Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just Sayin' (All UF Sports Rankings)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jan 28, 2018.

1. nease98

nease98 Junior

Aug 24, 2017
    Saint Augustine
    I'm not Lavar Ball. I haven't had to push anything on her luckily. I'm just there to support her. She came to me asking to do the camp at UF. A few years ago I made a comment like, 'Hey, the gators have a camp for softball if you'd like to do it one day.' Only time I ever had to say anything and she's been asking every year at her bday if she's old enough to do the gator camp. In all honesty I had forgotten about it as she's been doing the ones at Jax U during the summer. Because she wants to do the camps. Part of that is just getting her outside more. I don't care what sport my kids play they just have to do something and stay active. See way to many kids these days that are beyond lazy. She tried surfing and didn't care for it so I'm not going to harp on it. She loves running and doing cross country for her school. Only push I have on my kids is just do something even if you're not good at it. Just being part of a team is so important in social aspects of life and building lifelong friendships. She has read this to me so many times that it's nice to see my 8 year old have passion for something and go for it >>> http://amanda-scarborough.com/10-reasons-softball-can-change-your-life/ She may never pitch for the Gators but at least I know it wasn't because she didn't try. I had my time in the sun already, now it's her turn to shine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I coach HS in track/ cross-country for 15 years and have seen all sorts of "little league parents."

You sound like the best kind of parent with a great perspective.

You are right just being a part of the team is what is important about sports.

Let me share one of my all-time favorite sports quotes- it came from Gretzky.

He said that often parents and their hockey playing kids would meet him and talk.
    The 2nd thing the parents would say to Gretzky was "Tell my kid to practice."

Instead Gretzky would look straight at the parents and say "No one ever told me to practice."

Meaning- they didn't have to.

3. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Great stuff about your daughter. Did you catch the thread I started last week regarding the 11 year old that commited to uf softball? The youngest kid to ever commit to play for a university.

What are your thoughts on that? She's friggin 11 and probably has trouble deciding how to wear her hair but she can make this decision?

5. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah but what's the first thing parents say to gretzky?

Did I miss the point of the story? ;)

6. nease98

nease98 Junior

Aug 24, 2017
    Saint Augustine
    I actually have a funny story about my daughter and UF. She's 8 now, to give you some context she was 5 at the time when this happened. I had to visit with the admission's counselors on my MBA program during the summer but I didn't have a babysitter. I emailed them asking if she could come with me and they said of course. We get there and she has a foam gator figure holding a briefcase and wearing a suit for the business school. She gives her the toy and we go in her office and I have a few questions about the program and make small talk etc. Halfway through one of her answers, my daughter, says, "Excuse me, I have a question to ask too." Carrie (the counselor) says of course, my daughter looks her dead in the eye and says, "I think I'm going to come to school here. How can I go to school here too?" Carrie laughs and my daughter goes, "No, I'm serious I'm going to go to school here." Then she just says well I guess we have officially gotten our youngest commitment ever at Hough. Then she goes on about make sure you do good in school, do your homework, ask lots of questions and in 13 years we will see you back here. My daughter smiled real big and she said, "Oh I will be back." It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. We had a tour of the business school and my daughter made herself at home everywhere.

All joking aside, an 11 year old is too much of a risk. They could get hurt, they change their mind about what shoes they are going to wear every morning. You'd also have to think there will be some coaching turnover in the next 8 year before this kid even starts college.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GATORJV

GATORJV All American

Oct 10, 2014
    This is the best way to be. My sister became one of the top cross country runners in Florida because my parents had the same outlook as you. She went on to run cross country at Vandy while studying engineering.

My other sister was recruited by UCLA and a few other places for softball, but decided not to play.

I will do the same thing as you when I have kids. Kudos.

8. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    We are the only SEC school that plays Lacrosse . That’s kind of bs

10. panther football

panther football Sophomore

Feb 2, 2017
    Several SEC teams play men's soccer including USC and I believe Vandy

11. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Minor correction: Vanderbilt.

12. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]

13. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting that the Wikipedia list of all-time NCAA championships by school ranks UF as 12th in national championships with 39, but has Michigan and Cal tied for 10th with 36 apiece. Seems like UF should be above both.

They also have LSU ranked lower than 2 schools with fewer total national championships. Those are the only two anomalies, otherwise the list is in order by total # of championships. Not that a wiki list matters, but am I missing something here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_schools_with_the_most_NCAA_Division_I_championships

15. nease98

nease98 Junior

Aug 24, 2017
    Saint Augustine
    I think UK is the only SEC school that has a rifle team. I don't think I've heard of a UF rifle team.

16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Bs there too . I’m sure UK Calais an SEC CHAMP from this

17. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
  18. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]

19. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Since they began fielding intercollegiate athletic teams in 1946, FSU has won 14 national championships in nine sports.

https://www.fsu.edu/athletics/

20. mulegator

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    The University of Florida’s entomology department is the best in the world, and a host of other UF programs rank in the top 10 globally from among more than 26,000 degree-granting institutions of higher education, according to the 2017 Center for World University Rankings list.

The programs, followed by their world rank and their score, are:
    • Entomology (World Rank: 1, Score: 100.00)
    • Zoology (World Rank: 4, Score: 87.78)
    • Mycology (World Rank: 8, Score: 83.42)
    • Agriculture, Dairy & Animal Science (World Rank: 9, Score: 92.56)
    • Biodiversity Conservation (World Rank: 9, Score: 89.55)
    • Horticulture (World Rank: 9, Score: 90.63)
    • Psychology, Applied (World Rank: 9, Score: 91.57)
    • Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism (World Rank: 10, Score: 79.86)
    The CWUR Rankings by Subject 2017 rank the world’s leading universities in 227 subject categories, based on the number of research articles in top-tier journals. Data is obtained from Clarivate Analytics (previously the Intellectual Property and Science business of Thomson Reuters).

http://news.ufl.edu/articles/2017/0...10-in-the-world-according-to-new-rankings.php