Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just How Exceptional of a Coach is Billy Napier?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Aug 2, 2022.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    I, for one, hope it's 9-3, and that will be one helluva start for Billy!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    Regardless of prognostications about the 2022 record, I am encouraged by the player's viewpoint about the new culture change. Clearly, they could be butt-hurt about Mullen departing, yet they REALIZE DISCIPLINE AND ACCOUNTABILITY WAS NEEDED FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM! Coach Napier has the team focused and on the same page. I am excited, as the team is functioning as a unit. I expect Napier will have them ready to play on September 3 against Utah. I feel guardedly optimistic that Utah will know why the Swamp is to be feared!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Has there been a more epic first game to the season? At home?

Full compliment of kids and coaches. New coaches, new energy. Unless my Orange and blue glasses are skewing my objectivity (might of happened once :oops:) I truly see this as a very winnable battle in the Swamp. :eek: :p:cool: And it should be a rude awakening to our visitors.

Go Gators:)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hell , if if going to hope, beating Utah and LSU and 10-2 is hoping.I expect to win the other 8. It might not happen but I’m not predicting losses to scrubs like Kentucky and Tennessee.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf Junior

Jun 20, 2022
    The only first game I can remember that rivals this one on September 3 was the 1984 opener in Tampa vs defending champs UM. That was in Tampa, and we did not hold on (took lead 20-19 with a minute left). 4 weeks from now in Gator Country is going to be a different story. We are going to win, and it will be a night we all shall remember. Welcome, Billy Napier.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Let’s win a ball game

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    How bad was our on-field discipline last year?
    In Dan Mullen’s final season at the helm of the Gators, the team ranked No. 119 of 130 FBS programs in penalties per FBS contest (7.8).
    In Florida’s last three contests of the 2021 season we averaged an incredible 10 infractions per game.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. thatguy

thatguy Moderator

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks to @DeBigLeezard for his outstanding artwork

In 1990 and 2005 we had exciting new head coaches coming in with tremendous reputations and superlative track records. "Culture Change" were the words frequently applied to the Florida football program both years. Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer did not disappoint. They completely transformed Florida football.
    I expect nothing less with Billy Napier.

Head Coach Billy Napier ☀ Changing the Culture

Napier credits Florida's veteran players with leading throughout offseason

• Like Like x 2
  9. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    I thought so too. I guess my wife has been right all along - I have no idea what I’m talking about…!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    I have gamed this season every way I can think of (That's what off season boredom will do to you.) and to me we should do no worse than 7-5 with losses to Utah, Kentucky, LSU, Georgia and aTm. We could go 8-4 with a win over Kentucky or 9-3 with a win against Utah. I think 8-4 is about right with a possible upset win and/or an upset loss along the way.
    Give Napier a full year of recruiting and in 2023 the sky's the limit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    I have no fondness for Tennessee and Kentucky, but calling them scrubs is a bit much. Both are ranked in the top 25 (for good reason) the Gators are not. Most analysts favor Tennessee in Knoxville, and the Gators will have to play exceptional to win there. Yes, we have far better athletes, but AR will also have to play well; Hooker is going to win a lot of games for them. Kentucky comes to the Swamp, but Levis is one of the better quarterbacks we will face. Stoops will have his "scrubs" ready to play and may keep the game close. If AR plays well--executes, scores--we can beat anybody!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    Great point and I expect we should do far better. Better discipline should keep us in most of our games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s all true and we may be scrubs this year too. We blew out Tennessee last year. The rosters didn’t get turned upside down overnight. We had Emory and now have AR. If we can’t beat fringe ranked teams, we are still bad. If we lose to those guys, we could get run off the field in other games. I’m not expected 10-2, I’m hoping we are better than last year and have no reason to believe Tenn nor Kentucky will make any great jump. They should beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams. They may or may not be better than ol miss ans miss state. Average sec teams is all they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    From decades of Florida-UcheaT games played in Knoxville . . . the refs are usually worth 10-14 points to the dollies there, so Florida has to beat not only the other team but the team of refs. You saw their fans throwing everything they could get their hands on out to the field last year. Refs have historically been intimidated there. However, I think Florida will have a good to very good defense and defense travels well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    This is pretty much the nail hitting the head. Does Napier have the discipline himself to let an underperforming coach go. Or better yet, always has his eyes open for a better coach that fits what he wants to do and replace a current coach.

16. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    I will be surprised if we lose any games by the defense. As the offense goes, so the season! Consistent drives by the offense and scoring, I believe we will have a stellar record!

• Like Like x 1
  17. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    I am extremely impressed with Napier's communication skills. He is very deliberate to answer in generalities and not say more than is needed. I often listen hoping to hear more details, and he doesn't indulge in elaborating.

18. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Gotta disagree, we couldn't stop bammer, lsu, cocks, or Samford and lost 3 of those. AR doesn't have to play exceptional, but only reduce the poor-judgement INTs from the QBs last year, coupled with an improved D (how can be as bad with Grantham gone), and have more discipline (reduced penalties). Improve on those 3 factors would likely have resulted in at least 2 more wins last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Four page thread about our exceptional HC and we don't play our 1st game for another month.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    In the total team talent composite we were number 7 for last year while UTk was 19th and Kentucky was 31st. Neither team is recruiting in a way that will tighten that gap significantly. Great coaches can develop and make that gap smaller, and Stoops does that well. I have no faith that UTk will do that. They got wins last year the way their coach does it: by scoring a lot of points. When they played talented teams (early, middle and late in the year) there was no offense, and they lost badly.

• Agree Agree x 1