almost half done, UF needs to lock the later part of the class down sooner rather than later and leave a few spot for the late period.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you so much for the recruiting and insider info! Let’s get some good news this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Viva la cookout!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Well to be fair, it is tough to say "This staff can't recruit: Whoever thinks this is just silly" while in another thread saying you think we get no commits at the BBQ (and if we do it will be a non-needle mover like Odom or Simmons). Those two statements don't really go together. FWIW I think the staff can recruit at an above average level and we finish with a class ranked around 12-15. I just understand the frustration from the posters who are upset with recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Yeah, no one says our staff can’t recruit. Some of us think we need to recruit better to compete with the top programs for Nattys. For the life of me can’t figure out why people get offended by that view point or debate against it. It’s pretty much fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    "Pretty much fact" gave me a chuckle.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Probably because a year ago at this time we were a 4-7 program with a new head coach and outdated facilities that hadn’t been relevant in a decade. Mullen has had 17 months to turn around the perception of this program and swing nose to nose against teams with far more to offer. Given that reality, he’s done an outstanding job in recruiting. Some of y’all clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m not “offended” by all the whining and bitching — more surprised at the ignorance on display.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. robertgator

robertgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's a fact to become a Bama (or have the talent on hand that GA does now), we need to take it up a notch or two. I think when this fact is stated as if the person stating that fact is absolutely entitled to it become reality, FAST, or big changes should be made in the program, and that accepting less or accepting that it's something that might have to be grown into over some years, is accepting Mediocrity (rather than reality), it's a bit hard to take.

I think it's impossible to know if Mullen will get there or not. But he's a good coach, seems like a good man, and i myself am not going to whine every step of the way as we see if he continues to improve or plateau's at some point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    We aren't going to recruit like a Bama or Georgia unless we a.) upgrade our facilities to their level or b.) win at the level of an Alabama.

At this point I don't expect us to get five stars. I know at the beginning the recruiting season we all want to look at the biggest of the big names and hope we get them, but from what I can see we are an afterthought when it comes to the most elite of prospects. Our best bet is to keep hitting on our 4*'s and load up on them to where we keep winning on the field. Don't MacShannon this thing and stack this team with 3*'s so I can come on here and read dumb sh-- on this board about how this 3* is really good and that 3* is really good but no other coach in America knows it. The wins come on the field, the elite guys will start to really look at us.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Recruiting should pick up during the upcoming season.

Mullen has a good team (that will be more polished than last season) to show recruits. He has a top tier football center he can show recruits that the 2020 recruiting class will get to use.

With the new baseball stadium now under construction, Florida hopes to complete the stand-alone football facility by the end of 2021 so the 2020 recruits will get to use it.

Steele would have been Wilson's back up. With Dean playing well last year at CB we still have a top CB back up if Wilson gets injured again. Mullen just needs to fill Steele's slot with another top DB. With CJ Henderson a likely first round pick at CB that is good advertising to potential CB recruits.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Dan just needs to keep the program moving forward. He's made incredible strides in the 18 months he's been here in recruiting, facilities, and of course on Saturdays in the Fall and there's no reason to think it won't continue. We're gonna have a deep, talented, and experienced team next year and with our (tougher) schedule he'll have a chance for some big wins.

Unfortunately, there's a vocal contingent of Gator fans that care more about what happens between the last day of the season and the first day of the season than vice versa, every recruiting setback is a cataclysm. As long as we land Byron Cowart, we'll be fine...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

That's what I said I'd heard about Steele too.... mama wanted her homesick little boy back close to home. Steele can deny it all he wants, but my source at UF knows several people on the Football staff and Steele's homesickness was well-known.

Good stuff Candy. Thanks for all the great recruiting info too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Most of you are level headed when it comes to recruiting. I agree that UF needs to do better.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Legend

Sep 4, 2017
    I hear you but I think with recruiting, as far i'm starting to see, is just don't strike out on the ones you REALLY zone in on. Hit on your big targets and make sure your other recruits fit your needs and culture.

• Like Like x 2
  15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Senior

Aug 30, 2017
    What's fair about drawing a conclusion based on the possible response of a group of teenagers to an event that had not yet occurred when the comments you're referring to were originally posted? I'm not trying to be snarky, but the whining about the inadequate recruiting really does get old after a while. I'm probably as PO'd about the events of the last couple of weeks as anyone. But the hand wringing and fault finding with a staff that is clearly in rebuilding mode, is in fact a bit silly. We are just beginning to re-emerge from a decade of futility and irrelevance and it will take time to get back to where we all want to be. Is there plenty of room for improvement? Of course there is. But I don't think anyone has said otherwise, so the "burying our heads in the sand" nonsense that started this current debate was, and still is, a bunch of baloney.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I just don't think a top shelf football program can host one of these big recruiting events and not land at least one good player. Again I think these guys are above average as recruiters (Mullen is great on game day though) but there is at least some cause for concern. I remember last year we looked pretty bad at this time, but ended #9 so I know not to count this staff out on landing a solid class. I just think you can count them out on landing a top 5 class and that's probably why the hand wringing on this board.

17. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen recruited Grimes and Van Jefferson. Watch them show out and impress recruits this season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I agree they will. I wonder if that was tough to do though. Grimes wanted to come to Florida to be close to his mom and Van should been a Gator all along.

19. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Recruiting is important but not everything. Clemson's rankings over the last few years have been mentioned by a few people on this board before, so I won't list them again. It does highlight the fact that you don't have to secure a top 5 class every year to consistently compete at a top level every year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Which is why I don’t think UF and our staff screwed up.

• Agree Agree x 2